Long Distance but want to be friends.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Distance but want to be friends.

So my boyfriend of two years and I both mutually agreed to break up because we didn’t want the added stress of long distance. But we want to still be friends and talk daily and we still love eachother and promise to tell eachother when we plan to move on or when we’re losing feelings. Is it a bad idea? I need advice cause we still want to be in each other’s lives.

At this point in your lives that's not a bad idea. As for the "talk Daily " part, I'm gonna give you the baseball maxim of "You can't get to second base with your foot on first". Meaning that you both need to have your own lives for a while to appreciate each other.

That might mean limited contact just so you can focus on the here and now. I'd recommend a talk about what is grounds for reconnecting as a couple. ie: he moves back close to you or vice versa. Not sure if you still live with your parents, but if you don't, you don't talk to them daily would you? You gotta look at it the same way. It hurts in the short term, but it provides you with the opportunity to know what you want in a relationship.

By all means, meet up at school breaks, but have your own life. It would be different if you were older, and had an end date when you KNEW you were going to close the distance. But that time from 18-25 is a huge part of growing as a person and EACH year or two you become a different person.

For the record, I got married in college at 21, and was married for 20 years before I divorced because we grew apart. Not sure I would have married the same person at 25. Had we not married, she might not have BEEN the same person at 25...

Comment

It`s not bad to stay friends after breaking up and talk to each other. However, it`s hard because you had feelings, so there is no line between friendship and these feelings.

Comment

After a break-up befriending is good, but you should spend more time with your new lover than chatting with your friend.

Comment

You say you want us to be friends
          You know I want that too
          But why can't friends
          Be lovers too
          [Jon White - 1993]

Comment

Working...
          X