kicked out, for the better.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kicked out, for the better.

I've been pretty busy this week, and haven't had a chance to get on. so, here's the update and some info for anyone thinking of going to AI in atlanta.

I was kicked out of college this week, given only a weekend to be out of housing. for some that may be a fine amount of time, but for me, that made things very difficult. I was kicked out NOT because i did anything wrong. I had all A's. Never crossed a teacher, didn't get into a fight. I was kicked out because The Art Institute of Atlanta screwed up, and screwed me over.

Prior to accepting me, I of course had to send them my high school transcripts. when i did, they told me there were some problems and this that, and that the transcripts had to be viewed and accepted by the big man. that happened, and i got accepted. I attended that school for a bit over a month, then suddenly they're telling me there are problems with my transcripts... again. I go to my admissions advisor to see whats up, and she tells me i have to go back and get my GED. my high school transcripts aren't accredited. I was first told that i could finish this quarter, then get my GED and come back. alright, i can do that. still wondering why the heck i was accepted in the first place. but i'll do it.

A few days later, i get a phone call from the school telling me i have to leave, i can't finish the quarter. I wasted a month of my life, and quite a bit of money, and now im being kicked out because they accepted me when they couldve told me before the transcripts were useless, and i wouldve gotten my GED a month ago.

It gets better. the friendly financial aid office. I had to get something done, i knew that and i wasnt going to ignore it. however, i wasn't aware there was a deadline, or any other problem. I wasn't told ANYTHING was wrong until i came in to see if i was eligible for work study. if i had never walked in that, they wouldve never told me my financial aid was about to be cut off because it was already passed the deadline. they were just going to send me the bill for the entire quarter. and it doesn't matter that im college student and dont have a dime, if i dont pay it in their short time-frame, i was going to be kicked out.

They always joke about college students losing sleep. I didnt lose any sleep over my classes, projects, or grades. I did however lose many nights worrying about money, what they were to tell me the next day, trying not to get kicked out, and simply getting through each day. The Art Institute goes on and on about teaching the students professionalism. but they don't have a single thing together. If they make mistake, they want YOU to fix it. They make it very clear all they care about is making money off of the students. I have another friend who is about to drop out because she's been there for a couple quarters now and hasn't learned anything.

That school is nothing but a name. If you want an actually education that is worth the cost, go somewhere else.

Ooh geez, that sucks, I'm sorry ): Hope you didn't waste too much of your money! What are your plans now?

Comment

I'm sorry that happened to you I'd say it's better that you weren't wasting your money there any longer. I've heard some sketchy things about for-profit schools. All post-secondary schools want into your pockets, but them especially. Hope something better comes your way and soon!

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

Chick,I feel your pain. I truly do. I was going to a community college back in 09 & 10 and I got kicked out both times because of personal things that were beyond my control. It's a long story. If you ever wanna know sometime I'll tell you the full story in PM or blog it for you. But believe me when I say that I believe there are some colleges that shouldn't be allowed to have accreditation much less be able to truly call themselves a learning institution. Colleges are not regulated enough in this country in my opinion. The colleges do what they have to to obtain their accreditation and then they start making their rules as they see fit and there's no one to stand over their shoulder to tell them how things should be done in the best interest of the students in all situations. But anyway,I would search for another institution to attend if possible in the future. That's what I'm doing as soon as I pay the government back. Not that I believe I should have to,but it's either suck it up and do that or don't go to school unfortunately. Anyway,I'm sorry this happened to you and I hope you find a better place to attend.

♥ In 666 Ways I Love You & My Heaven Is Wherever You Are. I'm For You. ♥

We Met: June 9,2010
        Back Together: August 1,2012
        First Visit: September 21,2012 - September 29,2012
        Second Visit: January 13,2013 - February 24,2013
        Engaged: January 17,2013
        Closed The Distance-MS - AZ: June 15th,2013
        Moved To FL Together: November 14,2013
        We Got Married! - July 3,2014
        SO Graduated College - August 7,2015
        Moved to Ky - August 10, 2015

Comment

Oh no . I'm sorry this happened to you. Hopefully things start to turn out for the better. I haven't heard good things about the AI in general.

Comment

Thanks guys. I've looked into a lot of other schools. it's hard to find one that will offer the classes i need, apparently. I'm looking into SCAD right now. I don't owe the government any money, AI was big enough to stand up and say they screwed up, and i don't owe anyone anything. they waved all debt, thank god. It's going to take a while to save up enough to get into SCAD though.

Comment

Thats horrible!!!! I'm kinds going through something with a previous college of mine (saying i owe them money when I don't) so I feel your pain. What were you going to the art institute for?
              Made it official: 12-01-10
              First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
              Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

This is ridiculous. Is there a higher board or education ministry you can report this to?
                “The ties that binds us are sometimes impossible to explain. They connect us even after it seems like the ties should be broken. Some bonds defy distance and time and logic; Because some ties are simply… meant to be.” - Grey’s Anatomy

>Little Box<

Comment

Originally posted by lilcupcake View Post
                  Thanks guys. I've looked into a lot of other schools. it's hard to find one that will offer the classes i need, apparently. I'm looking into SCAD right now. I don't owe the government any money, AI was big enough to stand up and say they screwed up, and i don't owe anyone anything. they waved all debt, thank god. It's going to take a while to save up enough to get into SCAD though.
                  At least they acknowledged that! Goodness!

Comment

I was going there to major in illustration. sadly very few schools in GA will teach me the things i need to know. And i dont think i can report it to anyone, if i could no one would listen anyway.

Comment

Wow, I can't believe that happened to you I used to know people who went to AI. Needless to say, none of them go there anymore.

Comment

its so surprising to me. around here, AI is such a big name. its said to be one of the best schools, but its crap.

Comment

Working...
                        X