Grad School! Engaged, International!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grad School! Engaged, International!

Here is my story, (its a positive story, but I need advice too)

I met my bf (at the time) when I was a senior in undergrad in Minnesota, and he was junior. We fell in love, dated for an amazing year. I am Canadian, and was graduating that spring with one of those degrees where in order to stay in the US I pretty much had to go grad school. I applied to several schools but was obsessed with one in Minnesota (the only one in the state with a masters program in my area). I did everything I could to get in and I was rejected, however got into a much better school in New York. My bf wanted to do the distance, and I was thrilled. We were so in love I had no idea how hard the 1100 miles would be. Especially considering the country thing is a big barrier (I can't work off campus, my family is in Canada etc). Anyways during my first semester I was shocked at how hard school was, I was literally working all the time and pretty lonely. I tired my best to make time to talk to him every day and we skyped at least a few times a week. I was constantly amazed at how patient he was with me. He visited me a few times, but not much (money issues). I went to Minnesota over thanksgiving break and we got engaged. I was shocked but thrilled. Second semester school was worse, and my stress level continued to be high, but he never changed. Deep down I did feel better about the relationship because I knew it would work out because he will be here this fall as he has graduated and is just finishing an internship. We will survive the distance and believe me I am counting the days! I think what is key, is to understand that you won't always agree, and that in LDR's you really need to put your relationship ahead of your pride and be sorry. Saying sorry does not mean you did anything wrong, it just means you feel bad you made your partner upset and that you value their feelings over whatever you argued about.

Before we were apart we never argued, and after we were apart it was only the odd time or two. But for a while I would take even the slightest thing too seriously. Anyways, how the biggest issue is immigration stuff. I am trying to apply for permanent residency and hes 1100 miles away from me. We have a lawyer but still its hard and they are hard to get a hold of when I have questions and I am so nervous about the whole thing. My finacee really does try to help me, and is trying, but hes not here. Also, I think the whole interview process sounds really scary has anyone ever experienced this?? If so any advice at all??

I don't have any advice to give about your residency issue, so sorry about that. But I wanted to say I totally agree with what you said about how saying sorry doesn't mean you did something wrong, just sorry that it made the other person upset. My SO had an issue with saying sorry for a long long time. Only recently has he started doing really well with it, and from someone on the other side of that, it feels so good to be apologized to without having to ask for one.
    Congrats on the engagement! Is there a story to that, or did ya'll just kinda decide together to get engaged? I love hearing about proposals :3
    And it's so nice that your SO is so patient with you. My SO is also very patient, and I'm convinced that if it wasn't for his patience we would not have made it all these years lol
    sigpic
    Began our story ~ July 1, 2007
    Our first LDR ~ August 2009
    Closed the distance ~ January 2011
    He joined the Air Force ~ January 1, 2013
    Our second LDR ~ January 2, 2013
    He proposed ~ July 4, 2013
    Our wedding day ~ December 30, 2014
    Closing the distance ~ Summer 2015

Proud of my Airman!!

Comment

Working...