Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agh! A bump in the road!

Hi Everyone

I know most of you know that my SO and I have started the visa process, with the hope to submit my August and him be here before Christmas. Well, the best laid plans and all that, and we've hit a bump in the road.

Last night when I spoke to him, we'd both had crappy days, but he needed to get his car fixed (he plans to make some money for coming here by selling it and also he needs it while he's there) and it's gonna wipe out a lot of his savings. So, now he's gonna have to start pretty much from scratch...he sent me a text last night/this morning saying it came to over $900

I have some money to pay for the first visa, but not enough to do his flight and the next visa and since he won't be working until he gets the spousal visa, it means we have to wait until he has a bit more in savings. We're both really frustrated. I was talking with him, telling him that it's not something that *has* to happen by August otherwise it won't happen at all, that it will happen when it does, but he hates the distance, so very much. (Don't we all!)

So, he was a bit down and I'd had a crappy day as well and it just..ugh, could have not come at a worse day. I know we'll get there in the end and I know he'll come here, but it's just more hassle than we need.

Just wanted to vent, thanks for reading!
    Joey & Scott
    Met: April 2002
    Lost Contact: August 2002
    Reconnected: April 2010
    Together: May 20th 2010

[COLOR="#800080"]"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." Benjamin Franklin

know excatly what you mean! had to take the dog to the vet this morning, it wasnt much but it takes me two weeks to save it up pfff
    hope your in a bit of luck soon!

Comment

Aww thats sad to know I dont have anything to say but sending *hugs* your way. It will get better hang in there.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonlady View Post
        know excatly what you mean! had to take the dog to the vet this morning, it wasnt much but it takes me two weeks to save it up pfff
        hope your in a bit of luck soon!
        Thanks, sorry to hear you had similar problems...it seems like sometimes we can't catch a break!

Originally posted by SeeRat View Post
        Aww thats sad to know I dont have anything to say but sending *hugs* your way. It will get better hang in there.
        Thanks for the *hugs* they are appreciated
        Joey & Scott

[COLOR="#800080"]"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Oh no, how disappointing! Hopefully it's only a minor setback, and if you're going to spend the rest of your lives together, in the grand scheme of things a few months more isn't too bad (although I appreciate it doesn't feel like that when you're going through it!). I know what it's like, a couple of months ago we thought we'd hit a similar bump to do with my SO's house and mortgage, thankfully it worked out in the end, but those few days where our plans were all up in the air were horrible, so have some more *hugs*!

Comment

I'm really sorry I can imagine how incredibly frustrating that must be. I really hope you guys catch a break.

Comment

sorry to hear this, just keep in mind the bigger picture

can I ask you a question about the process? do you know how many times you'd be expected to have met each other in person before starting?

Comment

Originally posted by 80anthea View Post
                sorry to hear this, just keep in mind the bigger picture

can I ask you a question about the process? do you know how many times you'd be expected to have met each other in person before starting?
                Sure! The rules state that you must have met in person at least once. They also mention that you need to have spent time with each other in your countries, and it mentions about having had contact with their family. Though I think that's only if they feel it's a dodgy marriage i.e a sham or something. The only rule I've been told that they stick to is that you've met in person at least once.

There is a great forum for people looking to get visas and move from USA to the UK: www.uk-yankee.com

They have been GREAT! They've helped me and Scott find out what can help our case and gather the right documentation, like support letters from my family (and his) that we're a real couple looking to get married. They are very knowledgeable about the whole visa process - all visas, not just fiancé and spousal, but work and other ones too. They have been very helpful for me and Scott and if it's something you're looking to do (either now or in the future) I really recommend getting their advice.

Hope that helps!
                Joey & Scott

Comment

Originally posted by kattermole View Post
                  Oh no, how disappointing! Hopefully it's only a minor setback, and if you're going to spend the rest of your lives together, in the grand scheme of things a few months more isn't too bad (although I appreciate it doesn't feel like that when you're going through it!). I know what it's like, a couple of months ago we thought we'd hit a similar bump to do with my SO's house and mortgage, thankfully it worked out in the end, but those few days where our plans were all up in the air were horrible, so have some more *hugs*!
                  Originally posted by summerkid View Post
                  I'm really sorry I can imagine how incredibly frustrating that must be. I really hope you guys catch a break.

Thanks all of you! He's quite frustrated and down about it all so I'm trying to find the right words and let him know that it's not the end of the world. It will happen, it'll just take a little longer and that's okay because the end picture is us together
                  Joey & Scott

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyBug View Post
                    Sure! The rules state that you must have met in person at least once. They also mention that you need to have spent time with each other in your countries, and it mentions about having had contact with their family. Though I think that's only if they feel it's a dodgy marriage i.e a sham or something. The only rule I've been told that they stick to is that you've met in person at least once.

There is a great forum for people looking to get visas and move from USA to the UK: www.uk-yankee.com

They have been GREAT! They've helped me and Scott find out what can help our case and gather the right documentation, like support letters from my family (and his) that we're a real couple looking to get married. They are very knowledgeable about the whole visa process - all visas, not just fiancé and spousal, but work and other ones too. They have been very helpful for me and Scott and if it's something you're looking to do (either now or in the future) I really recommend getting their advice.

Hope that helps!
                    thank you that looks really useful! my added complication is that I'm already married (in the process of divorce) so am hoping that doesn't go against me. When I go to America in August I'll finally meet his family so will have to get lots of photos of us all together then!

Comment

Originally posted by 80anthea View Post
                      thank you that looks really useful! my added complication is that I'm already married (in the process of divorce) so am hoping that doesn't go against me. When I go to America in August I'll finally meet his family so will have to get lots of photos of us all together then!
                      You have to have proof that all previous marriages and/or civil partner ships have been ended so your divorce would have to be finalised before you could apply...
                      Joey & Scott

Comment

Hope that helps!
                        You have to have proof that all previous marriages and/or civil partner ships have been ended so your divorce would have to be finalised before you could apply...
                        I suspected as much, we're only really at the talking about it stage at the moment but number one priority is the divorce.

Comment

Yup, good luck!
                          Joey & Scott

Comment

Hi there - as someone who's been through the process -- argh, I know how much those money setbacks suck!

I wish you well and hope that everything works out (which it sounds like it will, because you're taking the next step in getting the visa stuff sorted out!)

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                            X