Having a hard time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having a hard time

first let me say, I am a new userr and this is my first post.

My girlfriend and I have been together for almost three years. Until about a month ago, we have been together. She got accepted to grad school 380 miles away. While I am immensely proud of her achievement, I am struggling with anxiety. I have been handling it pretty well until today. I returned from a three day weekend last night. This might be the root of my anxiety, but I digress.

About a year and a half ago, we hit our biggest hurdle. I found out she had been seeing someone else. After the initial shock, frustration, and anger, we began seeing a couples therapist. I can proudly say that we, at least before she left, are stronger and closer than ever. That being said, I have been having those nagging thoughts in the back of my mind all day today. I did talk to her today about my concerns. She assures me that she's "100% in and will do everything I can to keep our relationship healthy."

I know that since her classes have started there will be less time to interact with her. Am I just being too paranoid?

Thanks for any advice.

Originally posted by DrSkwurl View Post
    first let me say, I am a new userr and this is my first post.

My girlfriend and I have been together for almost three years. Until about a month ago, we have been together. She got accepted to grad school 380 miles away. While I am immensely proud of her achievement, I am struggling with anxiety. I have been handling it pretty well until today. I returned from a three day weekend last night. This might be the root of my anxiety, but I digress.

About a year and a half ago, we hit our biggest hurdle. I found out she had been seeing someone else. After the initial shock, frustration, and anger, we began seeing a couples therapist. I can proudly say that we, at least before she left, are stronger and closer than ever. That being said, I have been having those nagging thoughts in the back of my mind all day today. I did talk to her today about my concerns. She assures me that she's "100% in and will do everything I can to keep our relationship healthy."

I know that since her classes have started there will be less time to interact with her. Am I just being too paranoid?

Thanks for any advice.
    Hi.
    It is always difficult to make the transition from no distance/long distance, there is no covering that up. In the next couple of months you will find out if your girlfriend is willing to battle through the distance, just stay strong and let things play out. As I always say 'whatever will be, will be'.
    In regards to the point you make about being paranoid, it's hard to trust your partner if they cheat on you and the relationship continues, there will always be doubts in the back of your mind of 'what if' but she seems to be reassuring you that she wants this relationship so just be happy in the moment. If she does end up cheating again, make sure you're prepared and it doesn't affect you too much. Trust me, you will be able to live without her if the worst happens.
    Finally, about the communication, things change in relationships and people become busy with school, work etc. But you should just cherish the times you do talk and not think about what she is doing when you are not talking. Keep yourself busy with whatever you're doing right now, find a new hobby, meet new people etc. Then you will feel it less. My SO just started college and her classes fill up a few hours every day but I don't get too worried about it and college is going to get her an amazing job and set up our future together.
    Good luck man, I wish you the best in your relationship.
    Cc.
    Love is patient, Love is kind, Love never fails.

Comment

Working...
    X