Schengen Plan and 90 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schengen Plan and 90 days

Hi everyone. My SO and I are wanting to order tickets, but we realized we had forgotten about the 90 day rule. We're not sure how this works exactly. We are planning on me arriving in Sweden around the 24th of May and leaving around August 10th. However, my last visit was December 11 until January 12, but, on April 12th (a couple of weeks away), I'll have been out of Sweden for 90 days. The question I'm asking is, does anyone know if my last visit will be included in the 90 days for this next visit since, by the time I get there, I'll have been out of the country for 3.5 months.
    sigpic

To read our love story, click here.

How it works is that you can stay for 90 days every 180 days. In my experience, they have checked my last visit into the Schengen Zone and counted 180 days from then.

At the 180 day point from the first entry (no matter if you stay in the SZ for 1 day or 98), the quota will reset and you can stay for another 90 days, no matter how many times you come and go.

EDIT: Can you just wait 20 or so days and fly then?
    Last edited by Tooki; March 31, 2013, 10:23 PM.

Comment

May 24th is only 160 something days since December 11th if I counted correctly.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kria View Post
        May 24th is only 160 something days since December 11th if I counted correctly.

I have heard conflicting information on that topic, such that it seems that it comes down to the discretion of the Immigration Officer who lets you into the SZ. Can you just apply for a 6 Month National Visa for Sweden?

(Link = https://www.swedenabroad.com/en-GB/E...ng-stay-visa/#. Ignore the Shanghai part, you can just select a US embassy or go for a short trip to a consulate in another European country and get it done there once you get into Europe (I did this without any issues)

Comment

In all honesty, I'm not sure. I haven't checked that yet. I read that as long as I was out of the country for 90 days I could enter again for another 90, but either that wasn't true or it doesn't work for the SZ countries.
          sigpic

Comment

In all honesty, I'm not sure. I haven't checked that yet. I read that as long as I was out of the country for 90 days I could enter again for another 90, but either that wasn't true or it doesn't work for the SZ countries.
            What I know for certain is that one can only be in the SZ for 90 days out of 180 days, irrespective of how often you go in or out of the SZ.

Comment

Alright. Thanks Tooki.
              sigpic

Comment

I live and breathe around Schengen. You are allowed in the Schengen territory for up to 90 days every 180 days and then you must stay out for another 90 days before allowed back in. I go to NL every 95 days or so and I make a point to leave by the 88th day or so. I also create bumpers by a few days on each end and getting ready for 4th trip over there in June.

The only problem I had with border control was about the financial means I was using for my 88 day visit. I am planning to fly into Belgium next time and drive the extra 40 min to get to my destination with my SO in NL. I have been told Belgium is more laid back compared to how strict NL is.

https://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_.../cis_4361.html
                Last edited by Hollandia; April 1, 2013, 12:09 AM.
                "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                Benjamin Franklin

Comment

So that brings me to another question. I came home on January 12th and haven't been back since. If I wait until June 9th (which will be the 181st day since Dec. 11) will I have to wait 90 days from then or will I be able to go back from that day on for my next 90 days? I hope that made sense. I'm sorry this Schengen Plan just really confuses me.
                  sigpic

Comment

So that brings me to another question. I came home on January 12th and haven't been back since. If I wait until June 9th (which will be the 181st day since Dec. 11) will I have to wait 90 days from then or will I be able to go back from that day on for my next 90 days? I hope that made sense. I'm sorry this Schengen Plan just really confuses me.
                    No, you can stay in the SZ for up to 90 days.

Comment

Thank you again.
                      sigpic

Comment

Alright. This is just an update. My SO called the Swedish Immigration Board and asked them how it worked. Since I've been out of the country for 90 days, I can go back for 90 days. We finally understand this now, haha. Thanks everyone for all of your help!!
                        sigpic

Comment

Just keep in mind that other countries probably perceive it differently (Welcome to the joys of the EU). Certain countries are more lax than others (I know that France is very very lazy)

Nonetheless, enjoy!

Comment

If they follow the written Schengen agreement, It is very simple.... from your date of first entry into the Schengen area you have 90 days allowed in during the 180 time period. Once the days is up you cannot return until that 180 time period is up. Once you have reached the end the 181 day, the cycle begins again. When you return to Schengen area, your count of 90 days start again. These 90 days do not need to be consecutive. The original start point of first entry does not change for each 180 period.

It is true that some countries such as France and Italy are said to be more lax. Greece actually was found to be too lax by the Schengen nations and risked the chance of remaining a part of Schengen.

I am getting ready to go back for my fourth trip to Schengen and 3 of them were for 88-89 days. I suggest bumpers of a few days on each side and then you should be well within the law. Please note, the border control agents still have a right to question you and ultimately decide if you are allowed entry. The more times you come, the more they find the trips suspect. I was almost not allowed in on my last trip. I won't be landing in Rotterdam anytime soon again. I have asked my BF to write a "letter of invitation" to state I have a place to reside for length of stay for free to help prove sufficient funds. I am indeed quite nervous about it. I have been told the more others overstay the harder it will get on those of us that do not. I am thinking of landing in surrounding countries instead and hope that helps.
                            Last edited by Hollandia; April 5, 2013, 08:30 PM.
                            "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Yes, but we contacted the Swedish Immigration Board and they told us if I was out of the country for 90 days, I could return for another 90 days. I'm pretty sure that their border control will go by that rule too. Otherwise, why would the Immigration Board tell us that? It would be redundant. With that said, I don't believe that I will have any difficulty getting into the country.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X