Jobs, visits and just life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jobs, visits and just life

I recently finished 2 postgraduate courses I was doing abroad and came back home after almost 5 years of being away. I do want to get a job because while it is wonderful to see my mom, friends and relatives again; it doesn't feel good to be back living at Mama's hotel after being completely independent -in every way- for so long. I hate the "taking some steps back" feeling I get.

Now, here's the thing: I am now in Colombia, where finding a job is not that easy and it can take -as in many other places around the world- months to finally land a decent job.
    On top of that, my SO is coming to visit for almost a month in December, that means if I find and take a job, I won't have the freedom to spend time with him and show him around, do all the things we plan on doing, etc. I personally think it wouldn't be fair if I have to leave him alone most of the time. It's a long and expensive trip, plus we want our time together. But that means over 3 months of doing literally nothing and that is just plain awful!
    I wish there were more options and things to do here in my city, for example german courses (I would love that!), or any other type of class of my interest I could invest this time in... besides going to the gym in the evenings. Sadly there aren't!

So I first thought, perhaps it was OK to take some time off and enjoy the time I get to spend with the people I love, as maybe next year I will be moving to Germany and probably won't get to see them again as often as I would like to; but then I get these confusing thoughts and the guilty feeling of doing nothing when I could be earning and saving some money and preparing myself -language wise- for next year in july. Then I just want to run away because I feel lost and don't know what the right thing to do is, it's so overwhelming!

- Take these 3+ months off?
    - Get a job for about 6 months starting next year in January, then quitting around July/Aug when I plan on moving to Germany?
    - Try to find a job now -I graduated in Dec '07, then have been traveling/studying abroad since then, and I have zero work experience-?
    - Got any ideas? advices? have you ever been in a situation like this? how did you handle it? Please share. All opinions, experiences and ideas are welcome.

I'm worried about this stuff, too. =/ So here's a free bump.
    Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
    Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
    Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Is there any way you could so short term/ freelance work? Maybe someone you know is looking to hire? I recently heard that only 1% of jobs are online so networking is key! If you want to stay busy, perhaps volunteer somewhere?

Comment

I personally feel that's too long to be out of work and I can't see a reason why you can't pick up just a crappy little job, something part time or even casual (I'm working as a casual right now, and I think it's great) to fill some of the hours in your week. 10 or even 20 hours a week is really nothing, your SO would be able to occupy that kind of time while he was there - and it's good to have time apart anyway.
        Also, I find personally that I get more done when I'm working - I'm more likely to study or have the drive to finish personal projects than when I'm unemployed. When you're not working time just tends to slip by unnoticed, and it seems to get wasted.
        Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Thank you guys for the responses.
          I am in fact looking for casual/part times jobs, no luck though. Here a crappy job means literally so, crappy as crappy can get and be!

As I mentioned, I was overseas for almost 5 years. So right now I am trying to reconnect with ex classmates, teachers, etc; to see what the options are and where should I be focusing my "job hunt". It's like I had a life somewhere else and now I am starting from zero. I am not afraid though, have never been... I know it's a matter of time until I get used to it again.

Another thing that bothers me is, how closed minded people are here. This is a small town where most people live of appearances, brands, how much money you make, the people you hang out it, how you dress, etc. This is definitely not my kind of environment as I consider myself very open minded and super laid back.

I am open to take whatever job opportunity I get at the moment, mostly because I am the kind of person that needs to feel productive, I hate to see time passing me by. However, when I mention at the moment I am up to take whatever I find for a short term (look for a better paid one for next year in January) people roll their eyes and say: "But why? You have invested so much money in education overseas, you are so qualified, you can not just take any job". I know it's my decision and I try to not let their comments affect me, but sometimes they do. I just picture people talking BS about me working at a crappy place and can't help it but feel like throwing up.

Comment

If you plan on quitting in 3 months, just get a part time McDonald's job or something. It's a good way (not a great way) to save up for the move you plan on making.

Also- maybe you could look into German classes online. I know it's not the same thing, but you could at least practice the grammar part.

Comment

In regards to what lucybelle said, I definitely agree with the suggestion that you should get a random unskilled part time job. Sadly, you have no experience for a job related to your qualifications. Experience is a big component of getting a graduate job, especially in your situation where you have foreign qualifications.

And I think online classes are a brilliant idea. At the very least, you will have a bit of a headstart for when you move back to Germany. And you'll be surprised at what you can learn on your own.

Comment

I feel your pain- I've just come back from being in the US with my SO. I had a good "internship" (I was basically a full time member of staff but was paid half as much as everyone else) in the USA with my SO, they offered me a job about 5 hours from home here in the UK (with a huge salary) but I didn't accept it because I wanted to move back home and basically I hated the company culture. I had 2 months of looking for a job and went absolutely insane- I felt I had no purpose and I got so tired of writing job applications and running around for job interviews that went nowhere. I recently got offered a less-than-ideal job which isn't normally for graduates. I guess I underestimated how difficult being unemployed would be- I care too much about what people think and all my family were always asking if I had a job yet and if I was going to go on benefits. I also found myself wishing the day away because I was so bored and drained. By accepting this local job, I figured at least I will have something to do to fill my days, and I will be earning money while doing it. Plus even though it had been only 1-2 months since my last job, I was already getting questioned in the interview about what I had been doing since. Let's just say I had a huge reality check, and although hopefully in the future I hope I won't regret declining the offer from my ex-employer, right now I just feel relieved to be employed again.

Comment

I was in pretty much the same situation. I think this is a common problem in our generation. I was worried about the same things when my SO came to visit, but I ended up just applying everywhere anyway (mostly really crappy jobs as well since I am hoping to go back to Europe to get another degree soon), which actually ended up working out for me because finding a job has been a lot harder here than I ever imagined. I couldn't find anything by the time my SO came to visit and still haven't found anything other than a really crap substitute teaching job for a couple weeks. I would start looking if I were you, but it is possible that you won't find anything either and have more time to be together. As others have said, part time allows you plenty of time to visit plus some extra money to do things together. Best of luck and just know that you are not the only one in these situations... The economy in a whole lot of countries is just awful right now.

Comment

Thanks Toggle and Moongoddess for sharing your situations and experiences. I can absolutely relate to many of the things you girls said.
                    I decided to apply to as many job offers as I can. The ones that look and sound interesting to me, of course. I will try to not stress myself too much about it and parallel to the job hunt, I will work on my plans for next year. I am trying to stay positive and it is such a relieve and wonderful feeling to have 2 of my very important people supporting me: My mom and my SO.

Comment

Working...
                    X