Setting yourself up in another country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting yourself up in another country?

Where did you move to? Was it easy? Challanges you faced? my SO is coming over to Canada in about 8 months but we both like to be prepared and have details worked out in theory. He can stay with me and my family for the first month or two but wants his own place as soon as possible, any advice? personal experience? tips? Thanks!!
    sigpic

Distance tears couples apart. But if we can get through over a year without even meeting... Thats special...
    -Connor<3

I moved to London and while some people will argue it's not that expensive... My Wal Mart loving tush says "hog wash!" to it all. Was it easy? No, but moving is never easy. I needed a visa, arrange for paper work, forms and different files, I had to close accounts and get together a job. Fortunately, I found a great one as an au pair for a Canadian family. They are cool beans and honestly the boys are such amazing little guys! Anyways, I've found a "real/professional" job and will be moving within England for that.

Culture Shock: things that's would be impolite in Canada are sometimes perfectly acceptable here or vice versa.

Food: finding things that I liked. Obviously, a differen country implies a different diet and therefore food is inspired by the location. It took some trial and error but now I have things that I LOVE to eat and drink. Even though I still want a Timmies.

Money: it's never enough. You need more. Budget more and assume even then you'll need more.

Living: apartment searching has been a month long trial and tribulation. I've called, texted, emailed and communicated by smoke. Sometimes to just be ignored or told that I'm "too young".

Social life: making friends is a bit easier. Everyone is curious about you and you them. He'll need to have a life outside you and you'll have to maintain yours.

Comment

Based on what people I know have experienced when they moved to Canada, your SO should have little problems with the cultural side of it. Canadians seem to be very similar to Australians.

Money wise, he should save up as much as he can. Your SO should also only bring over things that are unavailable in Canada because most (if not all) things are cheaper in Canada than in Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
        Based on what people I know have experienced when they moved to Canada, your SO should have little problems with the cultural side of it. Canadians seem to be very similar to Australians.

Money wise, he should save up as much as he can. Your SO should also only bring over things that are unavailable in Canada because most (if not all) things are cheaper in Canada than in Australia.
        They aren't that much like us. I love Canadians but they are a different breed.

I moved to Canada from here. And then we moved back.

The one obvious thing we didn't think about was getting licenses changed over and stuff. When I went to get my license in Canada, I needed an additional document to explain what my license said. I can't give specifics because it was a long time ago and I don't remembert, but have a talk to the respective road authorities in both your countries to make sure you have what you'll need.

Like digi said, there was a culture shock, things I think are rude they have no problem with etc.

Oh and warn him how much your phones cost over there, I wished someone had warned me! Haha. Like Tooki said, lots of things are cheaper there, but other things are stupidly high - and paying to receive calls and texts falls into that category!

Also I really struggled with the weather (I was near Vancouver) so if he's the out-doorsy type, you'll need a plan so he doesn't get grey like the sky.
        Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Ah shoosh . Be thankful that your SO speaks English, language barriers can be worse than cultural barriers.

If your SO is from Tasmania/Melbourne, he should be fine with the muggy weather.

Comment

Well I'm in the same boat as you - having my SO move to my country. It is quite big and there are so many unknowns, I also like to be someone who has a plan and knows how things will look step by step... I kind of have had to let go of that mentality with this international move.. there are just too many things that you CAN'T know before hand and have to take step by step, day by day...

It's really hard to let go of needing a definite plan and 'knowing' - I constantly struggle with it and have to reassure myself.. but in the end there will be rough spots that we have to work through, and we will get through them. Gotta tell myself that nothing is definite and even if he lived in my country already there would still be unknowns and things we can't control.

Before you know it you'll be on the other side of the move and he will be all set up and you guys will be living the close distance lifestyle
            Met Online: February 2009
            Feelings grew: January 2011
            First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
            Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
            Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
            Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
            Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
            Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
            Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
            Engaged: 1st of July 2012
            Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
            Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
            Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
            Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
            Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
            Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

The weather. Warn that poor guy about our weather. People joke but they just don't know.

Comment

For me when I moved to Canada for college I had no issues as I got everything I needed done ahead of time and got my visa at the border, but depending on the country you are from it can be harder as well as the part of Canada he'll be living in.

The major issue I had was getting an apartment in Toronto once I finished school as I didn't have a co-signer and I also didn't meet the other requirement of having a SIN(social insurance number) and a job, after a lot of searching I was lucky enough to find an apartment that was willing to wave those requirements to let me stay in Canada so I could work (2 weeks later I got a job and a SIN). Just beware as that could be an issue he might run into when he wants to get his own place

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Working...
                X