Some little visa thoughts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some little visa thoughts.

So its coming up to a time where i can start thinking about booking a flight to visit my GF in the states again.
    And in all honesty, i'm scared to death about it.

I'll be going under the VWP and just generally trying to wiggle my way in, as that'show it seems to be.
    I'm scared incase i get denied, and can't ever visit under the VWP again.

So i was just thinking, is the VWP the best way to visit? Is there any other visas that would actually garuntee me access instead of risking my time and money?

VWP should be easy enough. I'm assuming it's your first visit to the USA? You'll be fine. Just in case- bring proof you'll be returning to the UK with you. Things like university enrollment papers, apartment leases, a letter from your job saying they expect you back, bank account info, etc. I think most Western European nations don't have much trouble going into the USA.

Comment

Yeah, you shouldn't have much trouble as long as you bring the documents above lucybelle mentioned - but if you're that worried, it also wouldn't hurt to have a letter of invitation from your significant other either stating where you'll be staying and also definitely a copy of your return ticket and/or flight itinerary. What is most important is that you have proof that you don't plan to overstay past 90 days and remain in the United States and you should be fine.

My husband (also a UKC) has visited me twice on the VWP and has had no problems. He brought documents as lucybelle and I have mentioned (although they took away a can of haggis at customs he brought as a gift.. ahaha) but otherwise, the visa you go on determines your reason for going to a country - if you're just visiting for up to 90 days, then going via the VWP should be fine. If you're going as a student or intending to get married, however, you'll want to apply for a different visa.
      Last edited by pink elephant; August 13, 2012, 12:16 AM.

Comment

I also visited on te VWP with no issues. Usually, as long as you have a return ticket they don't quickly suspect you of anything. I had a letter from work just in case, but never had to use it. They will ask where you will be staying and if you'll be travelling out of the state. Just answer them truthfully. As log as you have no intention of staying >90 days you will stay out of trouble easily.

Comment

As everyone has already said using vwp is pretty easy but just to add no visa gives you guaranteed entry to the united states. It's up to the officer to let you in.

How many times have you been to the states? How long were those visits? When was your last visit? Those are the questions i tend to get asked. I come here (in the states currently) quite alot tbh. In the last 2 years this is my 9th entry via LAX and that officer was asking me loads of questions! I took the documents the above posters have already mentioned - employment letter, any utilities, my car reg form, tax forms lol i took everything that had my name to it! Oh i took a bank statement too to show i had the money to pay for my trip.

Comment

what is a VWP?

is that the same thing as ESTA?

just curious because I am planning a visit to my US SO in January
            The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed.

Carl Jung (1875 - 1961)

Comment

Visa Waiver Program, it allows certain nations to travel between each other visa-free. Here's the Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_Waiver_Program
              Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

thanks Moon...

but this confuses me..... what's the difference between ESTA and VWP?

I looked for plane tickets and every site tells me I need ESTA as a Dutch citizen...
                sorry for hijacking your thread Jango....
                The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed.

Carl Jung (1875 - 1961)

Comment

The Netherlands also participates in the Visa Waiver Program: https://www.travel.state.gov/visa/te...html#countries

ESTA is just the authorization you receive from the US government website (basically them saying you're OK to travel to the US) where you enter your travel information when applying for "permission" to enter/travel/get to the USA through the VWP.

Comment

thanks!

finally got time to read through the whole document..... and now I understand...

boy... .I have a lot to do before I can sit down and relax in Philadelphia... hahahaha

o Moon? bit off topic..... I told Rob about primo hoagies.... and he agreed.... they are better than wawa hoagies....
                    hahahaha....

thanks again and sorry again for hijacking your thread Jango..... out of your hair now....

Carl Jung (1875 - 1961)

Comment

Just a quick bump.
                      I'll travel under the Visa waiver program when it comes to book my flight.

Ive applied to the ESTA and have been accepted, and this lasts for 2 years.
                      Is there anything else i need to do to travel under the VWP??

Any help would be great, thanks

Comment

Unfortunately, there are no guaranteed visas. Every type has a certain risk factor. The VWP tends to have very low risk for those who use it wisely, though, and I would definitely use that first before all other methods. My SO lives in Peru, which does not have the VWP, so we've had a really rough time dealing with visas. I literally walked into his country and got a stamp (which I recognize is my privilege as a US citizen), but he's been denied twice for a US B-2 (tourist) visa. I really wish they had the VWP for Peru. Could have saved us a lot of stress and money.
                        Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
                        Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
                        Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Originally posted by Jango View Post
                          Just a quick bump.
                          I'll travel under the Visa waiver program when it comes to book my flight.

Ive applied to the ESTA and have been accepted, and this lasts for 2 years.
                          Is there anything else i need to do to travel under the VWP??

Any help would be great, thanks
                          Nope thats it : )

Comment

If you've been approved without any problems, then you should be fine to book your ticket.

As long as you don't overstay past 90 days or break any US laws (whether intentionally or unintentionally) while you're there, you should be good to go. Someone has already said it, but ultimately the decision of letting you enter the United States is up to the immigration officer.

Comment

Originally posted by Carenza LaRue View Post
                              thanks Moon...

but this confuses me..... what's the difference between ESTA and VWP?

I looked for plane tickets and every site tells me I need ESTA as a Dutch citizen...
                              sorry for hijacking your thread Jango....
                              The ESTA is part of the VWP. The ESTA is equivalent to a visa. Those in the VWP can get an ESTA. Make any sense?

And what determines who is in the VWP? Bilateral Agreements.

Comment

Working...
                              X