Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worried about saying goodbye :( Any advices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worried about saying goodbye :( Any advices?

My boyfriend and I have been in a LDR for approximately a year now, but we see each other every summer and winter, and this time, I have been given the opportunity to spend around 2 months with him, which is great! And very exciting! He is the love of my life, that is for sure, and we have decided that we will be together and close the distance when we are taking our advanced degrees in 4-5 years... which is a long wait, but i know that if he is the man that I can see the future with, then he is worth the wait.
    Sometimes, it's hard, though... in college, I feel like it's hard not being able to be with him, like my friends who get to see their boyfriends every day... and I get jealous. Is this normal? And do you think it will be worth the wait, being in a long distance relationship, if I love him this much?
    Additionally, I am also scared about saying goodbye to him after this vacation ends.. I'm always bad at goodbyes, especially at the airports, and I'm worried about being like this...because I know for sure I'll break down

Thank you so much

You can't ask strangers on the internet if it'll be worth the wait. The only one who knows that answer is you. If you love him as much as you say you do and you've already made it a year LD, then why are you doubting?
    "He is the love of my life, that is for sure" and "And do you think it will be worth the wait, being in a long distance relationship, if I love him this much?" are two drastically different views on how your relationship is going. I would say either stop doubting yourself or realize that maybe he isn't the love of your life. Either way, strangers can't tell you that.

Jealousy is normal to a certain degree. It's hard seeing CD couples and thinking that they have it so easy. The fact of the matter is that everyone has their own challenges in a relationship. You have to remember that and not let the jealousy get in the way of friendships or going out and having fun without your guy.

Lastly, as far as goodbyes, there is nothing wrong with having a tough goodbye. It means that there is something good that you are saying goodbye too. The more you dwell on how hard the goodbye is going to be, the worse it's going to be because you're telling yourself that it's going to be. Just take it one step at a time, enjoy the time you have together, and take some deep breaths at the airport. You'll be fine!

Comment

Strawberries and Cakes...your feelings are very intense at this point. You're probably new to college and to relationships, and-I'm guessing-might be a little overwhelmed by it all. Could you think about having a frank
      talk with your boyfriend about all this-get his perspective? It might really help you to process this with him.
      If you're the only person in your class in a LDR, seeing all those CD couples around you will be hard, and hav-
      ing to wait 4-5 years to close the distance more so. Take this one day(and date) at a time; relax and enjoy the
      time you do have together...live in the now!!! Good luck and I wish you both the best!!!!

Comment

goodbyes are so hard for me personally, what I noticed is that I can handle it better "externally". I'm still dying inside, but I'm doing better with putting my "brave face" on.
        First time I cried the night before, it was terrible, because that wasn't the way I wanted to spend our last night. Last time, I managed to cry only a little bit, so he didn't have to see me that way.

But every time is't just harder to leave, never knowing when (and if) you'll going to see each other...

Being for a while on this forum I'm coming to conclusion that I'm just very bad at the whole LDR thing since I'm terrible pessimist and always see the worst outcome

Comment

I don't think being pessimistic is neccesarily a bad thing... To a certain extent, it can be useful. I always go around thinking my boyfriend will break up with me and so I don't let small things slide. We always know where we are at.

As for saying goodbye, it sucks. I cried a few days before I left , like a cry in advance , my tears dried up and then the last three days were so much fun. When my taxi drove away from SO after a month living together, he couldn't make himself look at my face. I know he was already hurting so much. And I as usual was fine until we left Turkish airspace. I have been crying for days on and off, just really feeling miserable at times. But it actually feels nice to feel the pain. I feel more alive and less numb. I still go out and do everything but I carry him without me like a wound... And I don't feel bad about that. Why shouldn't I miss someone I love dearly?

Planning visits is essentional. I will almost sooner buy a plane ticket than I will buy food... And certainly before buying clothes etc. Also, getting stuff for him/us: a card or other things to send in the mail, clip outs and pictures for our book, a brush for the cat etc. I will also collect poetry and send him.
          Last edited by differentcountries; August 8, 2015, 03:22 PM.
          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Working...
          X