Business and Medical...2 Different Worlds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business and Medical...2 Different Worlds

So for a little background...my boyfriend is a PreMed student in Washington, DC and I am a Finance student in Ohio. We have been dating for almost 2.5 years with this distance ever since we started dating. We are both seniors, so the real world is fast approaching. He is applying to medical schools, and I have recently accepted a job in Cincinnati. We are both originally from Cincinnati and one of the schools he applied to is University of Cincinnati. We have done LDR since the beginning and have been doing great. The idea of being further away or the situation changing in terms of location has always been too far away to think seriously about. We have gotten use to the fact that I'm in Ohio and he is in DC. The hope has always been that after undergrad we would be in the same city, or at least much closer together.

Now that we are to the point of potentially being closer it has gotten so much harder. I am not that busy with school work since I now have the fulltime job for after graduation. He is super busy though finishing up his lab research, applying to med school, doing interviews. He is so busy that we rarely text or call like we used to. We used to Facetime at least once a week, and it has been a few weeks since we did that. The texting has gone down and I don't know what to do. I try to stay busy with friends and other activities, but the times that I'm alone are worse since he is not there to reply.

We have talked about him communicating more, and each time he brings it back to the stress he is under. In a conversation that I want to be the one comforted, it ends up me comforting him. I understand the stress and big decisions that are ahead of him, but I just don't think he understands how lonely I truly feel. We have talked about what is ahead; the potential that he is closer but the higher likelihood that he is far away; the long journey of years of medical school and residency and fellowship and the rest; the idea that we are just on 2 different paths and it may not work.

I want it to work and I know he does too, but with the looming doom that I feel is coming, it makes it harder to continue. I don't want to give up on the 2.5 years of work that we have put into this relationship. And there is still the chance that the distance is closed by next year, but it's just hard. It feels like our worlds in terms of professions are just too different. He has so much longer to go, and I am starting me job journey soon.

Are our worlds too different? What should I do in these lonely moments? Help a girl out...

I'm at university and will be for the next 2 years while my SO is working full time and has been doing it for many years. Our life are quite different. While i feel the stress of exams, he can't really understand what i'm going through. While he is ready to have a house, I feel like i won't be able to afford one for the next 5 years or so. So i can understand a bit this feeling of living lifes that are two differents. Although it is manageable.

Why not just call him for 5 minutes ?
    Whenever you know he is not in class, call him and say, "hey, i just wanted to hear your voice for a little bit. How are you?" Call him everyday if possible. 5-10 minutes. I'm sure he can try finding time for you and it will make it easier. Texting is a great thing as it helps to stay connected. But there is nothing better than hearing the other person.
    - I'll be waiting for you -

Started talking: December 2015
    First meeting: December 2016
    Second meeting: May 2017 - August 2017
    Third meeting: Septembre 2017 - January 2018
    Engaged: December 2017
    Fourth meeting: May 2018 - August 2018
    Fifth visit: December 2019
    Wedding: September 2019

Comment

Don't give up, if you believe this is your person. He won't know how you are feeling unless you tell him. You mentioned he is under a lot of stress right now. Males usually have a one track mind, he is most likely just seeing his stress factors right now because they are in front of him. If you don't make yours known, he won't know either. I know how frustrating this is for you but with a crap ton of patience and communication you guys can make it through!!!! Hang in there!
      California- Alabama
      Relationship began: April 4, 2017
      First visit: Alabama: April 4-8, 2017
      Second visit: Alabama: August 22-30, 2017
      Third visit: Alabama: December 9-19, 2017
      Fourth visit: California: May 25- June 4, 2018
      Fifth visit: Alabama: September 15- 26, 2018
      Sixth visit: Alabama: December 18, 2018-January 3, 2019
      Seventh visit: Alabama: April 2-10, 2019

Comment

Originally posted by Littlewhiteflower View Post
        I'm at university and will be for the next 2 years while my SO is working full time and has been doing it for many years. Our life are quite different. While i feel the stress of exams, he can't really understand what i'm going through. While he is ready to have a house, I feel like i won't be able to afford one for the next 5 years or so. So i can understand a bit this feeling of living lifes that are two differents. Although it is manageable.

Why not just call him for 5 minutes ?
        Whenever you know he is not in class, call him and say, "hey, i just wanted to hear your voice for a little bit. How are you?" Call him everyday if possible. 5-10 minutes. I'm sure he can try finding time for you and it will make it easier. Texting is a great thing as it helps to stay connected. But there is nothing better than hearing the other person.
        Hey may I ask where your SO is from?

Comment

i will choose business

Comment

Working...
          X