A light at the end of the tunnel??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A light at the end of the tunnel??

My boyfriend and I have not been in a long distance relationship very long, but I think we're doing alright.
    We've been communicating well and making attempts to see each other.
    However, we continue to struggle with this:
    I am a senior in high school. I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He goes to college in Tacoma, Washington.
    I have applied early decision to the college I've always dreamed of going to in Syracuse, New York. We both agreed that I should not let our relationship dictate where I go to college.
    This would put us on opposite ends of the country by the end of next summer.
    Sometimes, he says that he has trouble putting everything into our relationship when there doesn't seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel.
    I try to stay positive by saying that we should take things day by day, viewing our next opportunity to see one another as the light at the end of the tunnel.
    These conversations always seem to end in arguments, or just completely dropping the subject.
    We've both agreed, and have no doubts, that we aren't giving up easily. He says he wants to marry me, and I believe him.
    How can I hold things together for now?

I agree it can be difficult when the future plans aren't settled... My boyfriend and I have talked a lot about our future and know what we want, and now are putting things into motion to get what we want.. which includes going back to university and getting degrees to get better jobs so we can afford our future.. because money is basically what's stopping us being together really.. and since we're international, we don't get as many visits.. I think taking things day by day is a good way to do things, but make sure you and your boyfriend talk to each other about what you both want in the future.. right now you're in college, but if you can talk about what kind of house you want to live in, do you want to live in the country or city, and things like that, you can both imagine what you want, and take the small steps needed to get to where you want. And when either of you are down you can think of that and work towards it.. I think the best thing to do when you two feel like this might be to talk about what you two want in the future, even if you have a few more years of college and work ahead of you before you get to be together permanently. It's fun and helps give you something to hold onto.. at least I find it helps me.. I hope things go well for you two!

Comment

Thank you so much! That is great advice, and I am definitely going to put it to use. I think discussing small parts of our future will help ease the stress.
      Hope things continue to go well in your relationship

Comment

Working...
      X