How do i tell them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do i tell them?

I'm a 22 year old college student. I met my so through online means. We've been talking to each other close to a year.
    I plan on flying to visit him over the summer since we both won't have any school obligations. We both have planned it.
    My problem is, how do i tell my parents? Even at 22, they are still protective. I still live at home for financial reasons.
    Please don't give me advice on moving out because i already know what it is i should do on that part. I feel obligated
    to tell them about my relationship and that i plan to visit him only because i feel like they have the right to know. I also
    want them to know that i met someone, but he just happens to live out of state. I'm afraid they won't approve of me
    going to visit him and i understand why, of what their concerns would be. How do i tell them? Thinking about it makes
    me anxious and i just want everything to go well.

"Hey Mom and Dad, I have a boyfriend, he lives in OH" I don't get why it's so damn hard? By not telling them for so long makes it into a way bigger deal than it actually is!

Comment

Explain to them how you met, how you know he is real, include them on a Skype call or something. My parents were very protective and got open to the idea once they knew the guy I was dating during my previous LDR. Just be honest with them and ask them to be understanding of the way love can happen in the modern era.

Comment

So I have some thoughts on this, but first I am curious, how do you imagine they will react if you tell them? Will there be a big fight if you go? Will they actually forbid you to go? Knowing the answer to that changes the advice I would offer you.

Comment

You're right. I've made it more complicated by keeping it to myself. Thank you.

Comment

For the most part i think my parent's will be happy that i'm in a relationship. There wouldn't be a "a big fight", i just think they'll be a bit put off since it's an LDR . And i really don't know how'd they take it when i tell them i'm going to see him. What makes it hard for me is that i've never really been comfortable with telling them anything about my relationships because i never found that part of my life that important, but i feel this is worth telling. Plus, i know they'd like him.

Comment

Originally posted by Erin135 View Post
              For the most part i think my parent's will be happy that i'm in a relationship. There wouldn't be a "a big fight", i just think they'll be a bit put off since it's an LDR . And i really don't know how'd they take it when i tell them i'm going to see him. What makes it hard for me is that i've never really been comfortable with telling them anything about my relationships because i never found that part of my life that important, but i feel this is worth telling. Plus, i know they'd like him.
              Oh just the way you put it up there made me think you were worried about something awful happening if you told them. I know some people around your age around here live in fear that their parents will find out, you're lucky that's not you. In that case I agree with the above posters, include your parents on a Skype call and I am sure all will be well.

Comment

Working...
              X