Green cards, visas, and other things that confuse me greatly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Green cards, visas, and other things that confuse me greatly

Hello! This has probably been asked a million times before but anyone with experience in UK-USA marriages, I need your help!

I plan on marrying my boyfriend in late July of this year. We are going to get married in England. However, I live in the USA and will be attending college here this fall. He is willing to move at the start of my school year, but I'm wondering how long it will take to process green cards, visas, and all that jazz!

www.visajourney.com

Good luck

Comment

Aw thank you!

Comment

Someone referred me to visajourney dot com the other day, and it looks like it's going to be a helpful place for us to start this process. Hopefully it will answer some questions for you. Good luck!!

Comment

For you to marry in the UK it requires a visa: https://www.usembassy.org.uk/americanservices/?p=288

Comment

I wish you the best of luck, I thought I would be able to offer some advice because my SO and I have talked about marriage and him moving to the UK, but it's the other way round and I have no idea about US immigration...so good luck and I hope it all works out for you!
            Joey & Scott
            Met: April 2002
            Lost Contact: August 2002
            Reconnected: April 2010
            Together: May 20th 2010

[COLOR="#800080"]"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Firstly, definitely go check out visajourney. They can be immensely helpful for all your visa and immigration questions.

Secondly, since your SO is in the UK, which is a "friendly" first-world country to the US, your SO can come to the states temporarily on the visa waiver program. Make sure you look up the requirements for that, but basically it means he doesn't need to get a visa (he does have to fill out some forms, though). This is only a temporary solution, though-- if you are looking to permanently close the distance, the IR1/CR1 visa is for you, since you should be married by the time he moves, yes? This is the immigrant spouse visa, which you can see more information about here. Start preparing now, because these things take months to finish and process.

One thing I don't know is whether you need to be married at the time the request is submitted. That has the potential to put a damper on your plans.
              Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
              Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
              Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

I know for a fiancée visa it takes about a mnth for them to process it, Bcus im going through that process right now.
                For the schooling and such like im not sure but id check the UKBA website it will have all the info u need.

Good luck!

Comment

My SO and I are doing Fiancee visas now! cause I've read some cases of it taking months..I'm hoping to have him here by August, we should marry a month after that or so. Then again were just having a tiny thing and signing the papers..no big deal, so you may be more time restricted so start early!

Good luck!
                  And share visa info when you start?
                  Be nice to know what were about to be going through as well XD

Comment

Originally posted by ashleyxloves View Post
                    My SO and I are doing Fiancee visas now! cause I've read some cases of it taking months..I'm hoping to have him here by August, we should marry a month after that or so. Then again were just having a tiny thing and signing the papers..no big deal, so you may be more time restricted so start early!

Good luck!
                    And share visa info when you start?
                    Be nice to know what were about to be going through as well XD
                    Umm the K1 visa will take longer than 4 months if you expect him to be in the US by then, for most it seems to be around 8 to 10 months

Comment

My SO is also from Newcastle just thought I'd say I'm also going there in July.
                      Us: Saleana & Jason
                      Ages: 18 & 19
                      Met Online: June 14, 2010
                      His Feelings Started for me: June 14, 2010
                      My Feelings Started for him: July 6, 2010
                      First "I love you": January 17, 2012
                      "Officially together": February 1, 2012
                      Met First Time: HOPEFULLY March 14, 2013 (already booked the flight)
                      Closing the distance: No Idea

Comment

Working...
                      X