Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to deal with less time due to school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to deal with less time due to school?

My SO is starting school this weekend and we will have a whole lot less time to spend together. This will be their first year in college and my third year for me. Since having a time difference of five hours as well what is a good way to handle the situation? They've already told me that the first few weeks we'll not get a lot of time due to parties and such and I have trouble going without talking for a while so any advice would be appreciated!
    sigpic
    A red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle but it will never break.

First met online: September 2011
    Got together: 5th March 2012
    First met in person: 2nd July 2014
    Next time we will be together: Christmas 2014

My daughter has been dating her SO for a little over 2 years. He has been in the military and is currently 6 hours ahead of us. She is now working and going to college full time. They make sure they spend a little time on Skype pretty much every day - even if it's only 5 minutes. They text periodically throughout the day and when they have time, play games on their 3D Nintendo DS' together. They have figured out that no matter what their location and situation, it's important to at least touch base every day. No matter what is going on around them, they make each other a priority and that's important.
    To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Me and my SO are in a similar situation. We have a 6 hour time difference and he works from noon my time till midnight my time. Which makes talking or skyping really hard. We both have bought skype minutes so every free 10 minutes we call each other. And w the skype minutes i can just be shopping/w friends without wifi and we can still talk.
      Best solution ever if you ask me. And we sometimes say: wake me up when you get home. My SO wakes me up at night and I wake him up in my morning.

Comment

My SO and I have a similar position, but 8 hours apart, and we are both in university, though he has less days a week than me, and I'm also working a couple days a week so we haven't had as much time to talk to each other. But we always make sure to talk at least once a day.... and if we don't, we'll leave a message for each other, but we can usually always Skype a bit each day as well, though lately it's not much because of school. The important thing is trusting each other and making each other a priority and communicating with each other. The first little while will be difficult as you adjust into new routines, but then you have to figure out what times and days work best for you.. whether you need to schedule them ahead of time or go day by day and see when you can skype or facebook chat. I think you can always fit in a bit of chatting sometime in the day... although it's made tougher with time differences if your breaks are always at the time that your SO is busy... then you either have to readjust your schedules or make do with scattered chats, responding back as soon as you can and writing another, and keep that connection going. Good luck!

Comment

Yeah, we are both in University and I also have a job which makes my weekends usually filled up. Luckily we have Skype and are able to fall asleep on there and Viber which we can use to text and make phone calls. I'm trying to find a way to just keep my time spent while not being able to chat with her. I feel loss at the moment and hoping that Christmas quickly comes around so that we'll be able to be together for a couple weeks.
          sigpic
          A red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle but it will never break.

First met online: September 2011
          Got together: 5th March 2012
          First met in person: 2nd July 2014
          Next time we will be together: Christmas 2014

Comment

Working...
          X