all the advice I can get; how to make it work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

all the advice I can get; how to make it work

So my boyfriend has just moved away, and oh man already it's so hard.

I know we both want this to work so bad, but neither of us really knows where to start. We're looking at possibly 5 years ldr!
    So I'm bEGGING for all the advice I can get from people who have made it work, who are making it work. I miss him! So much!
    Please tell me about the things that made a positive impact on your ldr x

Hi, I don't know if I'm the best person to answer you but I'll give it a try.
    So when I did ldr what made it work was communication.
    We used skype a lot and texted, but not to excessively. In the beginning we had skype on during the night
    so we could fall asleep and wake up to each other. As time moved by this became inconvenient and we moved on to
    only skype at night when we needed it, we still talked every evening to say good night, and if the other had plans
    we would say night early and then text home safe when we got home. Same went for holidays.
    Once a month we chose a day to do something special together over skype, like watching a movie or making dinner and eating together.
    This made us feel close even tho we weren't together.
    I don't know what you guys are like as a couple and it's important not to make talking a chore. You have to accept that you're living
    separate lives at the moment and give each other space to do so.
    On the other hand of this, when you're spending time together over skype or talking on the phone, make sure you set of time to do only this.
    That way you make the other person know that you give them all you attention, even tho you're doing other tings now, when you are together
    you are each others most important people worth ALL your attention.
    So to the best part: visiting and actually spending time together, make sure that you spend your time together to create memories.
    Being apart is hard but will also give you relationship time and room to grow stronger. The spesial bond made by missing each other
    is important ti fully appreciate the good things about being together. Make sure to set time to plan you next visit while you're together.
    Doing this together and marking the date for when you'll see each other next can be the light in the end of the tunnel when missing one another.
    Don't be afraid to be romantic, even tho you send good morning everyday and you skype regularly, receiving letter now and then can be so awesome.
    The extra effort goes a long way.
    Last thing, trust is key. Being apart can be hard, if you're not able to talk as much as you would like don't question you SO's motivation to be with you.
    Jealousy can be toxic in a relationship especially ldr, but belive me doning ldr successfully will make you stronger as a couple.
    You'll be great together and also know that your independent and you don't have to do everything together. Being your own person is important for long time
    happiness. Because it's o so easy to drown in a relationship and let yourself go in love.
    The best of luck to you <3 remember believe in one another

Comment

My advice is to save your money/vacation days for visits, and to always have a next visit planned. And talking everyday helps! Good luck! You can do it

Comment

hi sweetie, I know I'm a tad younger and my situation was not expected to be long distance for as long as yours is, but my SO and I started dating only 3 months prior to us moving 1,300 miles away from one another. Being my closer now, in distance and relationship, I find it harder to find things to talk about but I always start with something that happened that day, find one thing about your day that stuck out to you no matter how minimal. then if I found nothing else to talk about, wed cook over ft together, watch movies, ask each other questions (google conversation starters for boyfriend they always start a big discussion with my SO and I) but most importantly, don't stress. putting pressure on the relationship only adds an extra strain that no one needs in their life. of course being apart is a strain in itself but as long as you communicate and keep the flame alive (phone sex ) I know you'll be just fine, best of luck!

Comment

Working...
        X