Flight pricing sucks! Gr-r-r-r!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flight pricing sucks! Gr-r-r-r!

When I returned from B's in April, I priced flights for August and they were around $1,000 - $1100. I thought "Cool! I can pay down my credit card and get the ticket in July!" NOT!! I checked again today and the same flight is now $1300!!! Which means the closer I get to July, the higher the cost will be!

Why can't they just leave the price alone? G-r-rr-r-r!! (Ok, rant over)
    February 2012 -- met online
    August 2012 -- he said "I love you."
    April 2013 -- met in person
    June 2013 -- broke up
    July 2013 -- back together
    August 2013 -- 2nd visit
    October 20, 2013 -- He proposed!
    April 22, 2014 -- Married/closed the distance!

Yep flight prices suck. Unless you are in Europe.

Comment

I must agree!! The Canada to Europe ones are brutal.... as are the Europe to Canada... especially in the summer, or any time you have holidays....

Comment

I hear you, Benni.
        Mine are around 1400 Euros and the last time I checked there were only 6 seats left for the economy class.
        Worst thing is: I can't buy them yet and my Visa appointment is in July. Gaaahhh!

Comment

Story of my life. I'll be lucky to get a return flight for $1700.

Comment

Just wanted to remind you guys to CLEAR your cookies/internet history data completely when searching for flights! (it's been said before.. but it's important!) they often bump the price up an extra $100 according to your searches.

Also, Benni I'd consider that not bad at all of a 'price jump' - $few hundred jumps are fairly common once you hit certain increments of time away from the flight.. I hate to say it but booking in July for an August flight probably won't go in your favour either - from my experience of buying tickets from Aus to the UK (so not exactly relevant to you.. but still might apply) I've found that buying the tickets a month (or less) until the flight date you end up paying that bit extra, that month from a flight you can't really count on any price - gotta book in advance or just cross your fingers and swallow the costs if you really can only book a month beforehand.
            Met Online: February 2009
            Feelings grew: January 2011
            First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
            Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
            Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
            Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
            Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
            Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
            Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
            Engaged: 1st of July 2012
            Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
            Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
            Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
            Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
            Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
            Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

If I'm traveling in the summer I NEVER book my flights later than March. Otherwise the prices become ridiculous.
              I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by Jazi View Post
                Just wanted to remind you guys to CLEAR your cookies/internet history data completely when searching for flights! (it's been said before.. but it's important!) they often bump the price up an extra $100 according to your searches.
                Yes, I know to do that. Thanks for the feedback everyone. I guess I'm going to have to learn to make reservations for the next trip as soon as I get back from the previous trip!
                Last edited by Benni; June 2, 2013, 09:27 AM.
                June 2013 -- broke up
                August 2013 -- 2nd visit

Comment

I have a dilemma that maybe ya'll can help me with (didn't know whether to make a separate thread or continue here).....

B is sending me his half of my airfare this week. My problem is I don't have enough balance on my credit card for the entire airfare. Is it better to:

A -- Use his money to pay down my credit card then use the card for the entire fare. OR ...

B -- Use his money from my bank account and combine it with half the airfare from my credit card, then pay the airfare that way.

I'm horrible at math/finances and not very clear-headed about this. Besides, if I combine the money from 2 sources, how do I pay for the ticket -- will they take payment from 2 sources?????
                  June 2013 -- broke up
                  August 2013 -- 2nd visit

Comment

Airlines don't accept split payments

Will you be able to repay the credit card balance on time if you book the flight? That's the important question.

Comment

Us Air lets you use Bill Me Later, you apply for instant credit and if you get it you can link it to your Paypal account and pay it back with different accounts. This is how I bought last ticket because my SO is going to send me half of my ticket costs when he gets his holiday pay.
                      "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

There's no way I could pay back my credit bill by the due date -- I've been paying as much as I can to get it down but it will take months to do that.

I was just checking into my PayPal account and found that I can use my bank card AND my credit card. But I don't understand if that means I can use both for the same purchase. *sigh*
                        June 2013 -- broke up
                        August 2013 -- 2nd visit

Comment

Originally posted by Benni View Post
                          There's no way I could pay back my credit bill by the due date -- I've been paying as much as I can to get it down but it will take months to do that.

I was just checking into my PayPal account and found that I can use my bank card AND my credit card. But I don't understand if that means I can use both for the same purchase. *sigh*
                          Bill me Later is a Paypal service that you use to pay for the purchase and then you can pay back through your Paypal account.
                          https://www.billmelater.com/index.xhtml
                          "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                          Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Thanks bunches. I've read through the info but didn't see where I could pay part with my bank account and part with my credit card -- I am such an idiot when it comes to this stuff.
                            June 2013 -- broke up
                            August 2013 -- 2nd visit

Comment

Originally posted by Benni View Post
                              Thanks bunches. I've read through the info but didn't see where I could pay part with my bank account and part with my credit card -- I am such an idiot when it comes to this stuff.
                              I think your best bet would be to pay down the card and use the card. If you do want to avoid that then you can try a few other things.

I do believe Western Union allows you to send money to an bank account using both credit cards and bank accounts. They do charge a fee for it, so he could send you his money to your bank account and you could send money to your bank account with your using your card and then use your debit card to pay for ticket once all the funds arrive to your bank account.

They do make it hard to use credit cards for some things You could also pay the higher interest and pull a cash advance from your credit card and add that to the monies in your bank account that he sends to you and then again use the debit card.

You can also use Xoom to send money to him by your credit card directly to his international bank and then have him send it back to you along with his portion and again use your debit card for purchase.

Xoom is a money transfer company for international transfers and it is owned by Walmart.
                              https://www.xoom.com/netherlands;jse...CDD566B6065F93

These are a bit more complicated I would be happy to help you if you need me to explain in more detail. I have to juggle money a lot for business and my LDR costs.
                              Last edited by Hollandia; June 2, 2013, 07:43 PM.
                              Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X