He graduated...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He graduated...

So, my boyfriend and I were best friends for about a year and a half before we started dating. When we both finally realized that the other felt the same way, that we wanted to be more than friends, we started dating. The problem was, we started dating just 3 months before he was going to graduate. I'm 2 years behind him in school (but I'll be graduating early, so I only have 3 semesters to go!) and I'm from a town only about 20 minutes from the campus in central Mississippi. He's from the other side of the country in California.... 2,008 miles away to be exact. He was here for almost 2 years and due to the proximity I live from the school, he became a very intricate part of my life outside of school as well. We had dinners with my family almost every weekend and he attended the church I grew up in (I'm a biblical studies major, church is very important to me) as well as staying here 2 thanksgivings in a row and spending them with my family. Well, then he graduated and will be getting his teaching certification in California which will take him 2 semesters to get. He's been gone for almost 3 months, almost as long as we dated before he left, and I'm having a lot of trouble dealing with him not being here. When school starts back in the fall, I don't know how I'm going to go without him. He's not just my boyfriend, he's my best friend. Can anyone relate? Advice is also totally welcome.

I can kind of relate? My boyfriend and I were acquaintances in the past (we went to the same church as kids and teenagers.) Then I left for college. We hadn't even been friends, so he definitely dropped out of my mind. Fast forward 6 years!!! - My aunt set us up over Christmas break 2011. I finished my last 5 months of college - we were LD this whole time. I graduated and moved back to my parent's home. We were CD for 1 month before I left for China for 2 years.

Anyways, long story short, we've been apart way more than we've been together. It is hard. I enjoy the fact that we've gotten to know each other better and we've gotten much closer throughout this relationship. ALL we have is talking, so you find out so much about each other through that!

Sorry I am rambling now, I just identified with your post about being apart as long as/longer than you've been together!
    It takes work, but it is soooooo worth it!
    Best of luck!!!

Comment

I can kind of relate too. My SO and I had been friends for over a year when we started dating. After four months we had to say goodbye because I started my new job 5600 miles away. It's been six months with ups and downs and there's one more year to go! All I an say is: stay strong. It'll be hard but distance can be rewarding too. I've learned so much about myself and our connection has grown stronger. Our communication has been getting much better, something you don't pay too much attention to when you're cd, or at least I didn't, which I realize now, was totally wrong.
      The second advice is to stay busy. Don't dwell on the distance but go out there and enjoy yourself. Meet up with friends, start a new hobby to get your mind of things. I miss him and there's days I'd give anything to be close to him but I'm happy with my life. I love my job and I have great friends and family so I see the positives too, which I think is important. Lfad is a great place to spend time by the way

Comment

I can relate entirely. My boyfriend is 2 years older than me and graduated high school. Today he left for college which is 4 hours away, not quite as far as you, but a distance. We dated a little over 4 months before he left, and now i'm heart broken. We were friends for about a year before he left and now i'm completly heart broken. He was considered family with everyone in my family, and is my absolute best friend. He's going to college there for 4 years and then going into the army. I'm so afraid of what the future might hold. I bet you were so dependant on him, just like i'm dependant on my boyfriend. I'm completly lost without him and cry for hours straight at times. If you two are both honest and committed you can get through this. Distance makes the heart grow fonder, making you cherish the time you have together more than you would before. Don't keep secrets from him, and tell him everything that's going on in your life even if he dosn't ask. When you tell him it'll show that you are being loyal to him and want him to know what's going on in your life. Don't forget to tell him to enjoy himself while in school, no boy ever wants to hear how sad the love of his life is when he's gone

Comment

I can DEFINITELY relate to this story. My boyfriend graduated in June and he just left on the 27th for college. 4,916 miles away. He's currently going to college at UPenn, and I'm in my senior year in Hawaii. We spent the whole summer, or weekends and some weekdays, together. We were best friends, due to an unchanged seating chart, because we were partners for countless assignments and projects. It was nice to know that aren't only bf/gf, but best friends as well. Seeing as though he left last Monday, you would think I'd feel really lonely without him. But to be honest, I'm not lonely at all. I didn't even cry when I saw him off at the airport. I asked myself why I didn't cry or even feel sad. It hit me: we had talked so much, and we had prepared so well that I did not have a doubt in my mind that night. My advice would be to talk...we talked over the phone for hours at a time, and when we didn't have the opportunity, we emailed/social networked each other. Also, I noticed that when we talked we were TOTALLY and COMPLETELY honest with each other. We talked about the times when we couldn't hang out, and why we were upset at times. It all comes to down to trust. Sure the heart grows founder, but it wouldn't hurt to (like people have said before me) tell him how you feel. Also I agree with Rrebeccanelson...tell him you're enjoying school You don't want to stress him out b/c you're sad and that he's not there for you. Best of Luck! <3

Comment

Working...
          X