Currency!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jaja, Danish bridges!

I also like the lempira (Honduras). On the back of one they have some battle or murder scene. It's strange. They also have lots of indigenous people on the bills which I've never seen before. Usually it's the rich white dead guys.

Comment

Zephii already posted the Australian dollar.

They adopted the Euro in Estonia last year, but before that they had the Estonian Kroon (Crown, same concept as in Denmark and Sweden), which replaced the Estonian Mark (Same concept as the former Deutsch Mark)

Comment

Peru

I'm editing this so I can add my own photos, because I can't find anything even half as inclusive or detailed on Google...

In Peru, they use Nuevo Soles, which replaced the Inti that were used until 1991 due to massive inflation, which, in turn, had replaced the Sol de Oro due to massive inflation in the 1980s (gg Peru). My SO was nice enough to share part of his coin collection with me, so I got some of these to keep. They are also coming out with a coin series on the 1 Nuevo Sol coins, much like the US state quarters, and my SO and his mom worked hard to put together an up-to-date collection for me before I left. By the time I go back, the rest of the 20 coin set should be released, and we'll be able to complete our collections.

Soles kind of have a double entendre in their name because of their history. The "Sol de Oro" got its name from the Latin "solidus," which was a gold coin used by the Romans, but it also happens to translate to "sun of gold." The "Inti" that replaced them use the Quechua (Incan language) word for sun, and the Nuevo Soles again use the Spanish word for sun, so Peruvians have always dealt in "suns."

Recently they started phasing out the 1 centimo coin, so my SO made sure I had one before they were gone. :3 Currently 1 USD = about 2.5 soles, and Peruvian Soles are continuing to increase in value. With luck, the 20 Soles I saved from my previous trip will be quivalent to $10+ USD by the time I go there again!

Soles de Oro:

My own photo of the Soles de Oro that my SO gave to me. You can see that they changed a lot from year to year. There's a "centavos" in there that clearly says it's from the central bank of Peru on the back, but is dated to that time period... so really, I have no idea about that one.

The coins all have Tupac Amaru on them, who was the last Inca leader of Peru before he was executed by the Spanish. You can look up the rest of the bills yourself if you're interested-- I can't find one collective image, but a google image search shows the variety.

Inti:

Not many pictures available for this one.

Nuevo Sol:

I'm so sorry for the terrible lighting, I did the best I could with what I had. x_x

I should definitely add that my favorite part about Peruvian currency is that it is abbreviated "PEN", and when I look up exchange rates for USD, it says "PENUS."
        Last edited by kittyo9; October 15, 2012, 11:14 PM.
        Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
        Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
        Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

This thread is very interesting! My SO has the pound sterling as posted by lademoiselle on the first page, and I love it so much but mostly because it's my SO's currency..

But I see no one has yet posted the Canadian money.. well it's not like our money is very interesting.. at least it's colourful! haha..

And here's the new $50 and $100 bills, they are made of some sort of plastic material, supposed to be harder to tear..

And here are our coins! I just noticed there's also a Canadian $0.50 coin.. I just looked it up, it's not made in large quantities, apparently only about 450,000 per year (it seems like a lot but I'm guessing in regards to currency it's not much) and that's why it's not very common, but it's still legal tender.. just not used very often, people tend to collect them if they get them in their change. Also they've stopped making pennies now (as of May 2012) but people can still use them too.

Comment

here in Austria we use the Euro, but before we had the Schilling

In my bf's country, México, they use Pesos Mexicanos

the coins:

the bills (they are colourful too):

two examples of the new ones:

1 USD = 12,80 Pesos

Comment

Wait squeeker, you have Queen Elizabeth (I or II) on your notes? We only have her on our coins

Comment

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
                Wait squeeker, you have Queen Elizabeth (I or II) on your notes? We only have her on our coins
                She's only on the $20 bill, and on the back of all the coins. They update her image every couple of decades as she ages :P

All of the currencies I could post have been posted! Canadian Dollars, Euro and here where we both live now, we use pounds stirling I will admit, I find pounds infuriating. They are so pretty but since most banks make their own notes, people can be frustrating about what notes they accept.

Like any time I have Scottish notes I have to try and change them for English ones as no on in London seems to accept the Scottish ones.
                I particularly like the Clydesdale Bank ones:

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
                Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

Originally posted by mllebamako View Post
                  ETA: TwoThree-- I am in love with your bills! Now I'll have to go to Algeria or something so I can get some.
                  You better come quickly then! The prettiest one (IMO), the 100 dinar bill is vanishing quickly since they made the coins, and the 200 ones are all old and gross and fading. They say they're going to make 200 dinar coins soon.
                  I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

We use euros in Finland like Elina already posted but these are Hong Kong dollars from my SO's city:

Their 10 dollar note is quite interesting as it looks nothing like the rest of the notes and it's partially made of plastic:

10 HK dollars is about 1 euro.

Comment

Im from New Zealand and we just have the NZ Dollar, which I think is quite pretty. My SO is from Wales which is the Pound Sterling which has already been posted##

Comment

Ooh, also, being from the US... the US $1 hasn't changed in like 80 years. Boring! xD
                        Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
                        Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
                        Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Working...
                        X