Visa success stories........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visa success stories........

I just want to know if there's anyone from England that has successfully gone through the visa process from the U.K to America? Me & my husband filed the I-130 visa application two months ago and I want to know how long it can roughly take from start to finish? I am so worried I'm going to be denied, but this is just a fear I have as my hubby's on parole, although he is working full time and earning enough to show he can support me. And I don't have a criminal record or any diseases Lol! Just want some advice from someone that has gone through this process because it's so hard and confusing and at the end of the day all I want is to be with my poppet.....In the beginning we did get advice from an immigration lawyer and she said it's easy to file the I-130, so we ended up doing it ourselves.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated.....

Thank you in advance!!!

Started Writing - February 2010
    First Visit - September 2010
    Second Visit - June 2011
    Third Visit & His Release Date - February 2012
    Our Wedding Day - April 2012
    Submitted I-130 Visa Application - July 2012
    NOA1 - July 2012
    NOA2 - December 2012
    Fourth Visit - December 2012
    Closing The Distance - Watch this space

I've heard it can take 6 months - 1 year to process marriage visas. It also can take a lot longer if you mail it rather then pay the extra and do it in person. I don't have any specific advice on that particular visa but for the ones UK/Canada they can take a while.

Comment

Check out www.visajourney.com

Everything you need to know and MORE!

Comment

We filed a K-1 Visa (i-129) and here's a rough outline of the events:

Filed July 2011
        Approved October 2011
        Medical January 2012
        Interview March 2012
        Received Visa May 2012
        Filed for Green Card September 2012

Now waiting to hear back from that. It's a lengthy, grueling process. Lots of paperwork to gather. I'm not sure if the i-130 will be the same though. If you have any specific questions, I'll be more than happy to try to answer them. Good luck!

Met: November 19, 2010
        Tim came to Texas: April 27, 2011
        Made it official: April 29, 2011
        Lori went to England: September 21, 2011
        Mini trip to Paris: September 22, 2011
        Tim popped the question: September 22, 2011
        K-1 Visa approved!: May 21, 2012
        Closed the distance!: July 26, 2012
        Got married: September 22, 2012

Comment

Thanks all for your posts and advice, I do so appreciate it...I really do! Our petition went to the Californian Service Centre and their rough guide says it can take up to five months...from there it gets passed to immigration in London and that's when I get involved....i.e medicals, evidence of bona fide marriage etc. There was the option of filing for the K3 inbetween filing the I-130 but was told by an immigration lawyer that it may take a few months off the I-130 process but when I get to America there is more to deal with. Were as the I-130 covers me for two years...for e.g working visa etc!! I just hate wating in limbo. All I want is to be there with my husband and I feel like I'm being treated like a criminal. Although I do understand they need to do their checks etc.....

Captivated the KI is the fiance visa? Or am I wrong?
          Last edited by Oldblighty; September 11, 2012, 02:29 PM. Reason: Made a boo boo Lol

Second Visit - June 2011
          NOA1 - July 2012
          NOA2 - December 2012

Comment

Yes it's the fiance visa. We got married as soon as he landed here in the US...well we waited a couple of days :P But just so we could start the next chapter of trying to obtain the green card...another nightmare I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Captivated View Post
              Yes it's the fiance visa. We got married as soon as he landed here in the US...well we waited a couple of days :P But just so we could start the next chapter of trying to obtain the green card...another nightmare I'm sure.
              But from what I can gather from what you said is that once you got married your hubby stayed and he's going through the green card process now? Am I right or wrong?

I now know that me and my hubby went about it in the wrong way. I should have gone out there for a visit, made sure that our relationship was going to move to the next level...returned to England...sorted what I needed too...gone back...married and apply for an AOS? Just feel like a complete fool now Like I did this all the wrong way...Just hate this...being scrutinised......Me and my hubby are really struggling with this distance....Just want to be with him....

Second Visit - June 2011
              NOA1 - July 2012
              NOA2 - December 2012

Comment

The K-1 Visa is the only legal way to get married to a US citizen (and move to the US). However, there is a loophole where you could have married him on a tourist visa - however, you would have needed to prove that you didn't visit him with intention of getting married. And then you wouldn't have been able to leave until after you adjusted your status. It can be risky but I know people who have done it that way.

Comment

The K-1 Visa is the only legal way to get married to a US citizen (and move to the US).
                  Not quite. It's legal to get married in the US or your home country and then file for a marriage visa. If you do it in the US, however, you have to leave the country again and wait for your greencard.
                  Both K1 and the marriage visa are options and have there advantages and disadvantages...

Comment

Well I was talking about before getting married. And I was told by my friend who works in immigration that if you get married in the US using the tourist visa, you CAN'T leave the country - you have to overstay your visa. I know there is a visa for when you're already married.

Comment

Well I was talking about before getting married. And I was told by my friend who works in immigration that if you get married in the US using the tourist visa, you CAN'T leave the country - you have to overstay your visa. I know there is a visa for when you're already married.
                      This is what I was told too. I sometimes wish I had done it this way because it's difficult being away from hubby, but I had to return home. So I'm hoping immigration looks kindly on us because we did it this way.....

Second Visit - June 2011
                      NOA1 - July 2012
                      NOA2 - December 2012

Comment

Do you know of anywhere that says this? My fiance and I are planning on getting married in the US, but we aren't going to live here afterwards. We're planning on moving to England afterwards.
                        "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
                        Made it official: September 17, 2010
                        Got engaged: January 15, 2012
                        Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
                        Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
                        Got married: November 21, 2012
                        Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
                        Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by princessmeg1328 View Post
                          Do you know of anywhere that says this? My fiance and I are planning on getting married in the US, but we aren't going to live here afterwards. We're planning on moving to England afterwards.
                          I am sure you can get married and just go back home if you'er using VWP; people go to Vegas all the time and come back with no problem. They just get a but suspicious at border control if you have a wedding dress, but so long as you can prove your not staying, it's all good and legal.

My K1 took 7 months start to receiving the visa. I've been here another 7 months, got my work permit and Advanced Parole after 3 months. Still waiting on the greencard, but it got sent to California so hopefully I won't have to go for any more interviews.

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
                          <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
                          The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
                          <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
                          <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
                          Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
                          Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by princessmeg1328 View Post
                            Your fiance isn't planning on moving to the US so that wouldn't apply to you.

Comment

Your fiance isn't planning on moving to the US so that wouldn't apply to you.
                              I must have misread what you said originally then. I guess all of this visa stuff is starting to take it's toll on me! lol
                              I thought it was all as Nicole said. Fortunately, I won't be the doing the travelling for the wedding. He will. It might still be good to have a place that says what you said earlier though, Captivated. Just to point people in the right direction.
                              "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
                              Made it official: September 17, 2010
                              Got engaged: January 15, 2012
                              Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
                              Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
                              Got married: November 21, 2012
                              Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
                              Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Working...
                              X