Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curious about residency (Canada/England)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curious about residency (Canada/England)

Hey everybody,

My girlfriend and I have been together for about 8 months after meeting in University, she left today to go back home for at least a year. I am thinking about the future and wondering what it would take to get her to stay here for a long period of time (a year roughly?). Now she came on a student visa for the duration of abroad studies. I'm wondering what it would take to get her here legally and off to a good start for permanent residency eventually. I know she has considered doing another program for school be it for 2 or 4 years. But to be here and do well she would have to work. I know I don't really have any information to help anybody too much because I'm just thinking roughly but I would really appreciate some help in any way as to what it may take. If it helps we are 20 and 21. I really do appreciate any help.

Canada is a commonwealth of England so it shouldn't be too hard for her to get to Canada/england which ever you live in. All she'd have to do is look for working holiday visas in said country and apply it's even easier if she's a recent uni grad or still in school

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Am I right to assume that she was in Canada on Exchange studies and not to complete a Canadian degree?

If she is willing to not study straight away, your girlfriend could get a Working Holiday Visa in Canada and take it from there.

Comment

Yeah you'd be right, she was just on an exchange year. I've looked into holiday visas and student visas and something called a K1. It does seem possible but the end goal of eventually living here permanently seems a bit fuzzy to me.

Comment

Any goal of living permanently within a foreign country is fuzzy!

I guess in the end it will matter on luck and opportunity - where you search and if you search at the right time.

Getting a student visa sounds easier than the job one for a start, since jobs involve more risk and less reliability.
          I'm sure you could give her a helping hand there in the beginning until she finds a job, once she's there for her studies.

Comment

A K1 visa is to the states, but there are similar things to the UK or Canada. One option could be for her to do the YMS visa (Tier 5 visa in the UK) and to live together for the full 2 years of the visa. Then you could apply for an unmarried partner visa (https://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/v...led/spouse-cp/) with having to prove your relationship (and you have to have been living together for 2 years but not necessarily married) or a fiancee visa, depending on when/if you want to get married.

That's basically what my SO and I are doing long term, except that I'll be going to university here in the UK

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
            Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

Working...
            X