Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How clingy is too clingy and LDR attitudes from outsiders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How clingy is too clingy and LDR attitudes from outsiders?

Is it reasonable to accept that your SO will be more clingy than if you were in a CDR? How clingy is too clingy to you? (My SO is on the clingier side but i dont mind, while some of my friends cannot tollerate it one bit.) Also another question what is the general attitude about LDR's in your area? (people in my area are kinda set in their old ways and the idea that you love a person but have never met them seems incomprehensable to them) please answer freely and stories of personal experience and your opinions are obviously always welcome
    sigpic

Distance tears couples apart. But if we can get through over a year without even meeting... Thats special...
    -Connor<3

i think when u love someone they can never be clingy or 2 clingy me n my boyfriend literally been talking 24/7 since i wake up till i go sleep, and we dont get tired of that

Comment

I feel like after a certain point, clinginess becomes smothering. Out of the two of us, I'm the clingy one. But recently, it's really died down. But if I get insecure or upset, it gets worse.

First met: June 2012
      Became Committed: June 04, 2012
      Entered an LDR: July 01, 2012
      Next Visit: October 2013!

XXX XXX

Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle, rather a beautiful reminder of just how strong true love can be.

Comment

It all depends on how you view it yourself. My boyfriend used to think I was too clingy and I probably was. It took me some time to get used to the thought of giving him his space and now we're doing great! If you think it's okay and it doesn't bother you / she is not restricting you then everything is fine :P

As for the other question - my family and friends think I am crazy to be dating an American and that it won't work out. My whole family thought I was crazy when it all started, but now it's getting better slowly (or so I think). There's still a lot of passive aggression towards it and they don't want to get to know him whatsoever thinking that it won't work out either way, which is in fact very hurtful, but we've been together for over a year and it worked perfectly fine so far.
        His family on the contrary was fine with the idea of him dating an Austrian girl he has never met before from the very start. Hah, how I wish my family was like his :P

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
        First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
        Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
        Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
        Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
        Married: 1/24/2015
        Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Any clingy is too clingy. I love hanging out but if I need my space you better leave me alone.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
            Any clingy is too clingy. I love hanging out but if I need my space you better leave me alone.
            Ditto. I think I am LESS clingy when long-distance because I HAVE to go do stuff, we can't do everything together.

I know several people, now, who met their LD partners online and one who hasn't yet met theirs. When I was in this situation, I did not know anyone else who had been in my shoes and mostly kept it hidden. (Which I don't necessarily recommend; just how I went about mine.)

Now, people are very understanding of my current relationship because we are long distance due to education. That seems pretty "normal" to people around here.
            ~~~

Comment

I CANT tolerate it. It ANNOYS me. To no end.

Comment

Out of the two of us im the clingy one, but I think Im more clingy when were long distance. But then.... in person we spend nearly all our time together. But thats because we go months without seeing each other in between, out of the two of us he would probably need to go out first. But he's always put me on his priority list and makes time for me every day, were like a old married couple, and I love it lol He says im not to clingy, and that I could be more :P so we'll see once we close the distance if he still wants me all the time, I hope so lol
                I love you Nathan <3
                sigpic
                5/25/09 <3

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                  Yep. When I'm annoyed, chances are you're just going to make it worse, so leave me the heck alone. Yes, even my SO. Yep.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
                  Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
                  Progress: Working on it.

Comment

I'm the clingy one and I'll admit it that it's not a good thing...I'm working really hard at dealing with it because it gets kinda overwhelming for my SO and she doesn't need that. I'm doing good so far!

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
                    Married April 18th, 2015!!
                    Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

I despise clingy, I couldn't be with a clingy man, I like my space. Being too clingy is a definite deal breaker for me.
                      Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

At the beginning of our relationship I was so clingy I almost ruined everything for good. It's easy to believe that because you are long-distance you "owe" it to each other to be in constant contact. Thankfully I got over it and I really appreciate how independent we are from each other. Not sure how well that will translate into CD, but I'm certain we can manage.
                        I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

well, I'm not really clingy and neither is he no big deal if one of us doesn't respond for a day, or just need some time with friends. I don't like clingy people that expect that they are always priority number one. And for accepting LDR: my parents liked Marcus the moment they saw him, and never really had any problems with it. There were the comments at first: 'you choose it, so you shouldn't be too sad in the meantime you are apart' and 'going again? do you have enough money for that?', but in general they are fine with whatever decision I make. (not that they have any say in it anyways.....)
                          Last edited by charly; June 3, 2013, 06:57 AM.

Comment

As others have said "clingy" is relative. In the beginning of a relationship, I think it's normal to talk a lot, communicate a lot, and want to spend all of your time together. As time progresses and you get to know each other it's also normal for things to die down a little.

I'm a little strange. When I have had local relationships, I get really annoyed if someone calls me multiple times a day, needs to stay in constant communication, etc. Now that I'm in a LDR, I have relaxed that a lot. In fact, I actually WELCOME the increased communication since we don't get to see each other. However, there's nothing wrong with realizing that after a certain time period, things may die down a little (something that I personally wish I would have let happen earlier now...)

Every relationship is different. You have to do what works for you.

Comment

I think my SO spoils me with communication! We have managed to reciprocate some type of conversation every single day since we've been apart {except for now, he has a two week field excursion without his phone; talk about withdrawals hahah}. There are certain instances during the day we have grown to expect to communicate with the other - even if he's having a late night, he'll call me so we can exchange 20 seconds of "good night, I love you." And sometimes we might grow a little antsy with the other if one of us is being unresponsive. But I wouldn't say anything overly clingly. I think there are times in every relationship where one partner is feeling insecure and needs reassurance, and one handles that accordingly. I do think I have a tendency to be clingy, but because I don't want to add unnecessary damage to our relationship, I try to manage it the best I can.

Comment

Working...
                              X