Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning his/her language? Hebrew? Programs/computer/iPad

Heya,

Who here had to learn a different language for their SO? It's not that my SO doesn't speak English! Maybe better than I do. But his family, and the rest of the country have a tendency to use Hebrew. So having a basic knowledge of the language would be nice. I already know the alphabet My SO learned me while I was there. Even got the baby practise book for it.

Anybody here who has experience with learning programs for other languages. I tried looking for classes near here, but unfortunatly there arent any. So now I'm looking online/for the iPad. The problem is, you can't "test" them. After a short while you have to pay. And you don't even have a clue if the program is any good. I'm willing to pay for something if I know it's trustworthy or a good method.

Greetings Kirsten

Hi ya!
    I'm sorry I don't have an answer to your question.
    Just wanted to reply because I myself have been learning some Hebrew (just hobby like) the past couple years.
    And I would really love to go to Israel one day.
    There are many youtube videos etc where you can learn a lot.
    Just curious, how did you and your SO meet?

Comment

Learning another language by yourself can be quite difficult and require a lot of practise and commitment.
      Online learning programs can be helpful as far as the vocabulary goes, but nothing beats actually speaking the language. There are some language learning communities online where you can exchange tips or your progress and practise your speaking skills with native speakers or people who are fluent in the language you're learning (over skype for instance) That might be quite helpful !

They are no good for me unfortunately. I'm currently trying to learn Twi and Gonja (two ghanaian languages). I've bought an online program, downloaded an app and so on, but the only time I feel like I'm getting somewhere with it, is when I use it in Ghana.

Comment

There are a lot of threads about learning language on here already, do a search and you'll find plenty of resources posted. This should get you started, it's fun, free and interactive. Live Mocha
        Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Ahava We've met in september through our Guild on GuildWars2. We we're all on teamspeak. Started talking about our countries. On April 28th I went there for a visit. We travelled around in Israel for 9 days Most awesome week ever. Learned the letters and sounds there. And yes, I can tell you it's worth it to go there! Just don't travel around on your own. I can feel a bit unsave in some area's.

Can you share some of those youtube video's? Which other means are you using to learn Hebrew?

Comment

Hi Tooshie,
            I am currently learning Norwegian through Pimsleur and it is Awesome. because I just start the program, lay down and do the exercises. It start easy but gets harder. I also downloaded free apps on my iphone which are mainly vocabulary focused. SO registered for a course which I do online... when I get a minute. Pimsleur is easier because I don't need to write anything, I rarely have to look up the vocabulary. The iphone app is good on the go because I can pull up the vocabulary games and practice anywhere. The online course is more so for bringing everything together. Can you get a book from the library? I'd try children's books and build from there. I also heard a tip from someone who said everyday they would "read" the newspaper in the foreign language and try to make out what the story is about. I try that with Norwegian and it does feel great to pick up stuff here and there... it feels like progress is being made.
            SO and I practice every time on skype for about a minute then we revert back to English, which SO speaks quite well!
            I've been stuck now and then trying to figure out which article to put before each word but SO told me not to worry as it takes a while to just 'know' which to use... he told me to stick to a particular form that is fail-proof.
            Well good luck with your learning Hebrew, keep at it and you'll be surprise how much you pick up fast.

Comment

Do you know if the Israeli government provides any government-developed options for learning Hebrew? I don't *need* to learn Estonian (my GF's native language) but the Estonian government recently updated it's online language program to be supported in English. I would go for the government program as they are usually well-developed and in line with their language requirements for citizenship etc.

Livemocha is also a good resource. I paid for an Estonian app and it's pretty good and I also have a phrase/grammar book that's useful as well. Nothing can match a native speaker though.
              Last edited by Tooki; May 19, 2013, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tooshie View Post
                Heya,

Who here had to learn a different language for their SO? It's not that my SO doesn't speak English! Maybe better than I do. But his family, and the rest of the country have a tendency to use Hebrew. So having a basic knowledge of the language would be nice. I already know the alphabet My SO learned me while I was there. Even got the baby practise book for it.

Anybody here who has experience with learning programs for other languages. I tried looking for classes near here, but unfortunatly there arent any. So now I'm looking online/for the iPad. The problem is, you can't "test" them. After a short while you have to pay. And you don't even have a clue if the program is any good. I'm willing to pay for something if I know it's trustworthy or a good method.

Greetings Kirsten
                I have been working on Dutch for some time now. I broke down and bought the Rosetta Stone. I also now have a study buddy and that is helping me a lot.
                "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                Benjamin Franklin

Comment

To add to moon's suggestion of live mocha I would also recommend Interpals

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Once you get more a less a hold of the alphabet I would start reading. Reading kids books with pictures, or stories you already know really helps.

Comment

Another site which allows you to connect with native speakers is Conversation Exchange. My SO found it to be a pretty useful resource when trying to better his Spanish skills. Alternatively, kids' videos can be good for picking up simple words and phrases, as well as getting used to the sounds of the language. The father of the little girl I babysit is Iranian, and he bought a ton of DVDs in Hebrew for her. I watch them with her sometimes and they seem quite easy to follow - even to me, who has no notions of the language whatsoever

Comment

Working...
                      X