Can't use my phone in Canada....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't use my phone in Canada....

I have a prepaid StraightTalk cell phone. I can buy international minutes and use it from USA to Canada, but can't use it once I'm in Canada. I'd like to be able to call B during my long layovers, in Toronto and Halifax, when I go to visit him.

Any ideas/suggestions?
    February 2012 -- met online
    August 2012 -- he said "I love you."
    April 2013 -- met in person
    June 2013 -- broke up
    July 2013 -- back together
    August 2013 -- 2nd visit
    October 20, 2013 -- He proposed!
    April 22, 2014 -- Married/closed the distance!

Nope sorry. Some service providers don't have cell towers or partner carriers in other countries. If you have a laptop pay for wifi in the airport and skype him or use a pay phone. My cell is useless as soon as I step foot out of the country.

Comment

You could buy something like a prepaid calling card that will work from Canada if the layovers will be long distance calls..I think one can get such things but I've never looked into it.

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
        Nope sorry. or use a pay phone.
        I'll have to use a payphone then. Do they take US quarters or will I have to convert to Canadian coin?

Thanks, Gurl, I'll look into that.
        June 2013 -- broke up
        August 2013 -- 2nd visit

Comment

Originally posted by Benni View Post
          I'll have to use a payphone then. Do they take US quarters or will I have to convert to Canadian coin?

Thanks, Gurl, I'll look into that.
          Canadian quarters and american ones are identical in size so it should be okay, but it is always good to have the correct currency when you travel to another country. I know america is a jerk when it comes to Canadian currency, I went a toll booth once and they refused to take a canadian nickel. Very frustrating!

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
            Canadian quarters and american ones are identical in size so it should be okay
            Thanks! I'll remember that. Calling him from a payphone is better than nothing.
            June 2013 -- broke up
            August 2013 -- 2nd visit

Comment

I don't know anything about StraightTalk but is it a smartphone? If it is, you can connect to the wifi in the airport (assuming they have it) and talk on Skype or Viber. If not, I agree that a payphone is your best bet.

Met online: 1/30/11
              Met in person: 5/30/12
              Second visit: 9/12/12
              Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

If you have a smartphone (or even a laptop), your best bet is to use a VOIP service (like Dez suggested). You could probably find out in advance if the two airports have wifi (free or otherwise) via their websites.

Comment

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
                  If you have a smartphone
                  No, it's not a smartphone -- just a plain prepaid cell.
                  June 2013 -- broke up
                  August 2013 -- 2nd visit

Comment

7 Elevens sell prepaid sim cards, but that's probably not gonna help you if you're just using it in airport layovers.

Comment

Well the payphone is probably your best bet.. but if you want to you could always look into getting a cheap Canadian cell phone with a prepaid plan and your SO could work with you to get you the minutes before your visit.. it might be a bit complicated, but if your SO is willing to help you with it, it's another option. Though I'm pretty sure Canadian payphones are similar to US payphones so that should work good.. make sure you dial the number without the country code though since you'll be calling from Canada to Canada.. even though it seems obvious.. I remember when I flew to the UK for the first time, my phone didn't work (I thought it would work internationally since I bought a package for texting internationally.. but I guess that doesn't automatically activate it! lol.. ) and so I used a payphone and I wasted 2 pounds because I got flustered when I realized the numbers I had for him on my phone all had the international area code.. and I couldn't remember how UK phone numbers were structured. I'm sure this will be much much easier for you seeing as the USA has similar style phone numbers, but I just thought I'd share.. be sure you have his number written out exactly as you would call him from a Canadian payphone so you don't have to waste any time. But otherwise I'm sure it would work out great to use the payphone..

Comment

I've recently looked into this because I'm buying a phone from the USA to use in CR. Different phones work on different wavelengths. A Verizon phone can ONLY be used in the USA because of the wavelength it works on. Whereas phones by AT&T usually work on the GSM network and therefore work in any country that uses one of those 4 frequencies (850/900/1800/1900 MHz).

Anyways, look into what frequency your phone runs on and what types they use in Canada. For example here in CR they use 1800 MHz, so I had to make sure the phone I bought worked with that frequency. It's not about the provider, it's about how they made the phone. You should also make sure the phone is sold UNLOCKED.

Good luck.

Comment

Probably not Molly, thanks anyway.

Squeeker, than you for the info! I prolly would've dialed the whole thing! )

Thanks Lucybelle, I'll add that to my list!
                          Last edited by Benni; November 25, 2012, 02:08 PM.
                          June 2013 -- broke up
                          August 2013 -- 2nd visit

Comment

I can help you a bit with Pearson International (Toronto airport) will be known as YYZ (airport code) the rest of this post.

They have wifi so if you have a way to connect to it you can use skype if you bring your laptop, but certain places skype won't work as well as others try to find this symbol (as the wifi in those area's are the strongest) https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5317861_n.jpg

Payphone's at YYZ are hit and miss with coins they take, i've had some take US quarters and others that won't, so i'd advise you to make sure you have some Canadian quarters on you incase the payphone won't take US quarters.

Currency exchange places at YYZ don't give or take coins unless they are loonies/toonies, last time i was there i had to exchange some money and i only had coins and they told me sorry we stopped accepting coins due to the amount of time it takes to count them.

As for getting a cheap prepaid canadian phone, while it's a good idea to have in hindsight, most places will shut the phone off after so long of it not being used, so you'd have to add money to it regularly to keep the number and the phone active.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

But a pay as you go SIM card when your in Canada. I know Rogers has one but as a Canadian I can tell you our system is out of date.

Comment

Working...
                              X