Visas make everything so difficult =(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visas make everything so difficult =(

Need someone to just give me some hope or something... Visa research is making me super sad. =( I just want him to be here with me...

Has anyone got any success stories from anywhere in the world to the UK?

Hope everyone is good by the way,

x

I just wanted to agree with you that each time i research VISA stuff, I get so depressed. It seems too much too handle...

Though my sister got all the VISA stuff from the UK to Canada for her husband figured out pretty easily... but it's within the commonwealth, so I'm sure that helps...
    First met online: June, 2010
    First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
    Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
    Third visit together: August, 2012
    Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
    Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
    Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
    Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

I definitely know that feeling. Every time someone just mentions something about visas, I start stressing out about it. Having said that though, my future sister in law is also from the US, and she got granted a spouse visa in July. That was under the old rules though. There are all kinds of websites out there though where people talking about getting their visas. Just make sure you follow all the guidelines. Do you know when and which visa you're applying for?
      "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
      Made it official: September 17, 2010
      Got engaged: January 15, 2012
      Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
      Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
      Got married: November 21, 2012
      Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
      Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Not that many people here actually have bad visa stories. I do, so I won't tell you about it. :P
        Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
        Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
        Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

We've been pretty lucky with our visas (except for the one time mine got "lost in the post" less than a month before I had to fly, and I had to pay the fee twice >.> )but we're also really pedantic following the rules too.

Visas make it harder, but they don't make it impossible. Break it down into easy steps and take them one at a time.

I've never been anywhere near the UK so I can't really be helpful, but just think of how many people immigrate every year (I'm sure you can find statistics somewhere). If those people can manage it, there's no reason you can't!
          Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Visas (and I'm assuming you mean the ones you get to VISIT, not to RESIDE) to the UK are notoriously difficult to obtain, especially for people from North-Africa. In fact, as much as I would love to visit England and Scotland, I never even attempted to apply for one because I'm not confident in my chances of getting it. And I have a steady job and income.

There might be a solution, though. Can your SO sign up to a language program that organizes linguistic trips to the UK? They can get him a visa pretty easily, but that's very expensive, as far as I know. If he can afford that, he could visit you.

If not, well, he could apply for a Schengen tourist visa and you could meet up in France, Germany, or wherever's most convenient for you. Or you could visit him in Tunisia?
            I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

I am just agreeing as well.
              My SO and I have tried twice to close the distance and things didn't even work out enough to APPLY for a visa (got rejected for grad school, couldn't find a contact that would be willing to get me a work visa). This is the third thing (marriage visa) we are trying and it is really rough. It requires him to work his butt off (he needs to work 8 hours a day, 7 days a week!) for at least 6 months while I sit here in my parents house, depressed that I'm living here and trying to save up some money. If he can't make the money, we have to save up a ridiculous amount of money that will probably take us at least 5 years to save up. He could come here easier but I heard you still have to wait at least 6 months and we don't want to live here.
              Ultimately, it feels like the world doesn't want us to be together. It hurts a lot!

Comment

As far as visa's go, we're the people in the best position to be successful, as they seem to be granted with more ease than other types of visa. So at least there's that going for us.

But yeah I agree, it sucks that its so difficult to move between countries (other than EU to EU migration). The fact that I'll likely have to marry my SO to have a good chance of us being able to live together in the long run seems pretty ridiculous really. And immigration seems to be getting harder all the time (well other than way back when, when you needed to own a massive boat to go anywhere!). I can understand governments want to know who's in the country and it's important to regulate numbers and such, but yeah it seems tough . Bit of persistence and patience does the job :P.

Comment

i know the feeling trust me, after 3 rejections we finally got ours approved!! and i still have to get a spouse visa O_o *headsdesks* its all worth it in the end

Comment

Originally posted by Littlebirdlolita View Post
                    Need someone to just give me some hope or something... Visa research is making me super sad. =( I just want him to be here with me...

Has anyone got any success stories from anywhere in the world to the UK?

Hope everyone is good by the way,

x
                    Having just gone through the process myself (see my timeline in my signature) we were very successful! But even more fortunate, as we put in my application before the UK immigration rules changed on July 9th. Although we have been in a relationship for almost five years, and just having gotten married last November, we spent less than a month together after our marriage and he had to go back to the UK due to difficult circumstances on my end, but were not of my doing and were out of my control and influence.

It took longer than most other LDRs for us to close the distance, but we both decided we wanted more work experience - plus he was working on his undergrad while I was working abroad for a few years, and in the end, it made us a heckuva lot more mature and well-informed and patient with each other, creating an even more solid and strong relationship between us.

Originally posted by eveningsky View Post
                    I am just agreeing as well.
                    My SO and I have tried twice to close the distance and things didn't even work out enough to APPLY for a visa (got rejected for grad school, couldn't find a contact that would be willing to get me a work visa). This is the third thing (marriage visa) we are trying and it is really rough. It requires him to work his butt off (he needs to work 8 hours a day, 7 days a week!) for at least 6 months while I sit here in my parents house, depressed that I'm living here and trying to save up some money. If he can't make the money, we have to save up a ridiculous amount of money that will probably take us at least 5 years to save up. He could come here easier but I heard you still have to wait at least 6 months and we don't want to live here.
                    Ultimately, it feels like the world doesn't want us to be together. It hurts a lot!
                    That's really unfortunate. I'm sorry to hear that happened..

I understand with the new rules that it's even more difficult to get a visa.. but this is a strong sacrifice both of you will make to be together.

There's a helpful proverb that I was told when I lived abroad, and in English roughly translates to, "A journey of a thousand miles feels like one mile when going to see the one you love." These words have stuck with me and kept the both of us motivated.

In the meantime, I'd say do your best to find some work, save up and sell off as much as you can, and do things that you love to pass the time.. the both of us have been waiting the combined time of my husband's US fiance visa and my UK settlement visa (about a year and a half) and in the end things turned out okay. Also, look into other options.. i.e. the EEA family permit route, or even reconsider getting married in the US for the time being (since the UK rules have made it even harder for the moment, although I hear that the rules are going under review sometime later this year.)

Good luck. You can do this!

Comment

Originally posted by pink elephant View Post
                      That's really unfortunate. I'm sorry to hear that happened..

I understand with the new rules that it's even more difficult to get a visa.. but this is a strong sacrifice both of you will make to be together.

There's a helpful proverb that I was told when I lived abroad, and in English roughly translates to, "A journey of a thousand miles feels like one mile when going to see the one you love." These words have stuck with me and kept the both of us motivated.

In the meantime, I'd say do your best to find some work, save up and sell off as much as you can, and do things that you love to pass the time.. the both of us have been waiting the combined time of my husband's US fiance visa and my UK settlement visa (about a year and a half) and in the end things turned out okay. Also, look into other options.. i.e. the EEA family permit route, or even reconsider getting married in the US for the time being (since the UK rules have made it even harder for the moment, although I hear that the rules are going under review sometime later this year.)

Good luck. You can do this!
                      Thanks! I like that quote. My mom has a similar quote in a picture frame on her bedroom wall that says "The road to a friend's house is never long."
                      I am working. I am doing some things for myself as well (yoga classes, getting out of the house when I can and I'm not exhausted!) Work makes my schedule very erratic. I never get the same days off and I work second shift so it's hard to do things I love (especially traveling). Also, it's hard to do things I love without spending at least a little bit of money.
                      The EEA family route seems amazing but too good to be true. They still want you to show financial stuff and it's not very specific about what they want. The website seems to just lead me back to "you'll have to get a fiance/spousal visa."
                      If he comes over here, I'm afraid we'll be stuck here for the rest of our lives unless he goes over there to secure a job for 6 months (which will probably take a year with visa applications and all) and the thought of being in an LDR again (while married) is unacceptable to me. Honestly, I don't see the visa laws changing for the best there. The UK is a little island that has a dense population, they are not going to relax immigration. I see you're doing it and best of luck to you! I'm not that strong.
                      All of this has gotten so unbearable we've had to push it out of our minds. If we even try to talk about it logically, he gets upset because he feels like he's doing all he can but it isn't enough (and honestly, I don't think he's making enough money right now for us to be able to apply in 6 months). If I try to convince him to come over here he acts like he might be okay with it but I know he really wouldn't be. He's too wrapped up in his life over there while I am not a huge fan of my life here. It only makes sense for me to go to him.

Comment

I have a successful visa story (from Australia to UK). I got the YMS (youth mobility scheme) visa which means I can live and work in the uk for 2years. And it surprisingly went smoothly once the ball got rolling. A little bit of running around for biometrics and such but it took less time than what I had thought. It all got sorted within about a month!
                        And now im 9 days to close the distance forever with my SO

Comment

I can totally feel you and what everyone else has said. Every time I think Visa, or hear visa, I get super depressed. It's an uphill battle for me right now. I still have 1 year of school left, and *fingers crossed* I'll find someone to give me a work visa to Canada.

Good Luck to everyone undergoing this ridiculous process!!

Comment

Indeed visas are horrible. I tried to get a tourist visa for the states to visit some friends and my godfather, and i got denied. Just gave up the idea totally after the way i was treated. I was a college student with a part time job and i still didn't qualify apparently.

Now i have to freak out for the Belgium work visa in 2 years, which is horrible to get. You need to get your employer to apply for you and they need to provide proof that they haven't found any dutch qualified for the position. Not to mention education levels and diplomas from here not being recognized and such. Can always go for the marriage visa as we will have 7 years of history by then, but i refuse to do this just to work our way around the system.

I honestly don't understand the logic. In so many countries the marriage/spouse/fiancee/whatever name visa is the "easiest" to get (compared to work and some student ones) and then they complain about the high number of fake marriages just for obtaining a visa. And of course there's the number of people who actually abuse this and those getting illegally into countries who just ruin the chances for the decent and honest people.
                            Last edited by rina; September 25, 2012, 06:59 PM. Reason: typos, typos everywhere!

Comment

Not looking forward to when I'll have to apply for visas....urgh

Comment

Working...
                              X