Many people think hes a catfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many people think hes a catfish

My boyfriend Greg and I have been friends for while, but I know hes real because I know where he works I've talked to him on Skype, but my mother thinks he is a catfish. I'm not sure how to make her understand that hes coming to see me soon and hes real. Our age difference made it for us to begin with. Can someone give me advice to how to deal with my mother?

In the end, parents are parents and they worry about their kids. I think most of the parents I know would react like that, wondering if it is safe. Her reaction sure isn't strange, I am sure that my mother would act the same way as yours does now.
    I think it is a great thing that you actually told her though, I guess that must've been a bit scary to do.

What you could do is make a skype call with him, and introduce him to your mother! So that she could actually speak with him, even if it just for a small moment. Especially a video call would be a good thing. Your mother will be able to see that he is who he says he is that way.
    To me, this sounds like the easiest and possible quickest sollution - if it works.

One thing... you say you know where he works and you have been talking to him on skype. Have you guys actually videocalled? Do you know where he lives? Facebook profile? ( or other social media :v) You don't have to answer me, but you could show your mother all those things. Like...evidence that he is a real person.

I wish you the best of luck! c:
    You used to be much more..."muchier." You've lost your muchness

Comment

I could google what you mean and take a guess, but I haven't had my first cuppa, so I'm saying this instead. Don't assume everyone watches the same TV or movies that you do and are going to understand what you say based on cultural knowledge. (I assume it's a term from TV, but maybe it's some high-school lingo that hasn't reached my island yet?) If you speak plainly people outside your cultural sphere and hermits like me who don't own TV will be better able to help you.

Welcome to the forums
      Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I have no idea what catfish means either. I think I've got an idea, but it's a term I've never seen or heard used before.

Comment

Catfish is mainly known for this documentary, about a man who found a girlfriend online, but she turned out to be a fraud :3 Now there is this show about it on MTV, which he helps young people meet the lovers they got to know online in order to find out if they are fake or not, so if they are catfish or not.
          I guess it is more known under the MTV watchers ^^" I haven't heard the term elsewhere either.
          You used to be much more..."muchier." You've lost your muchness

Comment

Make your mother see that he is a real person - talk about him, share stories and maybe make your mom see him on skype so she knows who that person is you're spending a lot of time with

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
            First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
            Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
            Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
            Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
            Married: 1/24/2015
            Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Yes I know all his information and I know his family information too. They have talked on the phone, but at the moment they cant video chat because he is with his father while he is ill. Greg and I have chatted on video calls before. The main thing my mom is concerned about is I'm going to go to Scotland and get hurt, it was hard to tell my mom his real age but she accepted it with time. Thank you fo your advice

Comment

I'd just wait it out. If he's going to come see you in person then there is no need to try and convince her. Just wait till her comes and introduce them Simples!

Comment

Yes, video call with your mom next to you... Probably uncomfortable but the only way he will get 'real' for her.
                  Especially if you want to visit him!

A note about Catfish:
                  All LDR's should watch this show.. The guy's that present the whole thing are really good. It's not another "16 and pregnant" type of MTV show, it's actually good!
                  Its heartbreaking to see some of these stories since 95% of are fake and some of them have been hanging on to this fake love for years...
                  But there are also some success stories! Episode 4 of season 2 restored my 'faith in humanity' so to say

Comment

I haven't watched MTV in like 20 years - in fact I don't even have MTV, lol.

But yes, like others here have said, letting your mom see him on Skype should assure her he's real and make her worry a lot less.

Comment

I think Mellow had a great idea with introducing your mom to him on skype, or even maybe just a phone call (if your SO is comfortable with that). My mother is highly suspicious of people over the internet. I told her about my relationship and she didn't seem to take it very seriously. She called him a "pen pal" and she's happy that talking to him makes me happy... until I told him we are planning a visit. Didn't like that too much but I assured her that he's trust worthy.

I'm not a huge MTV watcher but I have seen a few of the catfish shows. I don't know what season or what episode it was, but the first one I watched was great and gave me a lot of hope.

Comment

This happened to me, because my fiance and I met online. My mom was just trying to look out for me (although I was a brat about it at the time) so I understand looking back. It's one of the things about an LDR where you haven't met the person yet. Gets better as time goes on

a gente se completa neste abraço

Comment

I thought the term "catfish" became more widely known after it came out that high profile college football player had been catfished -- the girl he met online, loved and he thought had died of leukemia -- was fake.

When we love, it isn't because the person's perfect, it's because we learn to see an imperfect person perfectly.

True love does not worry about the distance between, for the heart and soul travels through one's words

When two people are meant for each other, no time is too long, no distance is too far, and no one can ever tear them apart.

1 universe, 9 planets, 7 continents, 194 countries, 50 states and 10 provinces...and I had the privilege to meet you.

Comment

You say you've talked to him on Skype. Do you mean a voice call? or a video call? That'd kinda be a red flag for me. But if you've actually seen him in video chat just ignore the others. Also, if his cam doesn't work or whatever then have him write the day's date on his hand and take a picture.

Comment

I can speak from experience here, my SO mum thought I was a catfish before I met him. I think it's because MTVs Catfish was what everyone was talking about at the time, then along comes me, some girl off the Internet he's never met! I can understand the worry though, it's his mum! We decided the best thing to do was introduce her to me on Skype.. And it went perfectly fine! I think that she was concerned on my first visit to see him, but I think thats just part of being a parent. Now I've met her twice in person and she's extremely happy for us! My mum wasn't convinced he was a catfish (she wouldn't know what one was)she just wanted to be introduced to him and make sure he would look after me! Skype is the best way I think! Goodluck

Comment

Working...
                              X