Any Cuban/American relationships here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Cuban/American relationships here?

I've researched online about Americans visiting Cuba and it seems to be very tricky. The reason I'm asking is because B, who lives in Canada, wants to winter there after he retires. It is no problem for a Canadian to visit Cuba, but Americans are not allowed to from what I've read.

Anyone know more about this issue?
    February 2012 -- met online
    August 2012 -- he said "I love you."
    April 2013 -- met in person
    June 2013 -- broke up
    July 2013 -- back together
    August 2013 -- 2nd visit
    October 20, 2013 -- He proposed!
    April 22, 2014 -- Married/closed the distance!

I know plenty of US citizens who have visited Cuba. I think Obama recently passed something that if you have a direct relative in Cuba you can go. But I haven't researched that much since I don't have a direct relative in Cuba! To get to Cuba as a US citizen, you simply have to go through another country. For example, buy a round trip ticket USA-Mexico, then a round trip ticket Mexico-Cuba. This ticket can (obviously) not be bought through an American travel agency or website. So look for Canadian sites or Latin American sites.

At the border, your passport will not be stamped. You get a tourist visa that they stamp for you. DON'T LOSE YOUR PASSPORT IN CUBA. Or you'll be in deep.

But otherwise, it's a pretty easy process. Like I said, I know plenty of US cits who have been without a problem. Just don't tell the US border you're going there! And if you buy and Cuban products, don't claim them.

Comment

Thanks a bunch lucybelle!! I have also heard that you can go to Cuba through Canada. So, it would probably be best to just go to him, then the 2 of us leave there together to Cuba.
      June 2013 -- broke up
      August 2013 -- 2nd visit

Comment

They also have what is known as the "People to people" licenses which are issued by the treasury department which allows americans to legally go to cuba. While it's a program it is one way to legally get to cuba https://travel.nytimes.com/2011/07/1...cuba.html?_r=0

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Thanks for the link, Riyko! I'll check it out!
          June 2013 -- broke up
          August 2013 -- 2nd visit

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
            For example, buy a round trip ticket USA-Mexico, then a round trip ticket Mexico-Cuba. This ticket can (obviously) not be bought through an American travel agency or website. So look for Canadian sites or Latin American sites.

I know this thread is old but the subject has come up again between B and me. As for the above ^^^, I've been reading articles where Americans did just that and were somehow found out once they re-entered America and were heavily fined for it plus had gone through intense interrogation so, now, I'm afraid to do it!!
            June 2013 -- broke up
            August 2013 -- 2nd visit

Comment

Originally posted by Benni View Post
              I know this thread is old but the subject has come up again between B and me. As for the above ^^^, I've been reading articles where Americans did just that and were somehow found out once they re-entered America and were heavily fined for it plus had gone through intense interrogation so, now, I'm afraid to do it!!
              Where did you read this? I've never heard of anything like that. It's really only illegal to spend USA earned income in Cuba, so if you don't do that you should be okay.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                Where did you read this?
                *groan* -- Girl, I've read so many articles and so many Cuban/American forum posts on various sites that my eyes burned out -- not to mention my brain!! Soooooo, I can't direct you to where I read it. Sorry.
                June 2013 -- broke up
                August 2013 -- 2nd visit

Comment

Working...
                X