Finding Balance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding Balance

It's crazy how long you can be in a relationship and still discover new things, changes and whatnot. I've been with my SO for a little over a year now, and I'm realizing now how much I'm putting on hold to be with him. Does anyone else ever notice this? I'm still getting my education, but much slower than normal, and I'm working two jobs to save money to see him. I only noticed today because I have a pretty nice job opportunity, but I'm going to see him for a month in March, so I don't know if I'll have to put that job off or not >.< Gah! Anyone ever feel the pressure from missing these opportunities? Maybe I feel it a little more because my parents are constantly chewing me out for something (boyfriend, mostly). I'm not exactly looking for advice, but if you wanna feel free! I just like to read other stories, so tell me how you balance your home life and your ldr? What compromises have you had to make?

I met my SO the beginning of my second year of high school so I gave up a ton there. Dances, double dates with friends, just being coupley on campus (the classic walking to classes together/enjoying school together). I've given up going out and doing fun things with friends because I save money for visits. I've given up 3 years of holidays and birthdays with a boyfriend and I've given up job opportunities because I knew that meant I'd only be able to talk to my SO like an hour a day.

But you know what? When I look at how happy my SO makes me I would give up anything just to be with him.

Notes:
    Met: 8.17.09
    Started Dating: 8.20.09
    First Met: 10.2.10
    Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

Living with my parents is the biggest compromise, honestly. If it weren't for him, I would have moved at least out of the house, most likely out of this town. I hate this town. I have to save up enough money in order to pay off my student loans though. I want to go to grad school or go back to school to pursue another field (still undecided on that) but I'm afraid to take on more debt and I need to make money in order to be with him. Stupid money.
      And yes, I feel the pressure too...time is ticking away and my life is only getting shorter and I'm getting older. I don't know what advice I can give you except try to not miss out on opportunities that come once in a lifetime or are rare and you can afford. Also, give yourself some down time. Go out every once in a while and have some fun.
      Last edited by eveningsky; November 27, 2012, 02:05 AM. Reason: Added a paragraph

Comment

I have given up graduating at the same time at all others, but it is so worth it for the opportunity to take a gap year with my SO before I continue at uni and it gives me time to study physics and work a bit. A lot of my savings have went for the travelling, but no money in the world could ever make me happier than seeing him. I have few job opportunities here but I'm lucky enough to have an occational job with the best, most flexible and generous boss ever and I might get another one like that. I don't get to go out much but on the other hand I don't like the one and only club my friends wants to go to, or clubs at all. I don't feel like I have given up on that much, not for the wonderful SO I gained (plus the oh-so-over-the-top grade in english )
        We part only to meet again ~ J.Gay

Comment

Working...
        X