how to deal with parents???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to deal with parents???

Im in an LDR and its very hard for my parents to understand. Im from India and arranged marriages are the custom here, and my parents have been very supportive of the fact that I don't intent to choose my life partner by talking to him for 5 minutes in front the entire world. I told them I find no reason other than love good enough to be an incentive to get married. It's been very hard on them but they have accepted my terms but they believe that my relationship is just "nonsense" and "that i dont know the guy properly" how do i convince them that just because i don't work in the same city as him, and see him only once a month it doesnt mean that i dont know him. please help me !!!

Make your parents get a better picture of him. Share stories of what you have done together, share conversations you had and show them he is a real person by letting them talk to each other on the phone or through video chat.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
    First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
    Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
    Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
    Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
    Married: 1/24/2015
    Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Let the time take it's course.
      My parent's religion causes them to not accept my SO as my partner. I was told they will never treat us as couple.
      At the begining they were totaly against me meeting him, or im coming over. They didn't believe in LDR, they thought it was going to be just a fascination.
      With time they heard from me about how he treats me, I told him about him as much as I could, they met him even if the language barrier didn't really alow them to communicate. Right now they are believing that I am happy and they support me moving to him even if in their eyes we will never be "true marriage" (And as my mother said we will never be able to sleep in one bed under her roof) they learned to accept that I treat this relationship seriously.

So do what snow said, and patiently wait.
      “We're all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness — and call it love — true love.”
      ― Robert Fulghum, True Love

Met UK 3.08.2012-5.08.12 ->UK 1.12.12-3.12.12->PL 8.02.13-16.02.13->PL 1.06.13-9.06.13->UK 3.08.13-17.08.13->UK 26.10.2013-02.11.2013->PL 30.11.2013-08.12.2013->PL 22.03.2014-29.03.2014->UK 31.05.2014-07.06.2014->PL 06.09.2014-13.09.13->UK 20.12.2014-03.01.2015
      Closed the distance >21.03.2015
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for your responses i am trying...but they just wont accept LDR. I am going crazy they think my relationship is something silly and not worth their attention.
        I need them to accept this now because they have started looking for a groom and think that if they find a really great guy i will just give up my relationship!!!
        Last edited by Muth; March 4, 2015, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Reading from the information, if i'm correct your both from india.
          My relationship consists that we're both chinese with the same culture.
          Within 3 months, our parents met and it's been really great so far.
          I'm sure they can understand each other at a point if they were to meet.

Comment

Maybe you could explain to them that you couldn't know him any less that you would know a man that they arranged for you to marry?
            "Babe, I'm totally murdering everyone in this building right now! ... You would be so proud of me."
            This. This is only one of the reasons that I love this man. XD

"I'll surrender up my heart and swap it for yours."
            Por siempre, mi amor. ♥

Comment

I've been to India and I've many friends from India and Pakistan, so I can say that I can understand your situation. First of all your parents are right to doubt your relationship. You should try to arrange more meetings with your SO ASAP, so they can understand him better. Secondly, you should ask you SO to send his parents or family members asking for your hand in marriage. Even if you can't get married immediately, your should at least be engaged to each others. It will remove doubts from your parents' mind.

Comment

Indian parents are tough. They may not believe you until they see him for themselves. How are you doing now? Please update!
                From America to India. ♥

Comment

Originally posted by MyHindiHeart View Post
                  Indian parents are tough. They may not believe you until they see him for themselves. How are you doing now? Please update!
                  If they haven't responded for almost 7 months, they're unlikely to respond at all...

Comment

Working...
                  X