Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flying to Canada from UK then entering US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying to Canada from UK then entering US?

Hi all. Trying to plan how best to get out to see my SO at Easter. He'll be living in Washington State, very close to the Canadian border. Flights from London to Seattle and Bellingham are pretty expensive, and the routes are pretty long-winded.

I just searched for flights to Vancouver, which is only an hour's drive away from where he'll be, and they're cheaper and quicker.

Question is: How would immigration work here? I'd go through immigration in Canada, but my ultimate destination is in the US. Presumably I'd have to go through some kind of immigration process at the US/Canada border too, and then again to go back via Canada. Is this even possible? Is this more hassle than it's worth?

Any advice gratefully received.
    London girl, American cowboy. "Like a western Dirty Dancing."

If your flights are connected, you would go into the transit area at Vancouver airport (without going through Canadian customs), then get onto your flight to Seattle.

If not, you will need to go through customs, enter Canada then check in for your flight and go through security again. You shouldn't have any trouble entering Canada, especially if it is only to get onto another flight to the US.

Depending on which option you need to do, you would have to do the same thing when you leave to return to the UK.

Comment

Yes, you'll go through immigration at the Canadian/US border. I've been back and forth once at that border, depending on what time of day/day of the week you may have to wait in your car in line for a bit. But I don't think it's any more of a hassle than going through airport immigration.

Comment

*edit* Oops, posted too soon!

Thanks mllebamako for your info.
        Last edited by Lovebee; January 13, 2013, 07:40 AM.
        London girl, American cowboy. "Like a western Dirty Dancing."

Comment

Working...
        X