Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

losing communication and gained distance..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

losing communication and gained distance..

My boyfriend recently moved in with his grandparents adding 45 miles to out distance. Which sucks on it's own but the worst bit being we can no longer skype.
    I rely on skype to see him.. It brings us closer and now he has no internet. We're not great at keeping the conversation going either.. Anyways you could help us?

does he have a smartphone by any chance and does he get signal where he currently resides?
    if yes, then there are apps that can rely on 3G where you can Facetime or even skype on the phone.
    And every breath we drew was Hallelujah

Comment

Does he have a data plan on his phone? If he does, like BlackRoseOpal suggests, you could download some IM apps onto your phones and use them to communicate! Most apps which use 3G/WiFi send pictures, songs and videos really quickly too, unlike text messages which can take a while to upload! If he doesn't, you could always just rely on text messages and phone calls? Maybe you can't see each other through them, but at least you can still talk, and any communication is better than none. And if the worst comes to the worst, ask him to go to an internet café or some place with WiFi and you could arrange a time to chat!

And for conversation ideas, why not try the 100 questions game that Michelle has suggested in her list of things for LDR couples to do? It's really interesting and keeps you talking for ages! ^_^

Good luck! *huggles* x

Comment

Thanks. He's getting a new phone so I'll ask him about getting skype on there.
        We text which is good but slow. We can't phone call because he has a fear of talking on the phone and I'm not confident with it either (yeah it's a silly thing but.. Hard to overcome)
        Since I found this site we have been doing so much better

Comment

Originally posted by Marleigh-Nicole View Post
          We text which is good but slow. We can't phone call because he has a fear of talking on the phone and I'm not confident with it either (yeah it's a silly thing but.. Hard to overcome)
          Huh...that's an interesting and crippling phobia, I'll admit. That does make things difficult I imagine.
          I'm glad you guys are doing well because of the site. There's a ton of great people with some even greater advice. Welcome to the family <3
          And every breath we drew was Hallelujah

Comment

That's good to hear, good luck! There are a ton of other IM apps you can use as well, like Whatsapp, Line ... and they let you send pictures etc. almost instantly. Oh that's not such a silly thing, I mean, I don't particularly like talking on the phone either because those silences when you can't think of anything to say really do become awkward! Hehe.

And I'm glad that this site is helping the both of you, some of the people on here really are amazing. They really understand what you're going through and give you real advice from the bottom of their hearts. ^_^

Good luck! x

Comment

Thankyou for the help. I think him knowing we aren't the only people in these situations kinda reasured him. We haven't faught as much and it's been great.
              He's getting over the fear as he talks to me on skype but every time I open my mouth to talk to him I choke. I can only do it when I have friends with me which he hates.

Comment

Thankyou for the help. I think him knowing we aren't the only people in these situations kinda reasured him. We haven't faught as much and it's been great.
                He's getting over the fear as he talks to me on skype but every time I open my mouth to talk to him I choke. I can only do it when I have friends with me which he hates.
                No problem! Yeah, it can be a little bit scary when all your friends have boyfriends/girlfriends that they can see 24/7 and you feel like the odd one out. But don't worry, practically everyone here knows exactly where you're coming from. That's great to hear ^_^

Aww ... don't worry about it, if you don't want to talk, you can just have a video call open and type to him! That way, you can still see each other and chat without feeling uncomfortable. x

Comment

I just wanted to say, I think the fear of talking on the phone and skype will get better. I remember when I first started talking to my boyfriend.. before we were in a relationship (our relationship has always been long distance - we met online), I was SO shy, I hardly spoke a word when we went on video call. And at one point we used just voice chat because it helped me get more comfortable with it. Though it helped us that my boyfriend has learned mechanisms to help a conversation, usually that means putting humour into the conversation. If you can joke about things, it takes a lot of stress out of a conversation.

Hopefully you can get good phones to be able to talk to each other more. And it's great you have found this site, because it is really awesome knowing there is this big community of many people who all are in a long distance relationship of some sort. I'm sure you'll be okay. Good luck

Comment

Working...
                  X