New beginning or the end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New beginning or the end?

For some quick background, my SO and I have been together for 2 years, just recently celebrating the mark of the 2nd on May 18, 2016. I've been in college for just over a year and she leaves for college this September. Yes, we'll be attending different universities. Also, she works during the summer at a childhood camp of hers and isn't home much, though that's never really been a problem.

Well, just the other day, June 2, 2016, I woke up to texts telling me that we'd be better off friends and that she doesn't want to lose me. She pushed for an end to the relationship because she thought that if we weren't a couple then we wouldn't struggle as much when she leaves for university and would therefore stay together longer. I talked to her the next day in person (after chatting/crying with her for the previous 24 hours) and she seemed very set and very confident of this idea of hers. I've decided to try and be confident too, as I don't want to lose her. I really like the idea of being able to stay in each other's lives, but my heart still wants so much more.

The problem is that we don't have any struggles right now. We've been in a long-distance relationship for several months now and while we've missed each other a lot we haven't really fought about anything or ignored our SO whatsoever. It's been mostly okay, and this is kind of out of the blue. She's always loved me like crazy and has become my everything, and I don't want to lose that. What are your thoughts? A lothing of people tell me I need to move on from her and cut her out of my life, but I've been close to her and her family for many many years and can't possibly do that to her or them. I'm looking for advice, things to tell her, or whatever you have to offer me.

Please and thank you.

Welcome to LFAD.

I'm sorry this came as a complete surprise to you. I'm sure you were shocked and very upset. However, if she is deadset on this, I think you are right to not push to continue the relationship as a romantic couple.

It appears she wants to go explore college life single and free while keeping you as a backup. She does this by wanting to stay friends and giving you the hope that after college the two of you will be together. Don't wait around. You shoudn't be put on the back burner and be there in case, in 4 years, she decides she wants to give it another go. Live your life. Date if you want. You are single and there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't go out and keep yourself open to the possibility of finding another relationship where the person wants to be with you now and not have you in the background as a fail safe.
    To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Working...
    X