Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Student Applying for Permanent Residency Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Student Applying for Permanent Residency Help!

I have a lawyer but its hard still!. Short version because I am still a student and we want this done before I have to leave the country (after graduation) I am working on my application well my SO is 11,000 miles away (he'll be here with me in 2-3 months) has anyone ever done this?? I would love to talk with some one who has!

Are you applying for PR on the grounds of your study in the US?

I have friends who are applying for and have applied for a similar visa in Australia. Their issue seems to be more on the end of satisfying the English language requirements (they are secondary speakers) than other areas.

I wish you well! Just do your best to satisfy the criteria down to the dot!

Comment

Not really I am actually applying to speech therapy school next year (its hard and may not get in) which is the issue I don't want to be apart agian. Because I am marrying an American I applying for PR in the U.S so if I don't get in to school again I won't have to leave. Its really complicated in the U.S, but thanks for the luck!

Comment

Originally posted by newyorkrunner5 View Post
        Not really I am actually applying to speech therapy school next year (its hard and may not get in) which is the issue I don't want to be apart agian. Because I am marrying an American I applying for PR in the U.S so if I don't get in to school again I won't have to leave. Its really complicated in the U.S, but thanks for the luck!
        Oh right, so you are just applying for a visa on the basis of marriage then? If that is so, there are lots of people on here who can help you with that.

Comment

Yeah basically, and good! Its so stressful!

Comment

visajourney.com !!!!!

Ditch the lawyer ASAP. They charge you a ton and really make things more difficult. They also dish out tons of misinformation to try to get more $$ out of you. I applied for residency for my husband (CR-1 visa) in March. Just playing the waiting game now.

Comment

As a student after you are married you can apply for adjustment of visa status. It takes about a year and has lots of rules about it. It is best to have proof of relationship and the general saying is that the longer you've been married the higher your chances of being approved. It costs...anywhere upwards of 2k if I remember correctly. The USCIS website has a lot of information if you can just find the links for your specific visa types.

I haven't been through the process, but I did all the research thinking I was going to. We decided not to do it because we plan on leaving the US soon after I graduate.

Comment

Thanks! Geeze I've got a lot to think about!

Comment

Working...
                X