Busy busy busy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Busy busy busy

One major issue I've had throughout my life is that I like things that happen to be opposites. I'm a double major in music and science and my boyfriend is majoring in sports stuff. Because of this we never line up with times to talk, or even to text. This is our second year together. I know he loves me and I love him, it's just that it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Both of our parents joke about how we are the stereotypical "opposites attract" scenario. I'm up in the north actually enjoying snow and he's down south happy in the lack of snow lol. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if it's common for Couples to drift further and further apart in interests and distance but still stay strong in a relationship? We keep trying to find the time to physically see each other and be with each other, but our school breaks never line up and we both have our own summer plans. He has hope that we will see each other a lot, but I'm pretty sure I'll see him maybe once or twice for a day during the whole summer... Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this?

You are never going to have 100% in common with anyone be it a SO or even your very best friends. Of course you need some common interest and goals but it's very good to have diversity and things that pertain to just you.

My so is Mexican and was raised in Texas - he loves the heat. I was born and raised in the NorthEast and I will take cooler temps any day. We had to compromise on a honeymoon because he wanted to go to Cabo and I wanted an Alaskan cruise. We're going to Ireland instead. He jokes we will need two tv's in the bedroom because we don't like pretty much any of the same shows. We have completely different tastes in food. But when it comes down to core values and where our future is headed, we are in agreement.

As far as time, he owns his own business is works 14+ hour days, 7 days a week. I work full-time and I'm going back to college next month. We are lucky if we see each other a total of 3 weeks a year. My last visit, I spent more time on the road getting there and back than I had awake time with him the whole week. Some days there are no phone calls, texts are usually a couple of times a day and I couldn't tell you the last time we Skyped. But the end goal is being together and we figure if we can get through this, the rest will be pretty easy.

Keep yourself focused on your personal goals. Enjoy the time you do get together. Do things for your SO to remind him you are thinking of him even if you don't get much time to talk. I find a positive attitude goes a long way.
    To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Working...
    X