Calling abroad.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by princessmeg1328 View Post
    One of my friends moved to England at the beginning of the year to be with her husband. In order to keep in touch with her family and friends, she got an international calling plan with O2 that lets her call the States. You get a specific number of minutes every month and a number for your US people to call you. It's a local (or long distance depending on where they live) number. Either way, it's a lot cheaper than them calling an international number. I think the plan she got is like 200 minutes for 10 pounds extra a month. I'm actually thinking of getting the same plan when I finally move to England to be with my husband.
    Yeah that's a bolt-on they have, it lets you pick 3 people to call, with 200 free mins for a landline or mobile. It's actually 3000 free mins for the States, hong kong,and 2 other countries. Im considering doing this every month to get 3000 mins to call my gf at anytime i want to.
    I'm unsure if to get the international sim too, but 3000 mins is ages!

Comment

If both of you have smart phones, get Whatsapp! It's an app where you can message each other for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Jango View Post
        Yeah that's a bolt-on they have, it lets you pick 3 people to call, with 200 free mins for a landline or mobile. It's actually 3000 free mins for the States, hong kong,and 2 other countries. Im considering doing this every month to get 3000 mins to call my gf at anytime i want to.
        That's what I would do then. An extra 10pounds a month and you get to call your SO basically whenever you want (and not really have to worry about going over your minutes)? It sounds more reasonable to me than having to buy a phone card and possibly using more than 10 pounds a month. I know if I were to call my mom and sister as much as I want, I would end up paying more than 10 pounds a month. That's just me though.
        "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
        Made it official: September 17, 2010
        Got engaged: January 15, 2012
        Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
        Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
        Got married: November 21, 2012
        Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
        Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Has anyone tried Magic Jack? I heard it has free international calling but I don't know much about it personally.

Comment

Download Viber like a previous poster said! It's an app on both iPhone and Android that lets you send messages and make calls to your loved ones through a wireless connection whether through your phones data plan or wifi! Get it! It's free and communication to your SO will cost you nothing. I've been using it. I prefer to use Kik Messenger instead of Viber's messaging though.

Comment

Lebara is a great service. When i was in Australia, i used lebara to call my SO. its actually a sim and you can get amazing rates at a cheap price. in my opinion its the best for the price you pay for it.

Comment

I use "whats app" for texting and skype and magic jack for calls. My partner is from Florida like me but is in Thailand for 5 months for work.

Comment

Originally posted by MattDavies86 View Post
                  Same here, I got myself an O2 pay as you go international simcard, costs me 3p/min to ring a mobile phone in Thailand, absolute livesaver!! (compared to orange £1.49/minute)
                  I've changed last month to a Lycamobile SIM and was lucky enough to catch one of their promotions called "Unlimited Value Pack" its £9.90 a month and includes UNLIMITED calls to Thailand (up to 3000min / 50 hours with the fair trade terms) but this is enough for me! Now I only have to spend £9.90 every month and save £90!! means more money for saving makes my life a little easy

Best thing with Lycamobile, offers like this come about all the time, they only stick around for a month or 2, but if you already activated the promotion, keep your credit topped up to the offer ammount (£9.90) then it Auto renews every month and you never loose this promotion! but if you cancel and the promotional period ended you can't get it back, so be wise

"Buddha made you for me" - My SO

1st Met/Visit: Nov 2012 - Thailand
                  2nd Visit: May 2013 - Thailand
                  3rd Visit: Jun 2013 - Thailand
                  4th Visit: Sep 2013 - Thailand
                  5th Visit: Sep 2013 - Jan 2014 - UK
                  6th Visit: Apr 2014 - Thailand - Marry
                  7th Visit: Sept 14th 2014 - Thailand - Wedding Ceremony / Party
                  Close the distance - Sept 21st 2014 - UK
                  UK Wedding Party: November 8th 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Jango View Post
                    I use International favourties which is the plan youre talking about to talk to my SO in Canada, wouldnt be without it. Brilliant plan and we speak for hours at the weekend and ive never ran out of minutes on it in the 2 years ive used it. they also give you a number local to whoever you want to call you so they dont get charged international rate either.
                    As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

Originally posted by leonsfangirl View Post
                      I use International favourties which is the plan youre talking about to talk to my SO in Canada, wouldnt be without it. Brilliant plan and we speak for hours at the weekend and ive never ran out of minutes on it in the 2 years ive used it. they also give you a number local to whoever you want to call you so they dont get charged international rate either.
                      I use international favourites too, it's a brilliant plan!

Comment

Working...
                      X