US Visa (Tourist) Tips!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Visa (Tourist) Tips!

Hello, i figured since I just got mine a few months back without a problem I could give some of you guys that have SO's in the States a few tipss

*People from some countries do not need a visa to enter the US and can stay in the US up to 6 months.*

I will give you a little bit of a background of myself. I'm from Thailand. I was lucky enough to have traveled to the US two times before; first time was when i was 4 years old with a tourist visa that was good for 5 years.

In 2011, I participated in Summer Work and Travel program and recieved a J1 visa for exchange visitors (and thats how i met my BF (online) but I had to come back to finish college in Thailand.

This year (June 2012) I decided to apply for a tourist visa again, and eventhough I'm one of those who has a pretty good background (traveled to a few countries before and still in a 3rd year of college which considered to be a "tie" to my home country). I was still nervous... Anyways, I went for the interview and received a 10 year tourist visa. woot woot!

So, my tips for those who are thinking about applying for a visa to visit your SOs in the US aree...

1) If you are still a student, dont worry too much about your bank statement. A certificate from school is what matter the most! So, go for it! (it's alot harder to apply and recieve the visa once you are out of school and don't have a stable job yet!)

2) If you can afford, go visit countries nearby just so your passport is not so "clean". It shows that you have the means to travel and wont be an illegal immigrant to the US.

3) Don't even mention your SO in the interview. I overheard one of the girls mentioning her bf in the US and got denied the visa for a reason related to her "ties".

GOODLUCK!

I just booked a rountrip ticket to visit my bf for less than $1000 (keep looking on orbitz and expedia) and the visa fees was about $160. I also have a problem with my father not liking the idea of me traveling right when im done with college (haven't told him yet really) but I will be 23 in a few months, so it's not up to him anymore... If I can do it, you can do it too.!

I'll deffinitely post my success story when i'm with him in Feb 2013.

Oh and if you are still in college, Summer Work and Travel is also a good way to get into the US! You can live and work there legally up to 5 months!

Comment

Also try your hardest to be rich and not from a poor country that sends immigrants frequently.

We did everything and we still got shot down.
      Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
      Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
      Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Originally posted by kittyo9 View Post
        Also try your hardest to be rich and not from a poor country that sends immigrants frequently.

We did everything and we still got shot down.
        I feel for you couples like yourself . It's the actions of some that ultimately come back to affect the majority.

But I would agree that if you need to get a visa, don't mention a partner.

Comment

I'm sorry kittyo9 I know it's harder for some countries than others. Hope this can help someone though.

Comment

Working...
          X