When you realize you're not at home anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you realize you're not at home anymore

I know we have had plenty of cultural differences threads, but has something ever happened and you think "I'm not in Kansas anymore"?

Last night I went to a party and the music was coming from a computer on youtube. I went over and played "Superman" by Soulja Boy. I was doing the whole little dance and everything. About a minute into the song I realized everyone was starring at me. Not only did no one know the dance, but no one even knew the song! Of course by then, I had had enough tinto verano to just keep dancing by myself (I also played Thong Song, Walk it Out, Back that Ass Up and Baby Got Back, with absolutely no reaction. Well, some people knew Baby Got Back )

Then right after Superman went off, someone put on an old mariachi song and everyone started singing together, swaying back and forth. The next song was a tango.

Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore!

haha...what kind of party were you at?

Comment

Originally posted by D.4C View Post
      haha...what kind of party were you at?
      I guess I could say a "normal" one? Young people, drinking, dancing, chatting...

Comment

There's this little dive bar in downtown Helsinki that is a favorite of one of my boy's good friends, and we go there every visit. It's tiny and jam packed. They only play very traditional Finnish music very LOUDLY, and it's the one place we go where there's no English to be heard, and even a lot of the alcohol is Finnish. I have to use all of my "anteeksi"'s and "yksi (or kaksi) olut kiitos"'s (excuse me, and one or two beers, thanks) and whatever else I can furiously dig out of my confused brain It's the one place I can count on to get crap for being American by Finnish university students and older, redneck types trying out their English It's fun though, but my guy actually doesn't like the place. I love a good noisy dive bar, he's not as into it.
        Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Last year I spent NYE in Germany -not at my SO's as he was not in the picture yet-
          I was staying with this german family I met years ago. They are a family of 6: 4 boys/guys between 16-28 years old, the mom and grandma.
          So the morning of Dec 31st, we were at the table having breakfast, when all of a sudden one of the boys (25) said: "Just to remind everybody that once we are done with breakfast, we are all going back to our bedrooms and try to sleep because this will be a long day" I then asked what were the plans for that day that was going to make it so long? They said: well Thorsten* and Hans* (18, 28) are having friends over to play video games until it is 12am, after that they will go outside, light some fireworks and then come back and keep playing... it's a big deal! ?!? , Bastian* (16) will have some friends over as well and they will watch a movie in the basement, Florian* was going out with some friends but he was considering not going because there are many drunk people on NYE and he wants to stay out of trouble. Mom will go to the neighbors and come back after the fireworks.

I in first place didn't like the idea of going back to sleep (hallooo, I just woke up!). I also didn't like the idea of sitting my butt on a couch the whole night to play video games (which I don't like), because this is something you can do everyday.. come on, it's NYE, is this the way you are welcoming the new year? give me a break! (apologies to the gamers out there).

But hey, I remained calm and super understanding. I am aware and respectful of cultural differences and so on. But seriously on that night I really thought: "I am not in Kansas anymore". In most latin american countries we are outside our houses (ok ok, I get the weather helps) partying, drinking, dancing with family, relatives, neighbors.. it's a lot of fun! people dress up, there are lots of fireworks, food, laughs, etc... So yeah, that year was a LOT different.

Comment

When I was an exchange student in the US
            ....and I found myself Christmas-tree shopping at Wall Mart in shorts and t-shirt....no snow anywhere
            ...or when a red, worn down pick-up filled with chopped off alligator heads drove by

Too strange...hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Reglisse View Post
              When I was an exchange student in the US
              ....and I found myself Christmas-tree shopping at Wall Mart in shorts and t-shirt....no snow anywhere
              ...or when a red, worn down pick-up filled with chopped off alligator heads drove by

Too strange...hahaha
              Just curious.. where did you visit? o.O;;
              That sounds strange to me and I live in the middle of nowhere in the US. XD
              "Babe, I'm totally murdering everyone in this building right now! ... You would be so proud of me."
              This. This is only one of the reasons that I love this man. XD

"I'll surrender up my heart and swap it for yours."
              Por siempre, mi amor. ♥

Comment

*When I went to the supermarket on my own, and the checkout girl addressed me in Estonian.

*Also, when I couldn't find a fish n chip join.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                  I went over and played "Superman" by Soulja Boy. I was doing the whole little dance and everything. About a minute into the song I realized everyone was starring at me. Not only did no one know the dance, but no one even knew the song! Of course by then, I had had enough tinto verano to just keep dancing by myself (I also played Thong Song, Walk it Out, Back that Ass Up and Baby Got Back, with absolutely no reaction. Well, some people knew Baby Got Back )

Then right after Superman went off, someone put on an old mariachi song and everyone started singing together, swaying back and forth. The next song was a tango.

Lucybelle you crack me up. I can totally picture how it went down. I have spent a lot of time in Costa Rica and I can just imagine you were the hit of the party OK, now, to be honest, I had to youtube the song just now cause I didn't know the dance BUT, if you did that dance in front of me, I would have thought, wow, she is a good dancer (I mean, I assume you did it well).

I certainly can sing all the words to Baby's Got Back...did that most recently at a wedding...my Turkish boyfriend was most impressed, he stopped dancing and stared, he was so impressed that I knew all the words.

I think my Kansas moment would be in Guatemala, my first big birthday party for a family member...the birthday cake came out and they sang Feliz Cumpleanos (Yep, totally ready for it, sang the words along with everyone)...but then, when I thought ok time for cake...the tape recorder (yes tape) comes on and this crazy old English version of Happy Birthday comes on...and EVERYONE attempted to sing along, and of course, they all were watching me, smiling cheesy grins not the Birthday kid...maybe to see if I knew the words?

I hate to admit it Lucybelle, but I probably knew that old Mariachi song better than Superman

Comment

When I get on the bus, I'm not pushed around by a horde of people trying to get a seat.
                    I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

Working...
                    X