Visas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visas

Has anyone had trouble getting visas and figuring out what type of visa to get and the process/time it would take to get one? Right now my SO lives in Scotland and I am in the US. We are trying to see if he could get possibly a working visa to come stay in the US for a year or two while I finish getting my degree in school and then I would plan on moving back with him to Scotland when the time came. He doesn't have any type of formal degree, does anyone know of a visa he could get (not for school or fiancee/marriage) that would allow him to come work over here for a few years without having a degree? Any help is much appreciated! If this doesn't work out, I am planning on trying to go to school in Scotland, but him coming here for a little while would be much easier. Thanks again in advance!

Visas are different for every country, and for every person's situation. I strongly urge you to do your own research on the matter, simply because a lot of the things people tell you won't apply to you unless you're getting the same visa. (Learnt that the hard way lol!) Google your country's immigration & tourism website, they'll likely have the best information. The visa journey forums are also very helpful for some people.

The processing time for visas varies wildly, depending on what visa you go for. Some are really fast (the quickest I ever got one was just shy of a month) while others have long processing times (the visa we just applied for to keep my SO in this country takes 9 - 12 months to process.) So do your research as early as possible and be prepared.
    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

We've had trouble getting a tourist visa for my boyfriend. I live in the US and he's from Peru, which kind of explains why it's been so difficult for us, added to the fact that he's an unmarried male with little savings.

Check out Visajourney and read some stories there. Also go to the US visa website and start researching visas so that you can choose the appropriate one for your SO. Unfortunately, the US is very, very picky about who it lets into its borders, and it really isn't keen on letting foreigners come in, make money, and then leave again. He can get a tourist visa, but I don't think he's allowed to work on a tourist visa, and he can't stay for more than 90 days. He would have to find a job in the US before he arranges for the visa and have the company help him get a visa to work here. Since he doesn't have a degree, this might be increasingly difficult for him. Maybe ask on visajourney and see what they say.
      Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
      Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
      Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

I'm in the US now on an F1 student visa which is good for 6 years (depends on what country you're from), or until I am no longer a student. That took about a week to process. The US also has B visitor visas that are good for 6 months and can be extended until I think a year. If he got a job in the states he could get sponsored for a work permit. Those, and the fiancé and spouse ones are the only ones I'm familiar with. If you googled US visas there's a government website that gives you pretty detailed information about the different types of visas and their processes. I'm pretty sure Scotland is on the list of countries that are eligible for the visa waiver program, which allows him to be in the states for three months at a time.

Comment

The easiest visa to get without going to school in the US is the J1. I did it as a graduate internship, but you can also go as a 'trainee' if you have experience in a certain field. The reason why it's easiest is because you wouldn't require a company to sponsor the employee, you get a 3rd party sponsor who you can pay. I think the maximum time limit is 18 months. I know a lot more about the internship visa though.

Comment

Originally posted by jparrott13 View Post
            He doesn't have any type of formal degree, does anyone know of a visa he could get (not for school or fiancee/marriage) that would allow him to come work over here for a few years without having a degree? Any help is much appreciated! If this doesn't work out, I am planning on trying to go to school in Scotland, but him coming here for a little while would be much easier. Thanks again in advance!
            Oh you live in some sort of dream world *sigh*

The bottom line answer is: no, there is no magical visa he can get on without any special skills to come to a country for a couple years. I'm not sure there's many countries where you can just go on some easy visa for a couple years.

Work visas are incredibly difficult to get. You have to be either a pro-sport player or some world-renowned PhD scientist. Student visas can be easier, if he can afford the super high tuition of an American university.

The final option is to get married.

Getting into the USA is not an easy task. Do some research. It might be much easier for you to go Scotland. Good luck!

Comment

I hate to say it, but I agree with lucybelle. Trying to get into a country without any special skills is really hard.

From the little bit I know about US visas and the tons of research I've done about UK visas, it would probably be easier for you to go to Scotland. Here's a direct link to the UKBA's website about Student Visas. I only say that because you'll have a better chance of being accepted into a university there than he will of finding a job here. In fact, it's one of the reasons why I'm moving over to England instead of my fiance coming here. I have a degree, and he doesn't.

Another thought I just had: have you ever though about doing a study abroad program? It would probably be the easiest and least expensive (although, I hesitate to say that) way to be together for an extended amount of time. The only drawback about it is that you wouldn't be allowed to work.

If you have any questions about UK visas, you're more than welcome to ask me. I hope you figure something out that works for you and your SO.
              "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
              Made it official: September 17, 2010
              Got engaged: January 15, 2012
              Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
              Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
              Got married: November 21, 2012
              Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
              Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

I have been asking myself some very simaler questions.
                The only real option for me and my partner is the fiancee visa from what I have gather will cost around £1500 altogether plus the charges that would go with the spousal visa afterwards. Neither of us have the money needed for Student visas, I am looking at trying to get some seasonal work but that's a big mabey at the moment, keep pluggin away at it you will find a way

Comment

Originally posted by hevpie View Post
                  I have been asking myself some very simaler questions.
                  The only real option for me and my partner is the fiancee visa from what I have gather will cost around £1500 altogether plus the charges that would go with the spousal visa afterwards. Neither of us have the money needed for Student visas, I am looking at trying to get some seasonal work but that's a big mabey at the moment, keep pluggin away at it you will find a way
                  Are UK student visas more expensive than spouse visas? I know you really can't compare from country to country, but my French student visa cost 50 euro.

Comment

From what I have read, it is not so much the Student visa itself that is expensive but the money they expect you to have in your account for expenses beforehand. I read somewhere the minimal excepted is £6000.

From what I read on the fiancee visa (do not quote me here) each part costs a couple of hundred pounds and it all adds up, so if you want it sent off and approved quickly it would be best to already have the cash I would imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by hevpie View Post
                      From what I have read, it is not so much the Student visa itself that is expensive but the money they expect you to have in your account for expenses beforehand. I read somewhere the minimal excepted is £6000.

From what I read on the fiancee visa (do not quote me here) each part costs a couple of hundred pounds and it all adds up, so if you want it sent off and approved quickly it would be best to already have the cash I would imagine.
                      Aha, I didn't think of that. You're right.

Comment

Another point to consider if you get the fiance visa, is that you won't need a student visa to study.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the responses! I feel like getting visas are so impossible, I get that it is doable, but man oh man is it a struggle! Has anyone successfully got a UK working visa? If I can't afford to get a school visa, does anyone know if I would just have to luck out and get sponsored for a job to get a working visa? Thanks!

Comment

Hey!
                            I am not sure what your situation is, if you have a trade you might not find it so hard to get a working visa, however if you are like and do not have a trade (damn I wish I stuck with my nurse training!) I am going to aim for a seasonal work visa at a theme park near my SO, it's only for a few months but its better than a kick in the arse.
                            Getting close to our SO's is no easy task. If you already work for a large company for example, the Hilton Hotel chain you could ask to be transfered to a different country, its a pain in the backside to find companies tha sponser (not impossible) I have been told some Hotels do and large Theme Parks even if its only for a seasonal period.
                            I am currently looking into a seasonal work visa to work in a theme park next summer, even if its just to litter pick, I wish you the very best of luck

Comment

Have you checked into a working holiday visa? I was going to go to europe on one of those..it's basically a visa you can get for up to 2 years..that allows you to work to fund your trip. You need certain things to qualify for it..a certain amount of money, your plane tickets and a passport that is valid throughout your entire stay..but it is worth checking into. I don't know if they are valid everywhere. I am thinking about doing that to be with my SO I finish college. And while he finishes up his degree.

Comment

Working...
                              X