300 miles is further than you think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My girlfriend and I are both from Kentucky and met before college and she continued to go play volleyball in Detroit on a full scholarship. Throughout her first year we talked non stop and couldn't wait to spend the summer together. We planned most of it out in advance and mixed in spontaneous dates throughout the summer. It was hands down the best summer we've both ever had. I truly got to know my best friend and we began dating in May. Finally, the dreaded day came when I had to send her back up to school in Detroit for the semester. It has been very very very hard for the both of us but we talk every day and talk on the phone every night before bed. Once a week or more we will have Skype dates also. I went to go visit her and watch her games one weekend in September, and I could hardly wait any longer so I surprised her a day early. Even though I was there for five days it seemed like five hours. It's been getting worse over time but I miss my girlfriend more than I've ever missed anyone/anything in my life. She is my best friend and it's hard when you're living life and missing the moment without your best friend by your side. I plan on surprising her again before Thanksgiving break for her final two home games but any advice for a strong couple in love would be greatly appreciated. And always remember, Everything is Worth it.

You're going to miss her, that's a given. You mentioned how you have phone calls every night before bed, and weekly Skype dates. Keep that up, and it'll be fine. Communication is key in all relationships, whether it's through texting, Facebook, or Skype. Work hard in your relationship, and it'll flourish! One thing that I'd suggest is give each other your scents. What I mean by that is if she has a specific body spray or perfume that she wears that she could give you a bottle or can of that, and you can do the same. Spray it on your pillow or even wear it to help shorten the distance. That's what my SO and I did.
    "Love, it's not an emotion. Love is a promise!"- The 12th Doctor in Death in Heaven

You need to stop focusing on the "what if" and keep focusing on the "what is."

First Time Meeting: August 10th 2014-August 21st 2014
    Second Time Meeting: March 13th 2015-March 20th 2015
    Third Meeting: December 27th 2015-January 21st 2016 (We got engaged!)
    Fourth Meeting: July 12th-August 25th 2016
    Fifth Meeting: February 10th-February 28th 2017 (My S/O came to America!)
    Next Meeting: June 20th-September 17th 2017 (Our longest visit yet!)

Comment

Believe me when I say I understand it's hard. I'm usually much stronger than I am tonight, but it's a bad night and I haven't slept (I'm 5 hours ahead so it's already 5 am here). My boyfriend lives nearly 4000 miles away in the US. I haven't seen him since September 1st and at times it's harder than others. I keep busy most of the time and I've gotten good at handling it. Unfortunately tonight is one of those nights where it's a bit more difficult to handle. Communication is key. You can plan visits as much as you can and that'll help. Good luck.
      Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
      All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

300 miles like you, or almost 6000 miles like me, no distance is easy to overcome. I'm in university and he's a full time CO in a prison, working night shifts, and there's a 7-8 hour difference between us, dependent on the time of year/daylight savers since AZ doesn't switch time. You just have to keep fighting for it, because at the end of it, it'll be worth it.

Comment

100 miles, 300 miles, 2000 miles, 4000 miles! If you can't be there in a blink of an eye, it is just too far away! Good luck.

Comment

I just gave this advice to another college kid: This will be blunt and harsh. I am sorry in advance. I continuously see girls (specifically, but also some guys) who have their whole lives revolving around their SO. Yes, we've all been there. But I can't help but feel like it's not a healthy relationship when you literally can't function when they aren't around all the time. The only way for a LDR to work is to be happy with yourself. You need to live as if you are single (within appropriate bounds of your relationship). Go out and have fun with friends and have a life that isn't just waiting for your SO. You have your SO to lean on in hard times, but in all actuality you have YOU to rely on. You need to be healthy and happy in order to be happy in your relationship. You have a beautiful chance right now that not many people get. You have a chance to become self-reliant and happy on your own while still having the love and support of your SO. Many people don't learn to do that until they are single again. Some never learn. So my advice to you is to stop moping around and only thinking about how much you miss your SO. Go and do things that you love and have fun and be young!

I know, it doesn't completely apply to you, but it also does. It doesn't sound to me like you're living your life to the fullest because your SO isn't by your side. Try your hardest to be happy when she's not there and even happier when she is. You have to have that happy foundation otherwise you'll be in trouble and feeling like this the while time until you can close the distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Tdurb57 View Post
              I'm a runner and I cycle. So 300 miles is pretty damned far. Maybe 300 miles is further than YOU think, but not further than I think.

Try focusing on your interests, hobbies, physical fitness, school/work. If you listen to the brain chatter 24/7, you'll go bonkers.

Welcome!

Comment

Working...
              X