Dealing with worry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealing with worry?

I'm struggling at the moment since my SO lives in Egypt, with everything that is going on there... It's such a mess.
    Every time he isn't online, or I haven't heard from him, I panic and think of the worst. I mean, I'm sure I'd be fine if this stuff wasn't happening, but it's the thought of something happening and me not knowing. It's terrifying.
    I've tried so hard to distract myself, but I just can't seem to keep my mind off of it.

Anyone in a similar situation? Or does anyone have any advice?
    It'd be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Chlo; August 16, 2013, 11:45 AM.

I don't have any advice unfortunately but I feel for you and can sort of understand what it's like. My SO lives in NZ, in Wellington with big earthquakes happening every other minute right now. I feel worried and keep checking the news reports all the time, which only enhances my worry :/ And when he doesn't reply straight away to my messages or I don't see him online I instantly picture the worst things happening. I've been thinking too I should try to distract myself, but it doesn't work..

I hope things quieten down in Egypt soon!!

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear about your SO in NZ. I hope the earthquakes die down soon!
      I do the same with the news reports, and it's true that it only makes me worry more.

Thank you for sharing though

Comment

My SO lives in a pretty tough area. He has lost friends due to shootings and has been in a few sticky predicaments himself. I worry about him constantly. Over the years I've gotten a little better at dealing with it, but it's still incredibly difficult. I'm not sure if there's any way to necessarily stop worrying, but you can make it so that your SO is sympathetic to your worries which does help a lot. After a few flip outs on my SO, he tries his best to reassure me that he's okay or that he will be okay before we lose contact with one another. I've found that it actually helps out tons. I'm also very aware of his schedule and tend to know where he is at all times, and he tries to give me an idea of when he should be back home. We've also made it a habit to tell each other "Goodnight" every single night and it's sort of like saying "Hey, I'm at home safe in my bed, all is well". It's become such a comfort that I literally can't sleep at night unless we tell each other goodnight (even at times where I know he's just passed out and has forgotten to say it..)

But yeah, my SO knows how I worry and that I have some anxiety issues so he is very sympathetic to that and tries his best to make sure I know that he's safe. Voice how you feel to your SO so that he understands and can be there to comfort you. Trust me, it helps a whole lot! As far as dealing with it on your own, I've found that busying myself works wonders. I'm a huge reader so reading definitely calms me down. ^^

Comment

Thank you princessmaria

We do all this sort of thing too, I have spoken to him about it, and he does attempt to reassure me every single time..
          Bless him.. I must be such a pain sometimes. *Facedesk*
          I guess I just need to get better with distracting myself. I'm sorry to hear your SO also lives in a tough area.

Comment

I feel a lot of sympathy for you people. My SO is not in a dangerous area or situation, but I'm a natural worrier so I get uneasy if I don't hear from him when I should.
            I guess the lesson for me is never end a conversation on bad terms as you never know what could happen - for anyone, anywhere.

The only thing I can think to tell you is if you are worried don't let yourself get worked up, have something that calms you down (someone mentioned reading) and distract yourself til you hear from your SO.

Comment

Originally posted by lea22 View Post
              I feel a lot of sympathy for you people. My SO is not in a dangerous area or situation, but I'm a natural worrier so I get uneasy if I don't hear from him when I should.
              I guess the lesson for me is never end a conversation on bad terms as you never know what could happen - for anyone, anywhere.

The only thing I can think to tell you is if you are worried don't let yourself get worked up, have something that calms you down (someone mentioned reading) and distract yourself til you hear from your SO.
              Thanks for the reply.
              I'm a natural worrier too, which doesn't really help my situation!
              But thankfully my SO has been contacting me regularly the past couple of days, so I know he is safe.
              I try to never end a conversation on bad terms, I tend to just get fustrated further if I do. Plus, I'd hate for anything to happen.. But let's not think of that!

Comment

I had that in my previous LDR - he lived in Hawaii and there were a few tsunami warnings. I tried to stay calm but I basically watched the news like a hawk until he got up and contacted me. That was really all I COULD do.

Sorry that's not such great advice, but I do sympathize.

When we love, it isn't because the person's perfect, it's because we learn to see an imperfect person perfectly.

True love does not worry about the distance between, for the heart and soul travels through one's words

When two people are meant for each other, no time is too long, no distance is too far, and no one can ever tear them apart.

1 universe, 9 planets, 7 continents, 194 countries, 50 states and 10 provinces...and I had the privilege to meet you.

Comment

Working...
                X