Help with Visas for the USA, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Visas for the USA, anyone?

After over 3 years of doing the long-distance thing, my boyfriend and I are more than ready to make the move (literally, in this case) and close the distance. I'm a Canadian citizen, and he's a Yankee born and raised (ok, so he lives in North Dakota, which is basically part of Canada. Is he still considered a Yankee if he doesn't have a Southern drawl? I digress.)

Anyways. Back to the point. For the past year, we've been exploring the option of a temporary work visa, and recently I had some success with the process. I found a potential employer, he was willing to hire me and give me a shot, and the company had lawyers going over the paperwork for the petition to get me in. It was looking good, until we hit a snag; a bunch of more qualified people applied for the job, which meant that our paperwork, sadly, ground to a halt. No blame of my (potential) employer of course - he was working really hard to get the papers done. But he just legally couldn't at that point.

So I guess my question after all of this is: what on earth should I be trying next? our Plan B is for me to save money (and pay off a student loan) for the next year, and then I could go down for 6 months as long as I promise not to work at all during that time. You can see where this plan is flawed, but worst case, my partner is willing and financially stable enough to support me. But I would have to leave the country for a full 6 months after. So it isn't ideal. And if I can avoid waiting that long before moving down - or at least start the process of moving - it would be awesome.

Any and all advice and suggestions are appreciated! We love each other so much, and are really hoping to get this figured out soon! I (and he) are just both feeling a bit lost as to what we should do right now

My SO originally moved in with me in the USA for 6 months on his tourist visa. Then when it ran out I moved to Costa Rica with him. The tourist visa is a starting point. But unfortunately, the easiest way to legally move into the USA is by having a US relative. Which mostly means getting engaged/married.

Comment

Originally posted by Svalla View Post
      So I guess my question after all of this is: what on earth should I be trying next? our Plan B is for me to save money (and pay off a student loan) for the next year, and then I could go down for 6 months as long as I promise not to work at all during that time. You can see where this plan is flawed, but worst case, my partner is willing and financially stable enough to support me. But I would have to leave the country for a full 6 months after. So it isn't ideal. And if I can avoid waiting that long before moving down - or at least start the process of moving - it would be awesome.
      I'm an American and I was living in Canada for 4 years as well as one of my friends recently married an american and she's canadian and she did this unless the bolded part changed in the past 9 months then isn't true, I was on a tourist visa in Canada for a year when my first 6 months was almost up I crossed the border into Niagara falls, NY and stayed a night and got another 6 months without them batting an eye. Also my friend was in the US for 6 months, went back to Canada for a weekend and just got back into the US on a tourist visa (this was before they got married) and didn't have any problems at all. I will say good luck though

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Originally posted by Riyko View Post
        I'm an American and I was living in Canada for 4 years as well as one of my friends recently married an american and she's canadian and she did this unless the bolded part changed in the past 9 months then isn't true, I was on a tourist visa in Canada for a year when my first 6 months was almost up I crossed the border into Niagara falls, NY and stayed a night and got another 6 months without them batting an eye. Also my friend was in the US for 6 months, went back to Canada for a weekend and just got back into the US on a tourist visa (this was before they got married) and didn't have any problems at all. I will say good luck though
        That is a really scary, dangerous plan. The general "rule" for USA visa is to stay out for more than double what you were in. I suppose border control might be okay with Canadian citizens doing this, since they're unthreatening and all. But it is not something to rely on.

Comment

Honestly, we couldn't find another way to do it but to get married. So we did. Not the greatest decision to base marriage on but we're both a bit older (28/29 at the time) and knew what we wanted. Took a year to complete the process but it was worth it. Any other way is a pain in the butt (unless it's through work).

Met: November 19, 2010
          Tim came to Texas: April 27, 2011
          Made it official: April 29, 2011
          Lori went to England: September 21, 2011
          Mini trip to Paris: September 22, 2011
          Tim popped the question: September 22, 2011
          K-1 Visa approved!: May 21, 2012
          Closed the distance!: July 26, 2012
          Got married: September 22, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Svalla View Post
            Is he still considered a Yankee if he doesn't have a Southern drawl? I digress.)
            Is this sarcasm?

Comment

Same boat here. I've found unfortunately marriage is the best choice. Leaving and coming right back is unreliable as they can say no to you at anytime. Join some school to get a student visa = big money spent on classes... Not many US places will sponser a visa..... So marriage seems the cheapest way to go... Never realized how much even a shot gun wedding will cost.....

Comment

Working...
              X