Is this a Dutch thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a Dutch thing?

My SO was here for a visit the last couple of weeks. He just left on Tuesday. The day before he left when we first woke up he gave me a gift. I opened it up and it was what I thought at first was just a pretty gold necklace. I looked at it more and noticed the pendant resembled a gold dog tag with his first and middle name and date of birth on it. I told him thank you very much. I thought he just wanted me to have "him" around my neck and thought it cute. Then he told me that this was made by his father the day he was born and he was giving it to me. I am still kinda blown away. We have talked of kids and marriage but to me this is huge. He knew I would be over here and he had to leave and this is irreplaceable. I told him I would wear it all the time and keep it close to my heart. It was a moving moment for us as we both realized the impact of his gift. Words can't really explain it.

I am curious, is this a Dutch tradition or just something his family does? I love it no matter what. I just like to learn as much about his culture as I can and not have to ask him........"is this a Dutch thing?"
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
    Benjamin Franklin

That is really touching. I think you SHOULD ask him! It'd be a great opportunity to either learn more about his culture or more about his family.

Comment

Originally posted by mllebamako View Post
      That is really touching. I think you SHOULD ask him! It'd be a great opportunity to either learn more about his culture or more about his family.
      I agree with this, it could open up a new conversation about traditions and different cultures and help you to both learn more about the other.
      Joey & Scott
      Met: April 2002
      Lost Contact: August 2002
      Reconnected: April 2010
      Together: May 20th 2010

[COLOR="#800080"]"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

that is very sweet of him!!!
        my mother got a pair of earrings when we where born i have them now, it is not really a costum, but most men give there wife a piece of jewellery as a child is born
        and pass it on to them later when they turn 18.
        it just say's that he loves you very much and wants to have a family with you ;D

Comment

Originally posted by dragonlady View Post
          that is very sweet of him!!!
          my mother got a pair of earrings when we where born i have them now, it is not really a costum, but most men give there wife a piece of jewellery as a child is born
          and pass it on to them later when they turn 18.
          it just say's that he loves you very much and wants to have a family with you ;D
          This makes me so very happy to hear you think this. It is also why I don't want to come out and ask him. If a bigger step is around the corner I don't want to ruin any plans he might be thinking of.
          "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
          Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I've never heard of this being a tradition, but I don't know everything, thankfully

I do know that if someone did this for me I'd definitely melt.. This is sooo meaningful! You lucky girl you

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchie View Post
              I've never heard of this being a tradition, but I don't know everything, thankfully

I do know that if someone did this for me I'd definitely melt.. This is sooo meaningful! You lucky girl you
              It just took my breathe away. No man has ever done anything that touching for me in my entire life. He just made the pain hurt so much less by showing me the level of his capacity to love and commit to me and our future together.
              Benjamin Franklin

Comment

you are really lucky with him!
                @dutchie maybe it's a small village thing? dont know if your from a "big city" or smaller or where hollandia's BF is from
                in the village i come from it is/was the norm.. (for the dutch around here zuidland near spijkenisse)

Comment

I'm from a pretty small village myself, only in the south of the Netherlands... Maybe we do have that kind of tradition here as well, I'm just not aware of it.

Comment

lol! dont really know if it is a tradition or if it is just a thing they do, all well it was a awsome thing of him!

Comment

well, you could say it is a Dutch kind of thing, because I know a lot of kids getting jewelry or spoons at birth. (I'm from the north, but my parents and familly is from the west) I for instance inherited 'birth-spoons' from both of my grandparents. When I was born I got a necklace with a little silver pendant that my dad designed. And an engraved silver armband from my mom, with my date of birth, name and a sweet message. And from my grandparents I got a sterling silver serviette-ring. I never saw it as a real tradition kind of thing, but I guess it is in some area's/ families

Comment

He grew up near some suburbs in the Zuid Holland area. It is not a small village, just a short train ride from Rotterdam and even shorter bike ride to Dordretch.
                        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                        X