Roommates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roommates

I just received my room allocation for college, and even though everyone has his own bed/living room, I'll be sharing another living room, kitchen and bathroom with 2 other girls.
    I found one of them on facebook and we started emailing right away, I think she's really nice, so that's good! We don't know who the other girl is yet.

Now my SO is going to live in a different building, he'll have his own room, kitchen and bathroom. I can imagine the walls being pretty thin in both cases though, so that's going to be something we have to learn how to deal with. I want to have sleepovers and all, guess we just have to be quiet! But that's the same now, because the wall between my sisters room and mine isn't thick either.
    I'm very glad that I don't actually have someone sleeping in the same room as me!

Do you/your SO have a roommate? Has it been difficult for you at times? Let's talk about roommates!

My SO had a roommate when we met (and were LD). His roommate was an... interesting guy. They are still friends, though I don't deal with him any more. I'm glad they hang out, but I really don't want anything to do with him. To be fair, he warned me about him.

My SO and I met right before thanksgiving, and since we are both in college, that was just before a couple big breaks from school where we'd have a lot of time together. So we stayed at his place a lot during the breaks. We pretty much always just stayed in his room. I cooked for them both a couple times. Otherwise, I was very out of the way. One day, he came in and told my SO that he didn't want me to move in (I wasn't going to) because of some situation that had happened between them like 10 years prior. He said some pretty crazy, rude, mean things about me while I was in the room. Never even using my name. It was so odd. But my SO explained to him that it's our break from school and we'll stop being there so much once school is back in. He didn't have trouble again until spring break. We'd planned to spend a couple days at his place after going out of town, but when we got there, his roommate threatened to call the cops if I came in (I've NEVER done anything but hang out with my SO in their place). So we just left. Luckily, it's calmed down a lot since then... But that was just his craziness.

Other than that, there were just weird things... The bedrooms were separated by the bathroom and a hallway, so we didn't worry so much about noise, though we tried to stay quiet-ish if we knew he was still up. My SO is pretty sure that sometimes while we were... enjoying each other's company, his roommate would stand outside the door. I'm not so sure he was wrong.

Uck... I'm so glad he doesn't live there anymore.

I never had relationship troubles with my roommates before.
    Met online: Nov 2010 - Met in person: Nov 20, 2010
    Closed the distance: April 27, 2011
    Accepted to PhD program 200 miles away: March 2012
    LD again: July 24, 2012
    Left School and Closed the Distance for good: March 8, 2013
    Married: November 1, 2014
    Started job 200 miles away: February 23, 2015

Comment

I, thankfully, have been able to save money by living at home while I finish off school.

However, I have experienced all of my SO's roommates when I have gone to stay with him in his dorm. There have been some I have loved and some I absolutely loathed.
      Freshman year: He had one roommate that literally remained in his room almost all the time. They never saw him leave for class or come back. It was kind of creepy, but whatever. He had another roommate that went out all the time, brought girls home all the time. That roommate had a dad who was super high up in the Coca-Cola industry (I don't remember what he did now). He finally settled down to one girlfriend and proceeded to have loud sex almost every day...so, when I came in town, my SO and I got back at them tee hee! He only had ONE roommate that year that he enjoyed and they still had problems at times because he was a very close-minded person at times. They tolerated each other.
      Sophomore Year: My SO had one roommate that was an absolute womanizing pig. Could NOT stand him. He was a disgusting, stereotypical frat boy. Another roommate was always in his room and couldn't stand ANY type of noise. My SO and I would be watching TV in the living room at a moderate level. We never had the TV blasting, ever. He would come out of his room and be like, "PLEASE! TURN THAT SHIT DOWN!" It always startled me and it was completely unnecessary. He did that all year long. It was very obnoxious. During the Fall semester, he had a very sweet, humorous, down-to-earth roommate that was right next to him and they got along very well. I very much adore him. He and my SO still talk/hang and he and I text about sports. Then he left for another university and they received another roommate. He was a super big gamer and was hilarious. My SO enjoyed him also, but they never remained in contact.
      Junior year: He got a gentleman from my area who went out there because my university didn't have a film department. He was very sweet, but a typical guy from our Oklahoma area....country and rather close-minded, unfortunately. However, a good guy overall. He got one of his best roommates this year named Nick that was a very good friend and hilarious. Adore him. However, he had a terrible, awful, womanizing, lazy, arrogant, *@$%& next door to him that was just...a terrible person. Speaking about him just makes my blood boil, so we'll move on.
      Senior year: Best year Nick stayed, which was awesome. They are very close. They got Russell and Tim as their new roommates and they are both hilarious, loving boneheads and I adore them both. We actually have parties together in the dorm room now TOGETHER because he has roommates that he likes, they like him, they like me, and we all get along splendidly.

My SO has one more year left. Nick graduated, but Tim and Russell are staying So they are getting just one new roommate this coming Fall semester. They are hoping he will be just as cool. Fingers crossed.

*~*~*Forever & Always*~*~*

Comment

My boyfriend and I both had roommates and thin walls in college. We made due. We were quiet when we needed to be , but we def planned lots of sexy time when his roomates were out so we could be loud. Discuss it with your roomies. Most are fine with leaving for a few hours
        "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love " ~ Theodore Seuss Geisel.

Comment

I lived at home freshman year, but sophomore year I roomed with one girl named Emily for a semester. She was cool and we got along fine, but I had never had a roommate in my life, so honestly, I think I was the weird roommate. xD At least in her eyes I must have been. The only reason I appeared to be, however, was because my SO and I were in the same college sophomore year before he had to transfer schools, so whenever we were having alone time, it was just awkward, and I ended up making myself look weird. It's a difficult story to explain, but other than that, we got along fine. She respected me and vice versa. We weren't really friends, but we respected each other. Seriously though, my SO and I were caught in so many awkward moments, not doing anything bad, but it was so awkward when she walked in and I acted in a weird way. xD lmao. I'm pretty sure she thinks my SO and I are weird lol! We only roomed together for a semester before I moved out (to a single room that was on the center of campus). I initially moved out because I was on crutches that semester due to a terrible plantar wart xD. Sadly, our school is TINY, which means things spread. I'm pretty sure she must have told someone about me, which probably spread. lol

Junior year I roomed with a really good friend of mine from my major. We're still really good friends. We got along great and had some awesome times rooming together. I'm actually a little sad we're not living in the same apartment next year, nothing happened between us, so it's actually a lengthy story as to why I won't be next year.

Senior year hasn't happened yet, but I'll be living in an apartment style dorm with three other girls and I'll have my own room, so that'll be fun. Sadly, the apartments are for seniors only, and seniors like to party hard since it's their last year in college. I hope I get some sleep next year XD.
          Last edited by Yaaamiii; June 20, 2012, 09:36 AM.

Comment

My SO and I both have roommates. I'm not sure who I will be living with since I'm transferring in, but I love my SO's roommate. I'm really good friends with him, as well as some of my SO's other friends. I've never really had problems with roommates while my SO was around. We were quiet when we had to be, and they respected our desire for privacy. There was only one time that I can think of that his roommate walked in on us and it was awkward. Then, one of my roommates this past semester was from Morocco and didn't understand a lot of American customs (particularly dating and the need for privacy). Well long story short, we were 69'ing when we heard her key in the door. We asked her to hold on a minute, but she didn't hear us and walked in anyway. Thankfully we had scrambled fast enough to get under the covers

sigpic

Comment

His first year of college, his decline was precipitated by a roommate. Not to blame the guy at all, but if he hadn't been rushing a fraternity, then my SO would likely have not rushed and focused more on his studies. It's my SO's fault, but the roommate was an unfortunate catalyst. However, he's doing great now and I wish him the best even though joining the fraternity led to a slippery downhill slope for my SO's education.
              The next year, his roommates were really nice, however they had unfortunate habits that didn't help my SO. He was put on academic probation for the Spring semester. But he got to come home to me for a semester! Silver lining!
              Now... he's living with his brother and a roommate. It has been a problem this year because they're unfortunate habits have led to my SO losing motivation in school after having regained it when he was back here. I finally sat down and talked with him. He's talked to them and hopefully things will improve. If not, he may have to move in with his parents who now live only 40 min away from him after moving from here.
              As far as personal time? Roommates have never been an issue. Being at home has been the issue, is anything.

Comment

My SO and I met at college and had five months of sleepovers before he withdrew, he didn't have roommates but the walls were thin and I'm apparently loud. All the guys on his floor heard me multiple times, especially his neighbor, who turned into a pretty good friend of mine and he got a high five once or twice. I've gotten better at noise control since then. It is not even an issue unless we are in a hotel or entirely alone.

The only real problem we had was when he visited me this past April. I have a single room (I have it for the sake of being in a quiet building, which just happens to have all single rooms), but my neighbor took it upon herself to complain about his presence mostly on the grounds that she is a bitch. We had to stay in a hotel that night after a meeting with the Dean of Students. This same girl and I are on the same floor of the same building again, but I moved my room to the complete opposite end of the wall. I used to consider her a friend too.
                Last edited by 11MikesGirl21; July 21, 2012, 08:50 AM.
                ". . . We obviously have to come to accept it, but that doesn't stop it from gnawing at us day by day.
                The best we can do is enjoy our time together, anticipate our reunions, and remain passionate and loyal through distance." ~Mike <3

~*~11.21.2010~*~

Comment

My SO lives in a house with his brother and two others. I just got my room assignment. My roommates seem pretty cool and I can go to my SO's house for sexy times. Hopefully he will be moving into an apartment/condo of his own with his dad's help by next semester or so. His roommates are nice, but his brother doesnt like me and they have bad habits. We will work it out.

Comment

Oof, I had a roommate in first year and I'm so glad it's over. She was studious, so I liked how I was able to get work done in my room, but other than that, we had nothing in common. I tried so hard to find common ground but the conversation felt one-sided. It wasn't a communication barrier, but I feel like she didn't want to get to know me. She was an international student, so she'd do a lot of skype calls home (once, possibly twice a day) and she was unbelievably loud and her shrieking laughter was painful.. I had to ask her to take them outside. At least once afterwards, I had to wake up an hour early because she decided to take a skype call in the morning. I tried to be understanding and compromising, but when she had a problem with me, she would immediately make it into a huge issue and refused to see things my way. Everyone I know has told me I'd be an easy person to live with, but my old roomie and I just weren't meant to be =/

Live on my own now and the privacy and silence is the best thing ever.

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

my SO lives on college so pretty much there is a room next to him and opposite him and it goes along the corridor...is this making sense. Anyways he also has a balcony. Pretty much his friends are always trying to get in his room at the most awkward times... once while he was at class i had just gotten out of the shower and had a mad dash to his room to get changed and all of a sudden 3 of his mates are on the balcony staring at me changing, i think they were more embarassed. From now on they just knock and wait for a response...i think he has talked to them about certain rules that are in place when im visiting :P

Comment

Originally posted by MissButterfly View Post
                        I want to have sleepovers and all, guess we just have to be quiet!
                        Just make sure your roommate is okay with your boyfriend sleeping over first!

sigpic

Comment

I had a strange first year, because I was in a shared room, which is not very common in England. She had a boyfriend, and my SO was planning to come over at Christmas (we're also international). I freaked out when i found out i was sharing because i thought it would make my SO visiting impossible, and then I'd have had to wait a year to see him. I was lucky, as I ended up getting on well with both my roommate who I shared the room with, and another girl down the corridor. So when respective boyfriends came over to stay, we would stay in our flat mates room. Yeah, it was difficult, but I'm pretty sure that if you have your own BEDROOMS, then there shouldn't be too much of an issue. Just wait and see what your flatmate is like. People generally understand that having a boyfriend over means sex, and as long as you're reasonably respectful about it, most people wont make a fuss... One time my roommate accidentally had sex with her boyfriend in the shower with the door open... And we shared two showers between 14 people. In the end, it was more embarrassing for her than us.

Comment

Working...
                          X