No announcement yet.

Working in your SO's country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone's advice has been really helpful (I'm thinking of what I will do when I move to the UK.. my degree was in an Asian language).

You mention being in the middle of your degree.. is it too late to possibly add a minor or some extra courses in another subject to make you look a bit more marketable? For example, perhaps going into something like Communication Studies or International Relations or International Business/Marketing? Even taking some courses like that raises your chances.. and in the case you can't take a course in Norwegian, I don't think it would hurt to go for a course in another major European language such as French or Spanish. Having some sort of cross-cultural exposure will be important.

Otherwise, besides the education field, I would look into the non-profit field as well (unfortunately, I don't know of any in Norway..) that might have ties to an organization in the United States or promotes a cause that you believe in (and just so happens to require English speakers!) Try to see if your community also has a Norwegian association that might be able to provide you leads, connections, or resources to language courses/tutors or ideas on jobs. Minnesota has some of the largest populations of people of Norwegian descent, so there are plenty - but you never know with where you are!

It looks like there's a Consulate General of Norway in California, too.. why not give them a ring? https://www.norway.org/Embassy/sanfrancisco/

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by pink elephant View Post
      Everyone's advice has been really helpful (I'm thinking of what I will do when I move to the UK.. my degree was in an Asian language).

You mention being in the middle of your degree.. is it too late to possibly add a minor or some extra courses in another subject to make you look a bit more marketable? For example, perhaps going into something like Communication Studies or International Relations or International Business/Marketing? Even taking some courses like that raises your chances.. and in the case you can't take a course in Norwegian, I don't think it would hurt to go for a course in another major European language such as French or Spanish. Having some sort of cross-cultural exposure will be important.

Otherwise, besides the education field, I would look into the non-profit field as well (unfortunately, I don't know of any in Norway..) that might have ties to an organization in the United States or promotes a cause that you believe in (and just so happens to require English speakers!) Try to see if your community also has a Norwegian association that might be able to provide you leads, connections, or resources to language courses/tutors or ideas on jobs. Minnesota has some of the largest populations of people of Norwegian descent, so there are plenty - but you never know with where you are!

It looks like there's a Consulate General of Norway in California, too.. why not give them a ring? https://www.norway.org/Embassy/sanfrancisco/

Good luck!
      Hey Pink Elephant good job on the save with the good advice yeah definitely try to connect with some Norwegian organizations and put yourself out there

Comment

Wow thank you all for the advice! I hadn't checked this thread in a while

Since my first post I've decided that it would be best to continue my education in Norway as I don't really want to teach English anyway, it was just the first thing I thought of that might be feasible for me over there! So after I move and after we're married I can apply to master's programs (still not sure which one, we'll probably be living in Oslo and UiO has an awesome looking gender studies program!) and hopefully find a part time job. Reglisse, if your dad needs a receptionist/admin feel free to let me know haha. I have a lot of experience there!

Getting in touch with the embassy is definitely a good idea, I will definitely do that closer to finishing my degree and making concrete plans to move. Sometimes I feel like talking about this too much makes it sound silly since it's still two years away, if that makes sense. Like no one will take it seriously.

Oh and my degree, I've already got a Politics minor done, maybe I can spin that into something international sounding since it's really Political Science under a different name . I think I'm going to talk to my program advisor when school starts next week just to see if she has any advice.

Comment

Working...
        X