LAX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LAX

Hi there I am wondering if anyone has some information for me so I can stop worrying about this, as it's my first overseas travel on my own I am probably over thinking and worrying about very insignificant things lol
    My SO booked my flights from Sydney Australia to Los Angeles and transit there to Atlanta, he thinking he was doing the right thing made it the least possible time to wait so I have 2 hours and 15 minutes.
    My itinerary says I land in terminal 5 (with Delta) and I fly out for Atlanta from terminal 5 (delta again)
    My question is......is this the same terminal in the international airport? Do I need to go through customs and get back to the terminal? And if so will the 2 hours and 15 minutes be enough time?
    I know I can just wait till I am at Sydney airport and ask all these questions at the Delta check in but I'm the type of person that likes to know what will happen so I can be calm.
    I hope all of that made sense lol
    ​Yesterday, today, tomorrow and forever

I'm thinking it is the same terminal as Delta doesn't fly into Tom Bradley. But I'm not positive. However, either way you'll still have to go trough customs, get your bags, and make your way to your next flight. I think the space of time is cutting it close. It is possible assuming everything goes smoothly, but if you're delayed at all it could screw you up. I would definitely call the airline and check and get their recommendations.

Met online: 1/30/11
    Met in person: 5/30/12
    Second visit: 9/12/12
    Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

I don't know LAX very well, but due to customs/immigration, it is quite possible you will miss your flight to Atlanta. My most recent flight into the USA went through Newark and I had about 3 hours. I missed my connecting flight because immigration took so long (and I'm a US citizen meaning the line wasn't nearly as long as the non-citizen line). I missed my direct flight (which I guess is only once a day) and had to take a detour through Atlanta.

I would call the airline and see if you can change the 2nd flight. But also remember that if you miss the 2nd one, they'll rebook you for free on a later flight.

Comment

Originally posted by mllebamako View Post
        I don't know LAX very well, but due to customs/immigration, it is quite possible you will miss your flight to Atlanta. My most recent flight into the USA went through Newark and I had about 3 hours. I missed my connecting flight because immigration took so long (and I'm a US citizen meaning the line wasn't nearly as long as the non-citizen line). I missed my direct flight (which I guess is only once a day) and had to take a detour through Atlanta.

I would call the airline and see if you can change the 2nd flight. But also remember that if you miss the 2nd one, they'll rebook you for free on a later flight.
        Thank you so much, I have kept worrying about it and my SO was like an excited puppy thinking he had done so well and surprised me with the tickets

Comment

Hi I fly with Delta through LAX quite frequently from Sydney as a stop over to visit my bf in Memphis (went four times last year and am going again in two weeks May 6).

Even though both flights are Delta you have to go through customs and collect your bags no matter what even though your bags have your tags on it for your final destination. What happens is that you go through customs first, then once you collect your bags and make it through another check point (the check point after the carousel is just pretty much viewing your passport) you go through double doors. On your left hand side as soon as you exist those doors from the carousel area there is a customer service desk if you have any questions but if you look to your right there is a small delta desk that is for delta passengers coming off an international flight and with a delta domestic flight.

It can go either way, once I made it through customs in 45 mins, other times took me an hour and a half. It is possible but time will be tight. The delta desk to your right is a great help as it makes it quick after collecting your bags - make sure you look to your right though. Once I was directed to go up the stairs and check in at the delta check in counters which is WRONG - you don't need to do that as you are already checked in, you just need to drop your bag off at the small counter across from the customer service desk.

It is the same terminal however it is quite large, you need to go up a two sets of stairs and pass through a check point and then you're in the terminal (has a food court with mcdonalds etc). Worst case scenario if you get there too late Delta are really good about putting people on to the next flight. Different story if you say flew in on american airlines and missed a delta connecting flight, but because you've flown in with them they realise it's "their fault" and do their best to get you on to the next flight
          Last edited by .:*Shaunna*:.; April 20, 2013, 07:43 PM.
          ~Shaunna~

*Distance isn't an obstacle when it comes to love, but rather a great reminder on just how strong true love can be*

We're engaged 2014 - save $$, 2015 - get married, 2016 - make the big move!

Comment

Originally posted by .:*Shaunna*:. View Post
            Hi I fly with Delta through LAX quite frequently from Sydney as a stop over to visit my bf in Memphis (went four times last year and am going again in two weeks May 6).

Even though both flights are Delta you have to go through customs and collect your bags no matter what even though your bags have your tags on it for your final destination. What happens is that you go through customs first, then once you collect your bags and make it through another check point (the check point after the carousel is just pretty much viewing your passport) you go through double doors. On your left hand side as soon as you exist those doors from the carousel area there is a customer service desk if you have any questions but if you look to your right there is a small delta desk that is for delta passengers coming off an international flight and with a delta domestic flight.

It can go either way, once I made it through customs in 45 mins, other times took me an hour and a half. It is possible but time will be tight. The delta desk to your right is a great help as it makes it quick after collecting your bags - make sure you look to your right though. Once I was directed to go up the stairs and check in at the delta check in counters which is WRONG - you don't need to do that as you are already checked in, you just need to drop your bag off at the small counter across from the customer service desk.

It is the same terminal however it is quite large, you need to go up a two sets of stairs and pass through a check point and then you're in the terminal (has a food court with mcdonalds etc). Worst case scenario if you get there too late Delta are really good about putting people on to the next flight. Different story if you say flew in on american airlines and missed a delta connecting flight, but because you've flown in with them they realise it's "their fault" and do their best to get you on to the next flight
            That is fantastic!! Thank you so much......it's been bothering me since he booked the flights.

Comment

You'll be more than fine

Also one thing on the flight they hand out the passenger cards- providing you have your ESTA visa all you need to fill out is an incoming passenger card. 2 of the 4 times I must have been on a flight with new air hostesses because they kept trying to hand me a white Visa Immigrant form to fill in as well. If you have an ESTA visa you DONT fill this out, don't listen to them if they try and tell you otherwise. You just need your passport and the incoming passenger card. I always bring a copy of my esta visa just incase but they have never asked to see a copy as they'd obviously be able to tell by scanning the passport

Another tip although obvious, if you need to change over money either do it at a travel agent before going to the sydney international or buy it online and pick up at the airport - costs more if you change over AUD money there. Is this your first trip to the states? If so I recommend (now I guess it depends on the area) but I found when I change money over ask if they try and avoid giving $100 notes as little as possible as I found when travelling through America a lot of stores wouldn't take $100 notes
              Last edited by .:*Shaunna*:.; April 20, 2013, 08:12 PM.
              ~Shaunna~

*Distance isn't an obstacle when it comes to love, but rather a great reminder on just how strong true love can be*

Comment

Originally posted by .:*Shaunna*:. View Post
                You'll be more than fine

Also one thing on the flight they hand out the passenger cards- providing you have your ESTA visa all you need to fill out is an incoming passenger card. 2 of the 4 times I must have been on a flight with new air hostesses because they kept trying to hand me a white Visa Immigrant form to fill in as well. If you have an ESTA visa you DONT fill this out, don't listen to them if they try and tell you otherwise. You just need your passport and the incoming passenger card. I always bring a copy of my esta visa just incase but they have never asked to see a copy as they'd obviously be able to tell by scanning the passport

Another tip although obvious, if you need to change over money either do it at a travel agent before going to the sydney international or buy it online and pick up at the airport - costs more if you change over AUD money there. Is this your first trip to the states? If so I recommend (now I guess it depends on the area) but I found when I change money over ask if they try and avoid giving $100 notes as little as possible as I found when travelling through America a lot of stores wouldn't take $100 notes
                Yes first time to America and first time traveling on my own so with that and meeting my SO for the first time I will be just about wetting my pants in terror by the time I get there lol

Comment

Also to note, the LAX website actually has a map of all the terminals and what is where. That should help as well =D I'll be doing the trip myself in 3 days haha. Nervous as shit. Specially since I have to go from brissy to sydney first -_-

Comment

Originally posted by LilyChiba View Post
                    Also to note, the LAX website actually has a map of all the terminals and what is where. That should help as well =D I'll be doing the trip myself in 3 days haha. Nervous as shit. Specially since I have to go from brissy to sydney first -_-
                    Oh you lucky thing!!! 3 days woohoo I am envious I still have 89 to go and I am already nervous lol

Comment

Originally posted by LilyChiba View Post
                      Good luck if you need to transfer from the domestic terminal in Sydney to the international terminal .

Comment

Unfortunately do.

Comment

Transfer between the two is really easy Are you flying Virgin? If so when you go to check in at the Brisbane airport let them know that you have an international connecting flight in Sydney then they will give you a red token so that you don't have to pay for the bus. Sometimes the token is by itself other times they might hand you a red pamphlet of the sydney airport, the token is a tear off one on the bottom of the back page.

When you land at the Sydney domestic airport, go down to the bottom floor and exit, cross the taxi lane as if you are going over to the hire cars but then turn right - the waiting area for the 'T Bus' is on the verge of that second lane. They usually come every twenty minutes or so and it's free if you have that token otherwise I think it's about $5 - you can tell I have done this too many times hahaha I fly in from Perth to Sydney
                          ~Shaunna~

Comment

Haha but it certainly helps to actually have the advice of someone who has done it many times before. I appreciate it. It was part of the trip I was actually dreading. =D Thanks for the info. And yeah, virgin, I read about the free bus thing and wasn't sure how to get it. I'll be sure to ask now!

Comment

That's why I love flying out of Melbourne airport . The whole airport is connected.

I have transferred terminals before. As Shaunna said, it's not too difficult. It's just a major inconvenience .

Comment

Working...
                              X