stress taking a toll on our communication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stress taking a toll on our communication

My boyfriend and i met in college and we have been together for a year now. I moved back to my hometown after my masters program came to an end. we keep in touch mostly through phone calls and he has no internet connection so we dont really get to skype often. He is looking for a job and the stress involved and the frustration seems to be taking a toll on our communication and it feels like we dont have much to talk about. i really wish i could help him out and make him feel better. any suggestions?

Originally posted by nika View Post
    My boyfriend and i met in college and we have been together for a year now. I moved back to my hometown after my masters program came to an end. we keep in touch mostly through phone calls and he has no internet connection so we dont really get to skype often. He is looking for a job and the stress involved and the frustration seems to be taking a toll on our communication and it feels like we dont have much to talk about. i really wish i could help him out and make him feel better. any suggestions?
    If I were you I woud suggest him to decide on 2-3 days/ week where you can talk, for like 10-40 min each phone call. That way you will both be excited about the incoming call and you will have more things to talk about. Don*t exaggerate with the talking (maybe he is not much of a phone talker) and remember that what*s important is the quality of the conversation, not the quantity!!! Hope this helps!!!! As for the stress of finding a job, everybody went through that at some point and I think that this stress will be melted away (even just for a moment! ) when he will be eagerly waiting the set up phone calls!!!

Comment

Thank you so much for your help. i really appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by nika View Post
        You could try setting a time for chatting, or even arrange a time where he could go to a coffee shop or internet café and the both of you could Skype. It means you wouldn't be only relying on phone calls. As for the stress, hopefully talking to you could take some of the pressure away. You could also possibly try to help him by getting involved with his job hunting, discussing it with him and trying to help him figure out what he wants and how he could do it. You could even try to look out companies which may be related to what he wants to do and send them to him. If you don't have much to talk about, then why not try doing something a little new and different in your life, so you'd have something to share? Sometimes if everything's just the same old every day, it gets boring and it doesn't feel like it's worthwhile talking about it anymore. You could also try some of those phone games or 100 questions to give you something to talk about. I hope this helps you! Good luck! *hugs*

Comment

Originally posted by Kitty Boo View Post
          You could try setting a time for chatting, or even arrange a time where he could go to a coffee shop or internet café and the both of you could Skype. It means you wouldn't be only relying on phone calls. As for the stress, hopefully talking to you could take some of the pressure away. You could also possibly try to help him by getting involved with his job hunting, discussing it with him and trying to help him figure out what he wants and how he could do it. You could even try to look out companies which may be related to what he wants to do and send them to him. If you don't have much to talk about, then why not try doing something a little new and different in your life, so you'd have something to share? Sometimes if everything's just the same old every day, it gets boring and it doesn't feel like it's worthwhile talking about it anymore. You could also try some of those phone games or 100 questions to give you something to talk about. I hope this helps you! Good luck! *hugs*
          I coouldnt agree more! Helping him if he will let you, will open up communication and will show him your there no matter what!

Comment

Working...
          X