Visiting my SO this coming week!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visiting my SO this coming week!

I'm so excited, mostly for getting to see my SO (though it's only been 8 weeks since I was last with her) but also one of my friends (a US citizen) is getting married!

I'm really nervous though as this will be my 4th trip in under a year (see my signature) and am very worried (and kind of expecting) immigration to deny me entry
    Partly due to the number of trips looking "suspicious" and partly due to the short time between trips.

I'm hoping the fact my friend is getting married will be enough (and my return flight) to proove i have a valid reason in the US and I don't plan to overstay - i'm hoping my previous clean record of always leaving when I said I would will help me too. I'll be surprised if I don't at least get pulled out of line, and slightly surprised if I don't go for a secondary questioning/interview

Also hoping the fact that the bride to be is picking me up at the airport will work in my favour.

Haven't been asked about my SO on the last 3 trips, though admitidly they did ask if I had a girlfriend back home!

Just nervous and wanted to type my thoughts down somewhere, and this seemed like a better place than any

Sometimes I wish there was a special visa for partners from another country to help proove that they plan to return - proove that you are in a relationship, get this visa, and have it monitored or something to make sure you are doing what the visa allows etc... would make life easier, though i understand harder work for US Government. I also wish they would trust us a bit more, though I understand why they don't, but thats the point of the Visa Waiver - so lower "threat" internationals can visit the country easier
    Last edited by mcnab; September 7, 2012, 08:35 PM.
    ~McNab

My Story
    Met first time (in person) October 2011
    Unofficially together since November 2011
    Officially together February 2012
    First visit (me to her): 25 Feb 2012 - 22 March 2012
    First visit (her to me): 28 Dec 2012 - 11 Jan 2013
    Broke up January 2014
    Got back together June 2016

I hope everything goes well for you. Reading your post makes me very thankful that my SO is in the same country so it doesn't matter how often we fly to see each other (though it's generally only every few months). Best of luck!

Comment

Thank you. Yeah any long distance sucks, but when you have the added issue of Immigration, and not knowing if they will let you in to the country until you get to the airport is a pain in the backside
      ~McNab

My Story
      Met first time (in person) October 2011
      Unofficially together since November 2011
      Officially together February 2012
      First visit (me to her): 25 Feb 2012 - 22 March 2012
      First visit (her to me): 28 Dec 2012 - 11 Jan 2013
      Broke up January 2014
      Got back together June 2016

Comment

Completely agree Mcnab....... I've done Glasgow to Minneapolis 5 times in a year. I think its ironic that you have to work so hard to prove you're going home then when it comes to closing the distance you have to work at proving you have spent time together.

Comment

Hope you have fun your on your trip! You are actually traveling the same day my SO is to come see me!

Comment

Mcnab I sympathise with you totally...It's always nerve wracking going through border control in America. Especially if you've made numerous trips over in a short period of time. In one sense your so excited about taking that long flight over to be with your partner and then as soon as you land and queue up those nerves start to kick in & your wondering whether there going to pull you aside. I think as long as you have a return flight booked then you'll be fine. Is there anything else you can take to prove your returning? Like proof that you have a job? Everytime I've gone over I've been questioned intensely. Who I'm going to visit, how much money do I have, Do I have a boyfriend, Am I getting married. I do understand they have to check people out, it's just so intimidating....My I sweated so badly the last time I went because I was going for nearly three months, but I answered the questions and was let through.

I'm sure you'll be fine...I hope it all goes well for you.....Do let us know....

Started Writing - February 2010
            First Visit - September 2010
            Second Visit - June 2011
            Third Visit & His Release Date - February 2012
            Our Wedding Day - April 2012
            Submitted I-130 Visa Application - July 2012
            NOA1 - July 2012
            NOA2 - December 2012
            Fourth Visit - December 2012
            Closing The Distance - Watch this space

Comment

Awww I know exactly how I feel. I get super worried whenever I visit the US. It sucks so much that we cannot just go there whenever we want
              However, good news. I've been over there four times within a year now and I thought I'd get into a second questioning the last time. But then, to my big surprise, I barely got any questions. And I think the fact you're going to a wedding will be very reassuring for the ios. Maybe you can take the invitation with you just in case?
              Let us know how it all went. I'm not going until the end of my year again as my SO will be the next one to visit so i have a long time outside the US. Hopefully then I'll be ok when I go next time

Comment

Working...
              X