Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deciding not to date due to the distance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deciding not to date due to the distance?

I have a LD friend, we are not a couple. We have been trying to date LD.

He only has time during the weekends to skype and we can't seem to connect.

We tried again this weekend but didn't end up connecting.

I've not lost interest in him, there isn't someone else, I would be with him tomorrow if he asked, I'm in love with him but I'm at the point where I feel due to time demands it is not realistic to be able to get to LD date in a reasonable amount of time. I don't want to hurt him either.

I keep looking forward to spending time with him and then I'm disappointed.

I don't see us not being friends but maybe a talk like OK this isn't realistic?

Im sorry. That has to be awful. how far away are you two? Can you text or email? It may not be right, right now. But never give up hope if you really love him.

Comment

LD can be tough, miles and time constraints are often an issue, but it's how you deal with that is key. Sometimes there isn't any feasible way to work it, but like the above poster stated, you can email, along with other communication methods, if they work for you. I've been LD for 3+ years, without any end in sight, and we make it work by keeping a consistent chat time, but it took a while for us to get it all figured out. As long as you both make that time a priority, you can make a go of it, but without communication on a more or less steady basis, its not really going to work in the long run. Good luck.
      Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Agree with the other two. Almost 1.5 years into my LDR we were still only sending emails once a week and chatting when we happen to be on at the same time. Then we thought "why haven't we been skyping??!!"

Anyways, there's lots of ways to communicate these days, make use of all of them! Don't forget snail mail! He surely has time during the week to write you a letter?

Comment

The distance is US/UK. He is really busy during the week caring for a relative. We do email but it's at the point where we need to be chatting or skyping to get to know one another in a romantic way. We have been LD friends for several years with occasional update email and snail mail cards for holidays & birthdays. We decided to date, and you know how it is,eventually you need time alone to look into each others eyes (virtually ) giggle and spend time alone together without kids or relatives in the room. We just don't seem to be connecting. When one is free the other is busy.

Maybe we can try texting to arrange skyping.

Thank you for listening!

Comment

If you both want it to work then you will find a way.

My SO and I did. Was hard at first organising when we would talk due to time differences, but we did it, and now we just do it when we can.

Leaving facebook messages for each other, and replying when you can works well. We do this pretty much all day everyday. She leaves me a message and i reply when i can - it helps to have a smart phone.

We don't skype much due to bad internet connection at her end, but when we arrange to we make sure we stick by it no matter what
            ~McNab

My Story
            Met first time (in person) October 2011
            Unofficially together since November 2011
            Officially together February 2012
            First visit (me to her): 25 Feb 2012 - 22 March 2012
            First visit (her to me): 28 Dec 2012 - 11 Jan 2013
            Broke up January 2014
            Got back together June 2016

Comment

Working...
            X