This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should have known.

My SO just pretty much broke it off with me today because of the situation with my mother. Also, he is frustrated by the distance. So he wants us to slow down in speaking. Well I'm curious, why is it that while I'm over here frustrated as can be that I can't be with the man of my dreams, yet I don't give up, but he is frustrated, so things just have to stop. I'm hurting so much.
    I should have known we were too good to be true.
    Last edited by ImInLoveWithAnEnglishman; March 7, 2013, 07:37 PM.

I don't think you've really taken in what you've been told by a lot of posters - there's no reason why you can't slow it down. Your SO is 6 years older than you, and he may be realising how much you'll both miss out on while you're trying to wait around to see each other.

I think it's clear that he is older, and more mature - he's not said he never wants to be with you, he's said that he wants things to go slower, and I see where he's coming from when he's saying frustrated about the distance. You guys haven't met yet, and you're both young, and spending a year and a half being frustrated that you've not met, and not knowing whether your online relationship reflects what you'll be like together in person is quite a big risk to take. And do you really want to spend the next year and a half waiting for someone that it might not work out with? Taking a back seat when you haven't met yet is not preventing you from being together in the future, it's preventing you from putting all your eggs in one basket before you can be more sure about each other. I also think that the fact that your Mum is involved has probably highlighted to him how much younger you are than him, and that might've shocked him a bit more into thinking that maybe you're not quite on the same page as him yet.

I think you're trying to rush into all this, you really need to back off and listen to what your SO is saying. And listen to what people here are saying, because a lot of people HAVE had to wait to meet their SOs, and you could benefit from talking to people who met their SOs online and how they've had to deal with the things you are dealing with now.

The bottom line is that you can't MAKE your SO be with you. And you haven't met yet. And there are people who can make their relationship work before they meet, but those people are the exception, not the rule. If your SO seems to think that taking it all as it comes and not rushing into a relationship is the best thing for you both, maybe you should listen to him rather than fight him on it. If you value his opinion, don't you think there's a chance he's doing the right thing?

Comment

To be honest, slowing down the conversation probably isn't a bad idea. It'll give both of you time and space to figure out things properly, and your mother to work through her feelings. And lets face it, your relationship hasn't been that long, and I know for myself I couldn't call what I had with my SO a relationship before we actually had met (twice, actually...) Yeah, it hurts, but if it's already too hard for one of you it's probably best to remain friends atleast until you have set a date to meet.
      This is just my view of the situation, as you've described it in your threads. Hope you feel better soon.
      We part only to meet again ~ J.Gay

Comment

Honestly I don't know how you can claim this guy is the man of your dreams when your info says you've only been dating 5 days. Were you really really close friends before that?

Anyway I think you're moving way too fast, slowing down communication is probably for the best.

Notes:
        Met: 8.17.09
        Started Dating: 8.20.09
        First Met: 10.2.10
        Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

Working...
        X