Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few packing problems: need some help, 20 days away!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few packing problems: need some help, 20 days away!

Okay, so my flight is like 16 hours or something altogether. I was going to wear sweats from America to Paris basically, then get all prettied-up there. I was wondering, in my carryon (since that is what i will have with me) what should i pack to get ready?
    Example; toothbrush, deodorant, phone, extra change of clothes, what else?!

Thanks!
    Us: Saleana & Jason
    Ages: 18 & 19
    Met Online: June 14, 2010
    His Feelings Started for me: June 14, 2010
    My Feelings Started for him: July 6, 2010
    First "I love you": January 17, 2012
    "Officially together": February 1, 2012
    Met First Time: HOPEFULLY March 14, 2013 (already booked the flight)
    Closing the distance: No Idea

I brought baby wipes to wipe down with. And face cleanser.

Met online: 1/30/11
    Met in person: 5/30/12
    Second visit: 9/12/12
    Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

Don't forget a comb/brush!
      Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
      Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
      Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

I'm not sure if this is correct, but if you go through security don't you have to have any cosmestics, deodrants, liquids in a small plastic bag. And don't they have to be under a certain ml....like 100ml? I'm not entirely sure, but this is what I do everytime I travel to the U.S....It might vary from country to country but since 9/11 security measures were stepped up.......

Other than that..I would take baby wipes, a small container of moisturiser because you get so dehydrated on the flight, perfume...small bottle of course...Lol

Started Writing - February 2010
        First Visit - September 2010
        Second Visit - June 2011
        Third Visit & His Release Date - February 2012
        Our Wedding Day - April 2012
        Submitted I-130 Visa Application - July 2012
        NOA1 - July 2012
        NOA2 - December 2012
        Fourth Visit - December 2012
        Closing The Distance - Watch this space

Comment

Originally posted by Oldblighty View Post
          I'm not sure if this is correct, but if you go through security don't you have to have any cosmestics, deodrants, liquids in a small plastic bag. And don't they have to be under a certain ml....like 100ml? I'm not entirely sure, but this is what I do everytime I travel to the U.S....It might vary from country to country but since 9/11 security measures were stepped up.......

Other than that..I would take baby wipes, a small container of moisturiser because you get so dehydrated on the flight, perfume...small bottle of course...Lol
          Most cosmetics and deoderants, as long as they're solids, are okay. Liquid things are best to pack in your checked bag since they can be very confusing.
          Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
          Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
          Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Lip gloss or what ever you use ..... Make sure those lips of yours are extra kissable

Comment

If you regularly take any medications, pack them in your caryon so if you're checked bag gets lost, you won't miss any doses.

Comment

If you're going to wear make up go with the bare minimum (all natural) sort of look. You wont have to worry about how much you will be able to fit into your carry on and you wont have to worry so much about what you can or cannot take. Bring foundation or a concealer, eye liner and/or mascara and a thing or lip gloss or lip stick. Also, like others said baby wipes to freshen up and a brush/comb. The things you listed are good too. If you can manage a small thing of perfume or body spray in your liquids bag then do that too.

Met Online: 02/2012
                Started talking privately: 09/20/2012
                First Met in person: 09/22/2012
                Started Dating: 10/30/2012
                Closed the Distance 4/24/2013

Comment

Do all the liquids have to go in your checked bags? I ask because I read that you're allowed limits of 100ml bottles of stuff but they all have to be in a clear plastic resealable case. I want to take one of the 100ml bottles I have with perfume, and I was going to stick my concealer and lip gloss, deodorant etc in there, and just keep the case in my carry on bag, is that alright or does it need to go in with my checked stuff?
                  I read that if you have it in your carry on bag and they ask if you have any liquids you just take out the case and they scan it and give it back. Is that right?

I suggest taking a compact mirror, too, obviously
                  Last edited by louisekerry; February 22, 2013, 08:32 PM.

Comment

A quick google search of Heathrow's website offered the following info:
                    The following restrictions apply to all liquids, creams, gels, pastes and aerosols taken through security control:
                    Liquids may only be carried in containers holding 100ml or less.
                    They must be carried separately in a single bag which is:
                    Transparent and resealable
                    No larger than 20cm x 20cm (8in x 8in)
                    Able to close properly with all the items inside.
                    At security control, place the bag in the tray with your other items.
                    Liquids in containers over 100ml will not be permitted through security – please pack them in your hold baggage instead.
                    The following exceptions may be made to the 100ml rule:
                    Baby food or baby milk: This exception is only permitted if you are travelling with a baby or infant. Please carry only what you need for the flight. You will be asked to open the containers and taste the contents. If you are not travelling with a baby or infant, excess liquids should be carried as hold luggage. You may also wish to take advantage of our pre-order service for collection after security by calling us on 0800 678 5324 or email us.
                    Liquid medicines: You are only permitted to carry quantities of liquid medication in excess of your personal liquid allowance where it is needed during the course of your flight. All medication should be accompanied by documentary proof of authenticity, such as a prescription or letter from a medical practitioner confirming that you need them for your journey. Liquid medication that is not required on the flight should be carried as hold luggage. Find out more about travelling with medicines.
                    Explosive or flammable liquids, and those that are considered toxic, are not permitted in either hand or hold luggage.

You probably want to double check with the website of the airport you are traveling through or the department/agency in your country that regulates airport security protocol. In the US, it's the TSA.

You can also contact the airline as well.

Comment

Originally posted by loneliestgirl View Post
                      A quick google search of Heathrow's website offered the following info:
                      The following restrictions apply to all liquids, creams, gels, pastes and aerosols taken through security control:
                      Liquids may only be carried in containers holding 100ml or less.
                      They must be carried separately in a single bag which is:
                      Transparent and resealable
                      No larger than 20cm x 20cm (8in x 8in)
                      Able to close properly with all the items inside.
                      At security control, place the bag in the tray with your other items.
                      Liquids in containers over 100ml will not be permitted through security – please pack them in your hold baggage instead.
                      The following exceptions may be made to the 100ml rule:
                      Baby food or baby milk: This exception is only permitted if you are travelling with a baby or infant. Please carry only what you need for the flight. You will be asked to open the containers and taste the contents. If you are not travelling with a baby or infant, excess liquids should be carried as hold luggage. You may also wish to take advantage of our pre-order service for collection after security by calling us on 0800 678 5324 or email us.
                      Liquid medicines: You are only permitted to carry quantities of liquid medication in excess of your personal liquid allowance where it is needed during the course of your flight. All medication should be accompanied by documentary proof of authenticity, such as a prescription or letter from a medical practitioner confirming that you need them for your journey. Liquid medication that is not required on the flight should be carried as hold luggage. Find out more about travelling with medicines.
                      Explosive or flammable liquids, and those that are considered toxic, are not permitted in either hand or hold luggage.

You probably want to double check with the website of the airport you are traveling through or the department/agency in your country that regulates airport security protocol. In the US, it's the TSA.

You can also contact the airline as well.
                      this is the standard rule. When flying an international flight I would stick to the above rules that Loneliestgirl posted, ESPECIALLY because you are travelling between different countries/with a stop over.. I wouldn't even bother checking with the TSA because you are flying/going through security in countries not regulated by the TSA.. the airline guidelines on the website for international flights would be the safest ones to follow, but even then Loneliestgirl has already posted the rules.. so you don't even really need to bother with that either.

When I fly I take the minimum amount of liquids/aerosols/gels that I can in my carry on, it's not worth it to take a bunch, it's heavy and I don't 'need' all those things, plus you can't really fit very much into ONE of those clear zip-lock bags anyway. Also, I would hate to have something important to me taken away at security because it didn't comply.

I just take some lipbalm to keep my lips from cracking, a mini toothpaste, a travel size roll-on deoderant (not flamable like the aerosol ones) and maybe a small concealer stick.. My SO knows I've been on a hell long flight, he loves me and I had to fly all that way to see him, he can damn well pick me up from the airport without me looking perfect.
                      Last edited by Jazi; February 23, 2013, 04:31 AM.
                      Met Online: February 2009
                      Feelings grew: January 2011
                      First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
                      Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
                      Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
                      Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
                      Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
                      Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
                      Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
                      Engaged: 1st of July 2012
                      Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
                      Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
                      Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
                      Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
                      Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
                      Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

I agree with Jazi, I would just follow the guidelines that are on the websites of the airports that you will travel through. The use of a single 1L clear bag and 100mL limits on liquids are a global standard though. When you go through security, you just put the clear bag on a tray and it gets scanned. The customs officer will probably check the sizes of anything in the bag, but it only takes a few seconds.

Also remember that you cannot take aerosols onto an international flight, so you need to use roll-on deodorant.

Comment

I've called all my airline supporters about regulations and rules, this post was just to ask what you think I may need to bring. But thanks everyone for the ideas
                          Us: Saleana & Jason
                          Ages: 18 & 19
                          Met Online: June 14, 2010
                          His Feelings Started for me: June 14, 2010
                          My Feelings Started for him: July 6, 2010
                          First "I love you": January 17, 2012
                          "Officially together": February 1, 2012
                          Met First Time: HOPEFULLY March 14, 2013 (already booked the flight)
                          Closing the distance: No Idea

Comment

This is what I usually take in my carry on: an extra outfit, deodorant, face wash, face toner, moisturizer, perfume, make up, lotion, hairbrush, toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, hair ties, prescription medicine, jewelry, undergarments, things to entertain me, snacks (in case you don't like the food) and anything else I might need right away. I usually pack as many undergarments in my carry on as possible because one time the airline lost my luggage. It sucks to be without some of those things for over a week.

It also depends on where you're going. My husband lives in England so I've also packed a scarf, gloves, and a hat into my carry on.

The clear plastic bag everybody was talking about needs to be a quart sized bag. All liquids need to be under 100 ml. That includes mascara and lip gloss but not eyeshadow or powder foundation or deodorant if it's a solid stick. If it's an aerosol or liquid roll on, that'll need to go in your plastic bag. Anything gel-like also needs to go in the clear bag. You'll be surprised what you can fit in it.

Also, don't forget that you can take a second carry on bag. I usually take a backpack or a similar sized bag. It just needs to be able to fit under the seat in front of you. I also take my big coat on the plane with me.
                            "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
                            Made it official: September 17, 2010
                            Got engaged: January 15, 2012
                            Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
                            Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
                            Got married: November 21, 2012
                            Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
                            Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Working...
                            X